+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will learning French help?

Estefania

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
Hello,
I am wondering if learning French would help me get a (well-paid) job in Canada, more specifically Toronto. I am open to work in the tourism industry, customer service, teaching... if you have any leads it would help me a lot since I'm kinda lost here. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I am wondering if learning French would help me get a (well-paid) job in Canada, more specifically Toronto. I am open to work in the tourism industry, customer service, teaching... if you have any leads it would help me a lot since I'm kinda lost here. Thanks
Sure, knowing French fluently can give you an advantage in applying for jobs. I would recommend you spend time looking through job postings in the industries you are interested in on job sites such as indeed, job bank and linkedin to see what employers are looking for.

For teaching, you generally need additional certifications. It's a significantly larger effort to be certified to teach.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,
What is well paying to you? It will help you get a job if the job posted requires French and English, but not necessarily more money. Toronto is not really a bilingual city so most jobs may not require French and English. Are you a teaCher with a B.Ed.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello,
Depends where in Toronto..speaking Hindi or Mandarin is widely spoken there

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For many federal governent positions being bilingual in French and English is required. If you are a licensed teacher in your home country and have explored getting licensed in Canada there is a large demand for French teachers. You would have to reach a certain level of French before you would be able to teach in French. Many jobs in Toronto don’t require French and a large portion of customer service jobs are not located in Toronto. Many are located in smaller communities or in provinces where pay rates are lower or offshore. They are required to provide services in English or French. If you are trying to secure employment I would suggest investing in other qualifications before French lessons.