+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Work Permit while Visiting Canada with TRV (Visitor Visa)

saif.netizen

Oct 14, 2023
Hi,

I got the visitor visa of Canada, and want to go to Canada. Now I would like to know that, is it possible for me to get a work permit in Canada? If possible, then how?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I got the visitor visa of Canada, and want to go to Canada. Now I would like to know that, is it possible for me to get a work permit in Canada? If possible, then how?
In the large majority of cases you will need to find an employer willing to go through the process (time and expense) of getting an LMIA and then you will need to apply for a WP and see if it is approved. The whole process can easily take 6+ months with no guarantee of success? What is your work and education background? The economy is definitely facing challenges so many employers are no longer hiring. Would add that even with a TRV you aren’t guaranteed entry into Canada or could be limited interns of how long you can visit Canada. It is very expensive to visit Canada for months without the ability to work and without any guarantees that you will get a job. Employers have to show that they can’t find anyone to hire who is already able to work in Canada in order to secure an LMIA. Most employers are not willing to go through the time and expense of applying for an LMIA. There have been hundreds of international students living up to apply for service jobs so there isn’t a huge need for labour only in certain types of jobs for example in healthcare.

saif.netizen

Oct 14, 2023
In the large majority of cases you will need to find an employer willing to go through the process (time and expense) of getting an LMIA and then you will need to apply for a WP and see if it is approved. The whole process can easily take 6+ months with no guarantee of success? What is your work and education background? The economy is definitely facing challenges so many employers are no longer hiring. Would add that even with a TRV you aren’t guaranteed entry into Canada or could be limited interns of how long you can visit Canada. It is very expensive to visit Canada for months without the ability to work and without any guarantees that you will get a job. Employers have to show that they can’t find anyone to hire who is already able to work in Canada in order to secure an LMIA. Most employers are not willing to go through the time and expense of applying for an LMIA. There have been hundreds of international students living up to apply for service jobs so there isn’t a huge need for labour only in certain types of jobs for example in healthcare.
Thank you very much for your reply!

If I apply for an Open Work Permit through the following link.....
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/apply.html
  1. How likely I could get it?
  2. If the answer is yes, then how long it will take?
  3. If I would get the Open Work Permit how likely could I get the job?

For your information,
  • I am a Post Graduate from a public university of my country.
  • I have good communication skill in English, I am planning to to take the IELTS exam soon, I have confident that I can score 6.5 to 7.0.
  • I work on Web Development, Data Analytics, Project Management for at least five years in my country.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/apply.html

For your information,
  • I have good communication skill in English, I am planning to to take the IELTS exam soon, I have confident that I can score 6.5 to 7.0.
  • I work on Web Development, Data Analytics, Project Management for at least five years in my country.
1. Will not get it if not eligible. How are you eligible for an open work permit? Is your spouse working or studying in Canada? Click on the link and select Inside Canada and see if you are eligible.
2. If not eligible, then never.
3. Job in what area? Low skilled/paying job in retail/restaurant - probably. You have no Canadian experience and 6.5/7 IELTS score is okay. So expect not to get a job in your field right away or at all.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

For your information,
As said above, you are not eligible for an open work permit. So this is not an option.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

For your information,
As already stated you don’t qualify for an open work permit so you’ll need to qualify for a closed work permit which is tied to an employer. You’ll need to apply online when you have a job offer. Trying to find an employer willing to go through the time and expense of applying for an LMIA and then waiting to see if you end up qualifying for a WP. This could take around 5-6 months and most employers aren’t interested in waiting around if they need an employee right away. The one exception is for jobs in certain industries where there is a shortage of Canadian workers or certain high skill jobs. Approval of a WP is partially based on your previous work and education history. It would not make sense to approve you as a construction labourer for example based on your own history. Do you have the funds to wait around for many months trying to find an employer willing to hire someone who can’t work in Canada at the moment and will need to apply for an LMIA then wait to try and secure a WP? Do you have a place to stay? Finding reasonable priced housing is verydifficult in Canada at the moment. As a visitor without a WP or job it will be even more difficult unless you have significant savings so landlords aren’t worried you won’t stop paying rent. Have you looked into economic immigration and then you could work towards qualifying for PR in your home country like increasing your IELTS score? Do you work for a multinational employer and could they transfer you to Canada?

saif.netizen

Oct 14, 2023
Thank you all for your assistance and sorry for late reply.

The bottom line of this discussion I found that, getting a job while visiting Canada is nearly impossible.
But

1. Is it possible to get admitted to any college to achieve a Post Graduate Diploma as a visitor?
2. If possible then, are there any extra advantage applying from Canada over applying from my country?
3. If I apply from my country, would the Visa Counterfoil in my Passport make an impact (Positive of Negative) ?
4. Could I start processing any Immigration Program like Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) or Atlantic Immigration Program? and again, would the Visa Counterfoil in my Passport make an impact (Positive of Negative) ?

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you all for your assistance and sorry for late reply.

The bottom line of this discussion I found that, getting a job while visiting Canada is nearly impossible.
But

1. Is it possible to get admitted to any college to achieve a Post Graduate Diploma as a visitor?
2. If possible then, are there any extra advantage applying from Canada over applying from my country?
3. If I apply from my country, would the Visa Counterfoil in my Passport make an impact (Positive of Negative) ?
4. Could I start processing any Immigration Program like Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) or Atlantic Immigration Program? and again, would the Visa Counterfoil in my Passport make an impact (Positive of Negative) ?

Thanks in advance.
1. Yes, you can apply for admission. However you cannot start your studies until you obtain a study permit.
2. There is a lower chance the study permit will be approved if you are in Canada when you apply since it's more difficult to show convincing ties to your home country. You will have a higher chance of approval if you apply from your home country for the study permit.
3. I don't understand this question.
4. I don't understand this question.