+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Holiday Visa while applying for common-law sponsorship/ open work permit

jon_dza

Apr 29, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

I am just starting to get my application together to apply for Permanent Resident status and I just had a couple questions.

1. My Canadian common-law partner is sponsoring me and we are applying inland. I have been in Canada since September 2010 on a working holiday visa. I currently have about 4 1/2 months left on my WHV and will be sending in my application this week. I will also be applying for the Open Working Visa at the same time with a request for it to be issued once I have been "approved in principle."

I have read on the CIC site about "applied status" that if you have a work permit and have applied for an extension you can continue working under "applied status" until you get a response.

My question is whether that works for the WHV. Can I continue to work legally after my visa expires and I am waiting to be approved in principle. I will be at the same job as the company I am working for will gladly keep me.

Also my SIN number expires at the same time as my visa so how does it work to get that extended?

Thanks a lot for your help.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jon_dza said:
Hi Everyone,

I am just starting to get my application together to apply for Permanent Resident status and I just had a couple questions.

1. My Canadian common-law partner is sponsoring me and we are applying inland. I have been in Canada since September 2010 on a working holiday visa. I currently have about 4 1/2 months left on my WHV and will be sending in my application this week. I will also be applying for the Open Working Visa at the same time with a request for it to be issued once I have been "approved in principle."

I have read on the CIC site about "applied status" that if you have a work permit and have applied for an extension you can continue working under "applied status" until you get a response.

My question is whether that works for the WHV. Can I continue to work legally after my visa expires and I am waiting to be approved in principle. I will be at the same job as the company I am working for will gladly keep me.

Also my SIN number expires at the same time as my visa so how does it work to get that extended?

Thanks a lot for your help.
First question, why are you applying inland? Overseas applications have much faster processing times and there is no right of appeal for an inland application. Think about that before you proceed further.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is called "implied status" and I am not sure if it is also valid for people who are on WHV but if it is, that would be a reason to apply inland for sure. Have you tried the call centre? As for the SIN, you would have to talk to Service Canada about that.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Provided you've lived with your partner for a full year (proceeding Sept 2010) I agree with rjessome that applying Outland would be the better way to go.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
It is called "implied status" and I am not sure if it is also valid for people who are on WHV but if it is, that would be a reason to apply inland for sure. Have you tried the call centre? As for the SIN, you would have to talk to Service Canada about that.
WHVs are not extendable so implied status to continue working is not supposed to apply to them. However, it's kind of a grey area.

jon_dza

Apr 29, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the reply guys. The only reason I would apply inland is because of the implied status. But if it doesn't apply to the WHV then I would definitely apply outland.