+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working with Expiring PGWP while applying INLAND

forever1524

Sep 3, 2015
Hello,

My PGWP expires next year and I want to apply INLAND.
Is it possible to continue working after the expiration of my PGWP. My OWP would come 4 months after the expiration of my PGWP.

Do I have implied status at this time?

Thanks

Omega12

Aug 22, 2016
As long as you apply before your current permit expires, you may continue working while following all the conditions specified under your current work permit.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Omega12 said:
As long as you apply before your current permit expires, you may continue working while following all the conditions specified under your current work permit.
1. No, when a PGWP expires, you can't continue to work, as it is can't be extended.

Omega12

Aug 22, 2016
PMM said:
Hi

1. No, when a PGWP expires, you can't continue to work, as it is can't be extended.
With all due respect, I don't think that is completely correct. Here are my reasons:

1. Every work permit application processed by CPC-V is, by virtue, an extension.
2. IRCC/CIC makes it abundantly clear that as long as the permit you are applying to CPC-V for matches the category as the permit you currently hold, you can continue to exploit the status and capacity rendered unto you by the expiring permit.

You can not extend a PGWP by itself but if you apply for an open work permit under the spousal sponsorship category, it is essentially an extension and affords you implied status whereby you can work until you get your "new" work permit.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Omega12 said:
With all due respect, I don't think that is completely correct. Here are my reasons:

1. Every work permit application processed by CPC-V is, by virtue, an extension.
2. IRCC/CIC makes it abundantly clear that as long as the permit you are applying to CPC-V for matches the category as the permit you currently hold, you can continue to exploit the status and capacity rendered unto you by the expiring permit.

You can not extend a PGWP by itself but if you apply for an open work permit under the spousal sponsorship category, it is essentially an extension and affords you implied status whereby you can work until you get your "new" work permit.
With all due respect, you are wrong about this issue.

The OP will be eligible for the Pilot Program OWP if the OWP is submitted with the Inland application. Once it arrives, s/he can resume working.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
I think Ponga might be right here. But if the OP applies for the inland OWP given enough lead time (4 mos) for it to arrive, they might be able to continue working.

Omega12

Aug 22, 2016
Ponga said:
With all due respect, you are wrong about this issue.

The OP will be eligible for the Pilot Program OWP if the OWP is submitted with the Inland application. Once it arrives, s/he can resume working.
I always meant to imply that as long as the OP makes a VALID application (which includes applying for both inland sponsorship and the OWP, correctly and with legal status), the OP has implied status and is eligible to work.

Please indicate what part of this do you find erroneous.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Omega12 said:
I always meant to imply that as long as the OP makes a VALID application (which includes applying for both inland sponsorship and the OWP, correctly and with legal status), the OP has implied status and is eligible to work.

Please indicate what part of this do you find erroneous.
The part where you say that a person with a PGWP can continue to work after it expires, even if s/he has submitted an OWP with an Inland application. That's the part that's not correct.

This is a very slippery slope and if you search this forum, you will find several threads and posts about this very issue. The FC OWP is NOT in any way, shape or form and extension of a PGWP!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
A PGWP is not extendable. This whole topic has been argued about many times on here but that is the basic point.

If a PGWP holder applies for the inland OWP, they will have Implied Status as a visitor, meaning that they can remain in Canada but cannot work. Once the OWP is granted, they can resume working.