+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen: wife and dependant children applied for pr last month can they get ohip? Children have been adopted by myself in brazil

Aug 10, 2021
Hi,

Im trying to understand the rules. We applied for pr inland spousal with dependants
in early april. Still waiting on acknowledgement of application and sponsor evalution. Am i able to get ohip coverage for my wife and two dependent children 17 and 20. Really just for my wife and 17 year old as my oldest is on a student visa and has coverage through the uni. The 17 year old is on a visitor record. And my wife is there as a tourist? If im not able to get them covered by ohip now will i be able to at any point before final decision is made on pr? Thanks so much for any insight.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Im trying to understand the rules. We applied for pr inland spousal with dependants
in early april. Still waiting on acknowledgement of application and sponsor evalution. Am i able to get ohip coverage for my wife and two dependent children 17 and 20. Really just for my wife and 17 year old as my oldest is on a student visa and has coverage through the uni. The 17 year old is on a visitor record. And my wife is there as a tourist? If im not able to get them covered by ohip now will i be able to at any point before final decision is made on pr? Thanks so much for any insight.
Very new rule means dependents will qualify after eligibility has passed. This may not be possible for your daughter if only recently adopted until adoption has been vetted by IRCC. Is the biological father deceased? Assume 20 yr old is an international student.

Aug 10, 2021
Hi, The adoption was about 4 years ago, but it is an adoption that does not remove the biological father, instead it adds me as a third parent. His father is very much alive and a little present in his life. It is legal in brazil and IRCC accepted it for a visitor record extension but I don't know if that means anything. Yes the 20 year old is an international student. The youngest has gotten into universities here too. On his visitor record it is written that he is allowed to stude (and maybe work i forget if that is there or not. When you say after eligibility has passsed what do you mean exactly, after i have been shown eligible to sponsor them? Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, The adoption was about 4 years ago, but it is an adoption that does not remove the biological father, instead it adds me as a third parent. His father is very much alive and a little present in his life. It is legal in brazil and IRCC accepted it for a visitor record extension but I don't know if that means anything. Yes the 20 year old is an international student. The youngest has gotten into universities here too. On his visitor record it is written that he is allowed to stude (and maybe work i forget if that is there or not. When you say after eligibility has passsed what do you mean exactly, after i have been shown eligible to sponsor them? Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.
This adoption will likely not be recognized by Canada if the biological father is alive and still has parental rights. They will be considered stepchildren. I would consult an immigration lawyer but would personally not attempt to consider them as adopted in Canada or process any paperwork as adopted. If you do want to indicate that you adopted the children in Brazil I would be very clear the children have a biological father that still has parental rights. They will have to list their biological father in any of their immigration documentation which I assume they did for study permits and TRVs. Without a study permit the child can not attend college or university or work. If the youngest wants to attend uni or college next fall they either need PR of a study permit and attend as an international student.

http://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

Reactions: YVR123

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
Very new rule means dependents will qualify after eligibility has passed. This may not be possible for your daughter if only recently adopted until adoption has been vetted by IRCC. Is the biological father deceased? Assume 20 yr old is an international student.
Hello

My daughter is landing in June 2024 on a visitor visa with her mother. Myself and my wife (mother of the kid) are already PR of Canada.

Can I apply for my daughter's OHIP as soon as she land ?

I will apply for her PR sponsorship as soon she lands.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello

My daughter is landing in June 2024 on a visitor visa with her mother. Myself and my wife (mother of the kid) are already PR of Canada.

Can I apply for my daughter's OHIP as soon as she land ?

I will apply for her PR sponsorship as soon she lands.
I don't believe arriving as a visitor will allow her to apply for OHIP. (she is not "landing as PR")
Check with others to see the requirement for PR applicants to see when will they accept OHIP.

It's better to get travel health insurance in case of emergency.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
I don't believe arriving as a visitor will allow her to apply for OHIP. (she is not "landing as PR")
Check with others to see the requirement for PR applicants to see when will they accept OHIP.

It's better to get travel health insurance in case of emergency.
There is mention on the OHIP website that says OHIP is available if we receive the eligibility letter from IRCC for the family sponsorship. Any idea what that means and how much time it takes to receive this letter

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There is mention on the OHIP website that says OHIP is available if we receive the eligibility letter from IRCC for the family sponsorship. Any idea what that means and how much time it takes to receive this letter
This is AIP and unfortunately only applies to inland spousal sponsorship. It is not possible to sponsor a child inland. All applications are classified as outland.

You can try applying once you have AOR which takes 2-3 months after the application is received. However best to assume your child will not have access to OHIP until PR is approved.

Reactions: YVR123

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
This is AIP and unfortunately only applies to inland spousal sponsorship. It is not possible to sponsor a child inland. All applications are classified as outland.

You can try applying once you have AOR which takes 2-3 months after the application is received. However best to assume your child will not have access to OHIP until PR is approved.
What do you mean by Inland?

I am planning to apply for her sponsorship when she has landed in Canada in June. Is that a problem ? Also if the PR is not approved within the TRV period, can I apply for visitor record extension mentioning that PR application is already in process

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

I am planning to apply for her sponsorship when she has landed in Canada in June. Is that a problem ? Also if the PR is not approved within the TRV period, can I apply for visitor record extension mentioning that PR application is already in process
For sponsoring a spouse, there are 2 routes, inland and outland. And there are slight difference in the process and in things that an inland applicants can qualify.
BUT for dependent, you can only sponsor in 1 route. And it's referred as outland although the applicant can be inside Canada to apply.
(some spouse apply for outland because they want to travel in and out of Canada or cannot live in the same city as the sponsor during the process)

Anyway, I think I made it more complicated. You can apply when she has arrived in Canada. If PR is not approved within 6 month of her arrival as a visitor, you can apply to extend her stay as visitor.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Inland is a within Canada application. This is only possible for spousal sponsorship.

You will technically be sponsoring your child outland. However you can do that while your child is in Canada. Many people do this.

Submitting the PR application will not give your child implied status. You must extend your child's stay in Canada (apply for a visitor record) to keep your child's status valid. Yes, you can mention that you have a PR application in process. The TRV period is not what is important. This is not the length of time your child is allowed into Canada. Visitors are generally allowed into Canada for six months. Once you are nearing the end of that six month period, you will need to apply to extend your child's status.