Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
Just a quick question, I recently applied under the CEC system in June/July of this year under NOC B. Due to recent changes they're no longer accepting my NOC code (1311), which is fine as they can change the system and I expect all applications prior to the change will be unaffected.

However, if something goes wrong with my application (it happens often under CEC apparently) I could apply under Common Law with my gf (lived together for 3 years, dated 4 years). My biggest concern being working, we obviously need enough for bills and living. I currently have a Bridging Open Work Permit from my CEC application.

If we submitted a Common Law with request for OWP, would I be able to keep working under implied status? or does that mean I have to quit my job and wait for the OWP application to process?

Obviously I'm just thinking ahead, I'd rather my CEC application goes through without a hitch.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
To clarify regarding Implied Status, submission of only an inland PR app does not confer any status on an applicant. It is the OWP app submitted along with the PR app that gives Implied Status.

From IP 6 - Processing Temporary Resident Extensions

Inland applications for permanent residence
In situations where an applicant who has visitor status submits an application for permanent residence to Vegreville and at the same time submits an application for a work permit (pursuant to R207(b)), the visitor may be considered to have requested an extension of their TR status (in accordance with R183(5)). They are considered to have implied status as a visitor, until a decision is made on their WP application. When no application for a work or study permit is received with the application for permanent residence, the applicant is obliged to apply to extend their visitor status.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dilligent said:
Oh right so I have to wait until stage one is over then apply for a work permit full stop? Don't submit one now or should I? so when stage one is done I will receive the work permit if I apply now or wait for stage one to be over first?

Also what do you mean open to uk citizens? If I live in Canada surely I would have to wait until I am eligible to apply for a work permit. Thanks
Being married to a Canadian and having an inland PR app submitted doesn't give you any status or allow you to stay in Canada. If your current status expires before you become a PR (guessing you are on 6 months visitor status, so it will expire), you will be illegal in Canada.

I recommend that you send in an OWP app now. This will allow you to stay in Canada legally after your current status expires and you will be allowed to work after stage 1 approval.

This is the app http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp. Make sure to include a letter explaining that you have already submitted an inland PR app and include all the details. Across the top of the application, write something like "OWP with inland PR app".

By "open to UK citizens", the other poster was referring to programs such as the IEC http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
canuck_in_uk said:
To clarify regarding Implied Status, submission of only an inland PR app does not confer any status on an applicant. It is the OWP app submitted along with the PR app that gives Implied Status.
Thanks for the link. That was what i thought, but wasn't sure where the CIC rule was written.

So basically the only situation in which an inland applicant wouldn't submit an OWP app with the PR app, is in the case screech mentioned where a student is studying here under a study permit long-term, so does not want to replace that permit with an OWP.

I recommend that you send in an OWP app now. This will allow you to stay in Canada legally after your current status expires and you will be allowed to work after stage 1 approval.
Not to mention that if you submit the OWP app with PR application, they will process it as part of stage 1, so it will be ready at stage 1 approval. If you wait until stage 1 approval and only then send the OWP app, they will need to process it separately and there could be a delay of a month or 2 you would need to wait to get OWP.

I would check if there is any issue sending the OWP app AFTER one has already sent in the inland app. Can they match the 2 up very easily? I'm not sure, so would check with people in the inland thread.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Dilligent said:
Also what do you mean open to uk citizens? If I live in Canada surely I would have to wait until I am eligible to apply for a work permit. Thanks
There are certain open work permits available to UK citizens, such as working holiday, IEC, etc (i'm not sure the specific names). These programs though are limited in when you're allowed to apply and quantity of permits given, and only available to certain age groups I think.

You could also find an employer willing to go through the LMO process to hire you under a closed work permit.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Rob_TO said:
Thanks for the link. That was what i thought, but wasn't sure where the CIC rule was written.

I would check if there is any issue sending the OWP app AFTER one has already sent in the inland app. Can they match the 2 up very easily? I'm not sure, so would check with people in the inland thread.
You're welcome.

I know there are a few others on the forum show have sent the OWP apps after the PR apps. CIC should be able to match it up, provided the OP includes a letter explaining the situation.

DeeSS

May 11, 2015
Hello, I hope somebody can help me. I am in Canada with Protected person status. But until I get my PR which is in process, I have to renew my Work Permit. And there is a big delay in that with Immigration, so now I'am waiting for work permit and I can't work. Then I sow about this pilot program for spouses waiting for permanent residency, and since I am in a similar situation my question is this pilot program applied for persons with my status. If there is any immigration lawyer who knows more about this topic, please share your input. Thanks

jmomcc

Star Member
May 29, 2014
Hnhkrk said:
If you work without a permit and you get caught, your application is going to be thrown in the trash and your will be kicked out of Canada. So, unless you're past stage 1 in the application and able to apply for an open work permit, you shouldn't work.
How would this apply to working online? I freelance write a little online currently, and thought to continue in Canada whilst possibly waiting out the last few months. Is that illegal?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
DeeSS said:
Hello, I hope somebody can help me. I am in Canada with Protected person status. But until I get my PR which is in process, I have to renew my Work Permit. And there is a big delay in that with Immigration, so now I'am waiting for work permit and I can't work. Then I sow about this pilot program for spouses waiting for permanent residency, and since I am in a similar situation my question is this pilot program applied for persons with my status. If there is any immigration lawyer who knows more about this topic, please share your input. Thanks
Hi

Are you currently being sponsored inland for PR by your Canadian citizen/PR spouse?

YoungKim

Star Member
Apr 16, 2015
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/07/2015
AOR Received.
07/13/2015
Med's Request
09/17/2015
Med's Done....
10/01/2015
Passport Req..
02/12/2016
LANDED..........
02/22/2016
Hi my name is Young Kim
I have been selected as a Quebec skilled worker with my file number and everything this March.
Currently I am working for an American company, and during the afternoon, I would like to
take some French classes as I have to live in a small french-speaking town here in Quebec.

I understand that I can take French (Francisation) offered by municipal government, So for this
I know that I am entitled to this, but I was also kind of hopping to take regular classes with
local students here ?

My worry here is that I have heard and seen somewhere that I am not able to study in regular
settings with other students as the Quebec government's intention with this immigration program
is to put more workers in their labor pool.

canadavisa2116

Jul 6, 2015
Hello Sir,

My fiance is here in canada on student permit.
She will be applying her 1 year OWP next month. We are planning to get married this December.

Would it make sense if
I sponsor her PR in Jan 2016? Or should i get marriage certificate next month for her PR application ?
Should I apply as Inland or Outland? I don't want her to be restricted that she cannot leave country, neither would want her to leave country if file has not processed till her OWP expires.

Please suggest whats the best approach in my case.
Is it recommended to hire lawyer?

Thanks in advance!