+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tourist Visa Extension

Andyg

Aug 29, 2020
Hi guys,
Part 1-Can we extend the TRV from within Canada?
The website says we can but the processing time is over 170 days, does this mean that once you apply and get an acknowledgement we can consider the TRV is renewed?
Part 2- If we hold a TRV for USA then is it usual for people to go to and fro between USA and Canada?
Asking for parents who would like to stay with kids across US and Canada.

Thanks,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,
Part 1-Can we extend the TRV from within Canada?
The website says we can but the processing time is over 170 days, does this mean that once you apply and get an acknowledgement we can consider the TRV is renewed?
Part 2- If we hold a TRV for USA then is it usual for people to go to and fro between USA and Canada?
Asking for parents who would like to stay with kids across US and Canada.

Thanks,
Make sure you are applying for the right thing.

Are you looking to remain in Canada longer? If so then an extension is the right thing to apply for.

If your TRV is expiring and you want to be able to travel in and out of Canada, then you would apply for a new TRV.

An application isn't approved until you get the actual approval.

In terms of traveling between Canada and the US, sure, people do this. I'm not sure how usual this is. Sooner or later you would want to return to your home county and not simply go between Canada and the US constantly.

Andyg

Aug 29, 2020
Make sure you are applying for the right thing.

Are you looking to remain in Canada longer? If so then an extension is the right thing to apply for.

If your TRV is expiring and you want to be able to travel in and out of Canada, then you would apply for a new TRV.

An application isn't approved until you get the actual approval.

In terms of traveling between Canada and the US, sure, people do this. I'm not sure how usual this is. Sooner or later you would want to return to your home county and not simply go between Canada and the US constantly.
Thanks for the reply.

To clarify a few things.
TRV is valid until 2025 and current 6 month period ends around Jan 2023.
So ideally can we apply for an extension towards Dec 2023 and assume that the visitor visa gets extended?
When I checked the portal the processing time says 170 days does that mean we apply now and wait for a confirmation of extension?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the reply.

To clarify a few things.
TRV is valid until 2025 and current 6 month period ends around Jan 2023.
So ideally can we apply for an extension towards Dec 2023 and assume that the visitor visa gets extended?
When I checked the portal the processing time says 170 days does that mean we apply now and wait for a confirmation of extension?
Thanks for the additional details. No you should not apply now. It's too early. You should apply in early January. Once you submit the application your parents will have implied status until a decision is made.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just to clarify during implied status they can only remain in Canada. Once they leave Canada they will reenter like a new visitor. If they do leave and visit the US they should withdraw their extension application. If they are trying to remain out of their country and go back and forth between the US and Canada usually at a certain point CBSA will notice that they aren’t ever returning to their home country and ask about what their longterm plans are, when they plan on returning to their home country, that visitor visas are not meant to allow people to live longterm between their children’s homes in 2 countries, etc. With TRVs they will also reach a point where they no longer get extensions to remain in Canada. Essentially they need to plan to return home at a certain point and reestablish ties to their home country.

Andyg

Aug 29, 2020
Thank you for the reply.
One more question.

Current TRV valid until 2025 June
Current stay valid date Jan 8th 2023
I will apply for the visitor visa extension on Dec 1st 2022
Processing time is 170 days (current time)
It certainly means we can stay until processing time as you mentioned.
Just to clarify during implied status they can only remain in Canada. Once they leave Canada they will reenter like a new visitor. If they do leave and visit the US they should withdraw their extension application. If they are trying to remain out of their country and go back and forth between the US and Canada usually at a certain point CBSA will notice that they aren’t ever returning to their home country and ask about what their longterm plans are, when they plan on returning to their home country, that visitor visas are not meant to allow people to live longterm between their children’s homes in 2 countries, etc. With TRVs they will also reach a point where they no longer get extensions to remain in Canada. Essentially they need to plan to return home at a certain point and reestablish ties to their home country.
Thanks a lot for the clarity.
Yes the idea is to go to the home country soon too.
On a side note, how does the extension look, since the processing time itself is 180 odd days, what is the outcome of the process?
Since we also will have to plan the exit accordingly.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
One more question.

Current TRV valid until 2025 June
Current stay valid date Jan 8th 2023
I will apply for the visitor visa extension on Dec 1st 2022
Processing time is 170 days (current time)
It certainly means we can stay until processing time as you mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the clarity.
Yes the idea is to go to the home country soon too.
On a side note, how does the extension look, since the processing time itself is 180 odd days, what is the outcome of the process?
Since we also will have to plan the exit accordingly.
You essentially wait to get processed and visit like you have been in Canada. Your parents may be asked to complete a medical before being granted an extension if they don’t have a valid one. If your parents leave Canada during the extension processing period they need to contact IRCC and withdraw the extension application. They no longer qualify for the extension if they leave the country and may save some money by getting a refund and avoiding having to do a medical (if they were going to be asked to do one).

Andyg

Aug 29, 2020
You essentially wait to get processed and visit like you have been in Canada. Your parents may be asked to complete a medical before being granted an extension if they don’t have a valid one. If your parents leave Canada during the extension processing period they need to contact IRCC and withdraw the extension application. They no longer qualify for the extension if they leave the country and may save some money by getting a refund and avoiding having to do a medical (if they were going to be asked to do one).
Thank you for your reply.
For a tourist visa they were never asked to go for a medical test.

Jugalkothari

Jan 22, 2018
How do you apply for an extension of TRV? When I log in to the GCKey I do not see an option to select the extension option. Can you guide?

bk2018

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Hi All,

Can someone guide on the condition for visitor record? I have 2 queries for my husband and child while we are awaiting their PR through spousal and dependent child sponsorship.

1. My husband's passport is stamped to leave Canada by December 2022 but in the meantime he got open work permit which is valid for 2 years. Does he still need to apply for a visitor record or having a work permit simply implies he can stay longer irrespective of the stamp on passport to leave by December. His visitor visa is valid until Feb 2023 and work permit until July 2024.

2. My child's passport is similarly stamped to leave by Dec 2022 and dependent child sponsorship for PR is under process. The visa is valid until Feb 2023. Will applying for a visitor record be sufficient?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi All,

Can someone guide on the condition for visitor record? I have 2 queries for my husband and child while we are awaiting their PR through spousal and dependent child sponsorship.

1. My husband's passport is stamped to leave Canada by December 2022 but in the meantime he got open work permit which is valid for 2 years. Does he still need to apply for a visitor record or having a work permit simply implies he can stay longer irrespective of the stamp on passport to leave by December. His visitor visa is valid until Feb 2023 and work permit until July 2024.

2. My child's passport is similarly stamped to leave by Dec 2022 and dependent child sponsorship for PR is under process. The visa is valid until Feb 2023. Will applying for a visitor record be sufficient?
1. Your husband Work Permit will supersede limit on visitor's record, no need to leave by December.
2. You can wait until December and apply to extend your child visitors record if decision has not been made yet about child pr sponsorship application