+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Counterfoil Document Invalid status

Arjun.Nandakumar

Apr 13, 2019
Hey,

I had done my medical last year. However, since I had not gotten my visa on time, I had to defer the intake to this year's September.

My medical is about to expire on June 21st, as it is valid only for 1 year.

I've received three reminders from the IRCC requesting me to renew my medical as I would need it before I travel. Even the International Center of my University said the same.

However Canadian Physician Panels at my city & country (Bangalore, India) require an IME number and a specific IMM form.
I have tried to obtain it from the embassy but it is not operational.
I have raised multiple webforms to the IRCC but they keep sending me a reply stating that my application is normal at the moment, and they are not requesting any documents.

I just wanted to know where I could get the forms from? And would my visa status be affected if my medical becomes expired?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hey,

I had done my medical last year. However, since I had not gotten my visa on time, I had to defer the intake to this year's September.

My medical is about to expire on June 21st, as it is valid only for 1 year.

I've received three reminders from the IRCC requesting me to renew my medical as I would need it before I travel. Even the International Center of my University said the same.

However Canadian Physician Panels at my city & country (Bangalore, India) require an IME number and a specific IMM form.
I have tried to obtain it from the embassy but it is not operational.
I have raised multiple webforms to the IRCC but they keep sending me a reply stating that my application is normal at the moment, and they are not requesting any documents.

I just wanted to know where I could get the forms from? And would my visa status be affected if my medical becomes expired?
You can't download the forms from anywhere, only IRCC can send it to you. For your case, you need an upfront medical. You will need to wait till upfront medicals are opened again in your country.

Arjun.Nandakumar

Apr 13, 2019
You can't download the forms from anywhere, only IRCC can send it to you. For your case, you need an upfront medical. You will need to wait till upfront medicals are opened again in your country.
Ok Thanks a lot.
So my visa status will not get revoked if my medical expires right?
Would it be required to be approved by the IRCC or is mere renewal sufficient to show at the border in Canada?
And approximately what is the processing time from the time my medical gets renewed for it to be approved my IRCC?

Thanks a lot for your help.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Ok Thanks a lot.
Would it be required to be approved by the IRCC or is mere renewal sufficient to show at the border in Canada?
And approximately what is the processing time from the time my medical gets renewed for it to be approved my IRCC?

So my visa status will not get revoked if my medical expires right? Your counterfoil will become invalid a little while after the expiry. When exactly this will happen, no one can tell, but it will.
Would it be required to be approved by the IRCC or is mere renewal sufficient to show at the border in Canada? Yes, IRCC would send you a message to confirm that your new medicals are passed. Don't attempt to travel before you get this update.
And approximately what is the processing time from the time my medical gets renewed for it to be approved my IRCC? Not sure. From what I see on here it takes between 4 - 6 weeks. May be more.

Arjun.Nandakumar

Apr 13, 2019
So my visa status will not get revoked if my medical expires right? Your counterfoil will become invalid a little while after the expiry. When exactly this will happen, no one can tell, but it will.
Would it be required to be approved by the IRCC or is mere renewal sufficient to show at the border in Canada? Yes, IRCC would send you a message to confirm that your new medicals are passed. Don't attempt to travel before you get this update.
And approximately what is the processing time from the time my medical gets renewed for it to be approved my IRCC? Not sure. From what I see on here it takes between 4 - 6 weeks. May be more.
Ok thanks. That's super clear.

singlarun

Jan 22, 2018
My medical will expire on June 16, 2021, according to an email from IRCC, however my counterfoil is still valid, despite the fact that I haven't renewed my medical due to the closing of medicals in India.
Anyone else had a similar experience?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
My medical will expire on June 16, 2021, according to an email from IRCC, however my counterfoil is still valid, despite the fact that I haven't renewed my medical due to the closing of medicals in India.
It will likely change to invalid soon. It's best to redo it because the CBSA officers can see the validity of your medicals and will refuse you entry if expired, regardless of whether your counterfoil shows valid or not.

Arjun.Nandakumar

Apr 13, 2019
It will likely change to invalid soon. It's best to redo it because the CBSA officers can see the validity of your medicals and will refuse you entry if expired, regardless of whether your counterfoil shows valid or not.
Oh Ok thanks a lot.
Medical Services are not operating now in my country, so fingers crossed - hope it opens quickly, as my studies are starting in September.

rogerdude1

Apr 24, 2021
You won't be denied entry due to medicals having expired because of these things:

- preliminary immigration examination at your country of departure will show counterfoil as valid and you'll fly (they don't check medical results at your country of departure airport, just the counterfoil)
- you land at PoE where BSO (Border Security Officer) finds out you have an expired exam because they are mandated to check it (The examining BSO should: confirm that the applicant has passed the required medical examination(s) and that their validity has not expired; - Source - ENF 4 Port of Entry Examinations)
- if you are a non-EDE client (non-Excessive Demand Exempt client, check it on your previous eUMI sheet) then it means "Excessive demand exempt refers to specified groups of IRCC clients who are not denied entry or permission to stay in Canada because their medical condition may create an excessive demand. " (source - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/panel-members-guide.html#sec1.5.8.2 ), then you will get entry

BUT

Since a valid medical exam is required
for a study permit of more than 6 months to be issued (take for e.g., you are doing Masters from India and only 4 months of study left, then SP will have to be issued for 4 + 3 months = 7 months, IRCC always adds 90 days from the end date of your course/program), but now due to the expired medicals, the BSO cannot issue you a study permit of more than 6 months and as he can't deny you entry either (refer to non-EDE above), the BSO will simply issue you a SP for a maximum duration of 6 months if you manage to fly before counterfoil turns invalid and you will have to go through the hassle of re-medical in Canada and then apply for extension of the SP should you need it. The BSO at the PoE can put any condition of your SP as he thinks fit.

There have been multiple youtube videos where people have claimed that they have traveled with expired medicals and were issued a SP for only 6 months where as their course was longer than that. You can also verify that.

aaronc30

Star Member
Aug 7, 2020
Posting this if it helps anyone else:

My medical expired on 30may, on 6 June my counterfoil status changed to invalid & i received a letter from ircc to do another medical. There was No IME number in the letter, so I did an upfront medical & sent my upfront medical sheet to ircc visa webform .... Now just waiting for them to change the counterfoil status to vaild again! Hopefully, very soon my visa status will be changed back to vaild!

TIP: if your medical are about to expire, go for an upfront medical ASAP!

Reactions: wonderbly

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Posting this if it helps anyone else:

My medical expired on 30may, on 6 June my counterfoil status changed to invalid & i received a letter from ircc to do another medical. There was No IME number in the letter, so I did an upfront medical & sent my upfront medical sheet to ircc visa webform .... Now just waiting for them to change the counterfoil status to vaild again! Hopefully, very soon my visa status will be changed back to vaild!

TIP: if your medical are about to expire, go for an upfront medical ASAP!
Thank you for posting this. As I mentioned to the previous poster, their counterfoil, though valid now, will likely change to invalid before they fly and they would not be allowed entry. IRCC is very firm on this. There are posts on this forum and on the Foreign Worker forum about people being turned back at the entry due to expired medicals. If anyone wants to take the risk, that's up to them.

I hope your new medicals are processed soon!

Reactions: rogerdude1

jagjeet@eprs

Apr 18, 2021
Hi All,

I had my study visa approved in March 2021 and got passport stamped with counterfoil document number.
I have booked a flight for next week on 25th April but I checked in my gcckey site that the counterfoil document status is updated as "Your document is invalid".
What should I do now? I have sent webform. Does anyone know how long it would take, will I have to submit my passport again for stamping.
Please help , urgent issue.
No need to submit passport again and it will take two months to get updated

jagjeet@eprs

Apr 18, 2021
Hi guys,
I am in the same boat. Received status for document invalid on 16th April 2021. Visa(TRV) approved in December 2020. My medical got expired last month. Please let me know what you guys did as my intake is going to start from Sep 2021. Do I need to submit new medical via webform or do I need to apply for student visa again?
Yes you have to and they update status in two months

jagjeet@eprs

Apr 18, 2021
Ok Thanks a lot.

It will not be revoked rather they will invalid your counterfoil and once you submit the medical through webform they will validate it. And tvalidation takes two months. And you must email to high commission gor sending you ime number.. in case tbey are sending mails then chey thoroughly it must be mentioned somewhere in email