+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship while not working

samar077

May 23, 2023
Hi,
IAM single mother living in Canada,I want to sponsor my husband to come Canada, but IAM not working now,I hear that I can just show ircc that I have enough money to support my husband when he come to Canada ,is that true!
Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
IAM single mother living in Canada,I want to sponsor my husband to come Canada, but IAM not working now,I hear that I can just show ircc that I have enough money to support my husband when he come to Canada ,is that true!
Thanks
Technically, that is true.

While there is no income requirement to sponsor your husband, you DO have to show how you will support him without the need for Social Assistance. Keep in mind that you will be financially responsible for him for 3 years if he becomes a PR.

Good luck!

Reactions: samar077

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Technically yes. My husband was unemployed (a graduate student) when we applied, but he was applying for jobs and showed proof of his job searches, that he was in school, and our savings. You will likely need to show something similar - i.e. that you can support your husband for 3 years, even if he doesn't get a job in Canada.

Reactions: samar077 and YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I hear that I can just show ircc that I have enough money to support my husband when he come to Canada ,is that true!
Thanks
I'd just add to what others have said: for spousal apps, it is routine to show that the spouse coming to Canada will work and has work experience, etc. Obviously this is easier when/if the spouse has work experience and education, etc. but given the current market, any work ability/willingness will likely get some credit. If spouse also has savings and is independent, really won't be an issue in most cases.

Could be an issue for those whose spouses cannot work for whatever reason, mind.

Deividas

Star Member
Apr 3, 2023
Im in a similar situation where Sponsor is unemployed. We showed our savings account, so hopefully that will be enough.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Thanks
How much money do you have in savings approximately? Are you on maternity leave with a scheduled date to return back to work. If so, proof that you will be returning back to work should be enough proof.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Im in a similar situation where Sponsor is unemployed. We showed our savings account, so hopefully that will be enough.
Have you recently returned to Canada? If you are currently looking for emplomynent you
can update your file once you have found employment in Canada.

Deividas

Star Member
Apr 3, 2023
Have you recently returned to Canada? If you are currently looking for emplomynent you
can update your file once you have found employment in Canada.
Yes we (sponsor and Principal) recently moved back to Canada and thus the sponsor is unemployed. Myself(principal) i am employed remotely.

This is where i am a bit lost. As long i am aware i am not affecting Canadian labour market (company Is only in Europe and salary in euros and i am employed and pay taxes in europe). So i don’t need a work permit, but not 100 % sure on this as my status is visitor.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes we (sponsor and Principal) recently moved back to Canada and thus the sponsor is unemployed. Myself(principal) i am employed remotely. This is where i am a bit lost. As long i am aware i am not affecting Canadian labour market (company Is only in Europe and salary in euros and i am employed and pay taxes in europe) So i don’t need a work permit, but not 100 % as i am a visitor In canada.
As long as they have no Canadian customers / clients and do no business in Canada, you are good to work remotely without a work permit.

samar077

May 23, 2023
How much money do you have in savings approximately? Are you on maternity leave with a scheduled date to return back to work. If so, proof that you will be returning back to work should be enough proof.
Thanks for reply,my husband have 12.000$ savings, and he is young and working,I guess I will show them proof that IAM looking for job in Canada, actually IAM not working but iam looking for remote work because it's More convenient.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for reply,my husband have 12.000$ savings, and he is young and working,I guess I will show them proof that IAM looking for job in Canada, actually IAM not working but iam looking for remote work because it's More convenient.
Update your file once you start working in Canada.

samar077

May 23, 2023
I have another concern about being accepted as sponsor,so I have ongoing case with criminal court because I was assaulted by my ex boyfriend,so IAM a victim of assault, will that affect me with ircc !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have another concern about being accepted as sponsor,so I have ongoing case with criminal court because I was assaulted by my ex boyfriend,so IAM a victim of assault, will that affect me with ircc !
This won't impact sponsorship as long as there are no charges against you.