+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP for sponsored parents

supreme

Star Member
Apr 15, 2011
When do the parents get their OHIP after arrival? I read that you have to sponsor them for 20 years. Does this mean I have to buy private health insurance for 20 years?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
supreme said:
When do the parents get their OHIP after arrival? I read that you have to sponsor them for 20 years. Does this mean I have to buy private health insurance for 20 years?
Parents get OHIP at the same time as anyone else.

The 20 years refers to financial assistance. If you sponsor your parents and they go on welfare / social assistance within 20 years of landing, you will be responsible for paying this money back to the government.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
supreme said:
As the other poster said, the 20 years is you financial liability as the sponsor, nothing to do with health insurance.

As you have said OHIP - I assume they will live in Ontario (as in Ontario Health Insurance Plan) - i.e. you are not mistakenly using the acronym to refer to Canadian medical insurance in general - as it is different province by province (I don't mean to appear to be patronising, just want to answer the question :D)

Under OHIP, they should 'register' as soon as possible at any Services Ontario office soon after landing for residence in order to 'start the clock' on the three month waiting period. So they would be covered after three months. They must register. Other provinces have no such waiting period (e.g. NOva Scotia). So yes, they would need private health insurance to cover them for the three month gap.

Hope this helps!

mozzle

Mar 26, 2019
As the other poster said, the 20 years is you financial liability as the sponsor, nothing to do with health insurance.

As you have said OHIP - I assume they will live in Ontario (as in Ontario Health Insurance Plan) - i.e. you are not mistakenly using the acronym to refer to Canadian medical insurance in general - as it is different province by province (I don't mean to appear to be patronising, just want to answer the question :D)

Under OHIP, they should 'register' as soon as possible at any Services Ontario office soon after landing for residence in order to 'start the clock' on the three month waiting period. So they would be covered after three months. They must register. Other provinces have no such waiting period (e.g. NOva Scotia). So yes, they would need private health insurance to cover them for the three month gap.

Hope this helps!

Apologies for necroing this thread @Hurlabrick.

My son is waiting for sponsorship applications to open so he can apply to sponsor me as PR in Toronto. I'm 72, healthy, work full time, and I have medical insurance in South Africa.

Will I qualify for OHIP if I get PR? Just checking because this thread is 2 years old.

Thank you :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

My son is waiting for sponsorship applications to open so he can apply to sponsor me as PR in Toronto. I'm 72, healthy, work full time, and I have medical insurance in South Africa.

Will I qualify for OHIP if I get PR? Just checking because this thread is 2 years old.

Yes - you will.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Yes if you are moving to Ontario you will qualify for OHIP after 3 months after you receive your PR and settle in Ontario. There are residency requirements to maintain coverage so I would read the website carefully. Many things are not covered by OHIP so you or your family will have to pay for things like dental care, glasses, there isa small deductible for Rx drugs, there is a monthly cost of around $1200+ for public nursing homes, etc.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
“The OSHPTG is available to Ontario senior homeowners who pay property taxes and who have low or moderate incomes. It is an annual payment that seniors must apply for each year when they file their income tax and benefit return.”

My parents are now permanent residents via my sponsorship. Is applying for this grant considered government assistance, since there is criteria re: low income?
Duplicate. Nothing to do with OHIP. Post is from 2017.