+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Insurance is finishing so will the hospital kick the patient out?

Anonn

Feb 16, 2024
Hello, my daughter is an international student in ontario and 3 months ago in nov she started having seizures and then she got admitted to toronto western hospital since then she is on sedation till today ( feb) and her per day ICU cost is 6700$ and insurance company says that her insurance is getting finished so you have to move her to india as we will not pay to the hospital, so my concern is if the insurance will be finished will the hospital still treat the patient ?as we are not this much financially stable that we can pay the bill, then what will be the consequences?

Insurance company is saying they are not covering air ambulance so can anyone give me an idea how much will it cost

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, my daughter is an international student in ontario and 3 months ago in nov she started having seizures and then she got admitted to toronto western hospital since then she is on sedation till today ( feb) and her per day ICU cost is 6700$ and insurance company says that her insurance is getting finished so you have to move her to india as we will not pay to the hospital, so my concern is if the insurance will be finished will the hospital still treat the patient as we are not this much financially stable that we can pay the bill, then what will be the consequences. Insurance company is saying they are not covering air ambulance so can anyone give me an idea how much will it cost
I'm very sorry for your daughter's situation. The costs of the air ambulance will depend on her condition and the level of care she needs. Unfortunately it's really impossible for any of us to say. You will need to contact a company offering this service.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, my daughter is an international student in ontario and 3 months ago in nov she started having seizures and then she got admitted to toronto western hospital since then she is on sedation till today ( feb) and her per day ICU cost is 6700$ and insurance company says that her insurance is getting finished so you have to move her to india as we will not pay to the hospital, so my concern is if the insurance will be finished will the hospital still treat the patient ?as we are not this much financially stable that we can pay the bill, then what will be the consequences?

Insurance company is saying they are not covering air ambulance so can anyone give me an idea how much will it cost
Would suggest looking into transferring before insurance runs out. Realistically you will be asked to pay for care when insurance runs out and you will start feeling the pressure from the hospital to move your daughter back to India because ICU beds are very limited and costly to run so if hospitals are not being reimbursed right away or ever they have to cover the costs by cutting back somewhere else. Have you read your daughter’s insurance policy in detail to see what is covered in terms of relocation? Insurance companies typically try to avoid paying for anything so would always look at the policy yourself versus trusting them about what arrangements may be covered. You may also want to negotiate with the insurance company since flying her to India may save them money in the end if done relatively soon. Have you met with the social worker at the hospital who will hopefully be able to help coordinate with the next step? In general returning to India will be best and less expensive for your family. I assume most of her family is still in India so she will not have the same level of family support in Canada and it is expensive to stay in Canada as a family member of a patient receiving care even for a Canadian having to travel to another city. How long she has been in the ICU and the level of care she needs to return home will impact how difficult it may be to get back to India. Have you discussed with the doctors whether she is safe to travel and what kind of care would be needed for her to travel home? If insurance won’t cover an air ambulance (if that is needed) I would suggest going to the media (Canadian and Indian) and setting up a go fund me to hopefully cover the cost of return home. I’m sorry this is happening to you and I hope your daughter gets the care she needs.