+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit and immigration

Hannahw96

Nov 5, 2018
My boyfriend and I have been in a LDR for a long time and now we are trying to live together, only problem is that he lives in Canada and I live in the US. We already have gotten my passport and are just waiting for it to show up so I can leave in a month, we also already got my plane ticket.

After we got all of these things together we have started working on getting a job through some companies that hire immigrants from outside of Canada, once we get a job that will hire me I will be able to apply for a work permit.

So with that being said, the questions I have are:
1. If I have a work permit for working in Canada but only have income from working for a month in the states will the immigration officer let me stay for as long as the work permit will let me work?
2. If I want to extend my work permit and get it approved will that also extend my visitor time?
3. When having to convince the officer that I will leave after my work permit (or visitor time) expires, what do I do because most of my income has already gone into this plan, is there another way to convince the officer since I will be making income when I get a job there?
4. I would really just like advice, I love my boyfriend and I really want to be with him, we have been planning this for awhile and I am hoping that things will go smoothly for us. In the future we plan on getting married but we don't want it to look like we are just getting married so that I can stay in the country. If anyone has any opinions or constructive criticism I would take it to heart. I just want to make sure I get this right without breaking any laws and having to be banned from the country.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you did not state the important parts:
1. if your BF is Canadian citizen or PR
2. What is your citizenship.

You are talking about a work permit as if you have it. Please be aware that is nowhere close to easy to get a work permit in Canada. And even if you get one most of the time it is a closed work permit.
You can get opened work permit only:
1. Up to 1 year for working holiday program (if you qualify for it).
2. Limited option to work as a part of a student permit
3. Spousal open work permit.
4. Bridge over work permit in case you have applied for PR.

From the little that you have said so far, you cannot have point 3 (distant relationship does not qualify for a common law), you did not mention any studies or that you have applied for PR, so nr. 2 and 4 is also not your case.

So either you have working holiday or you were scammed by somebody.

Why? Because if you had closed work permit you would hardly ask questions about USA income, since a close work permit does include a job offer from a specific company.

Furthermore you are mixing visitor and work permit.
Yes both tourist visa and any closed or opened work permit are types of temporary resident visas, but you cannot be at the same time visitor (which is a tourist that is not allowed to work) and to have work permit. You can only have either or.

Option 1 - working holiday is not a renewable work permit and if ever you have it and you want to keep working you would need a closed work permit. And unless you will qualify under NAFTA (that is if you are USA or Mexico citizen), that one is hard to get and employers just do not want to undergo LMIA process (their willingness does fade the moment they understand the whole paperwork behind).
So yes your extension of either a work permit or a visitor visa can be rejected.

Regarding finances. If you have a valid job offer (that will be a closed work permit), then the money guarantee is considered your future salary itself.
If however you have no job offer on hand, then you might be asked to prove your finances in order to support you during your stay in Canada. Technically Canada does not care where did you earn your money (USA or Somalia or Kuwait). What they care for that you can access those money instantly (so no purchased assets, houses or jewelry) and that you did not borrow them.

Reactions: bellaluna

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My boyfriend and I have been in a LDR for a long time and now we are trying to live together, only problem is that he lives in Canada and I live in the US. We already have gotten my passport and are just waiting for it to show up so I can leave in a month, we also already got my plane ticket.

After we got all of these things together we have started working on getting a job through some companies that hire immigrants from outside of Canada, once we get a job that will hire me I will be able to apply for a work permit.

So with that being said, the questions I have are:
1. If I have a work permit for working in Canada but only have income from working for a month in the states will the immigration officer let me stay for as long as the work permit will let me work?
2. If I want to extend my work permit and get it approved will that also extend my visitor time?
3. When having to convince the officer that I will leave after my work permit (or visitor time) expires, what do I do because most of my income has already gone into this plan, is there another way to convince the officer since I will be making income when I get a job there?
4. I would really just like advice, I love my boyfriend and I really want to be with him, we have been planning this for awhile and I am hoping that things will go smoothly for us. In the future we plan on getting married but we don't want it to look like we are just getting married so that I can stay in the country. If anyone has any opinions or constructive criticism I would take it to heart. I just want to make sure I get this right without breaking any laws and having to be banned from the country.
As said above, unless you are able to get a job offer that qualifies under NAFTA, you have very little chance of getting a work permit in Canada. You need to re-think your plan.

If the point of coming to Canada is to be with your boyfriend, you can enter as a visitor and apply for an extension to stay here for a year to become common-law and apply for sponsorship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Getting a job in another country is not a fast or simple process. It sounds like you don't have much savings. That may be an issue when you arrive in Canada. You may be asked how you will support yourself while in Canada. You also don't have a return ticket which may raise some concerns. Think you may be in for a bit of a shock when you realize this isn't as simple as you think.

Guri27891

Apr 18, 2018
Hi i have applied for my wife’s open work permit since july 19 2018 i am on 2 years closed work permit right now. Been waiting for more than 15 weeks now should i call cic and ask or wait for further time?