+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdrawal of refugee claim .

Sandrrt

Nov 5, 2023
I withdrew my refugee claim and became a pr through a pathway. Now does the period I was a refugee before withdrawal count towards my citizenship present days

AnonyKaty

Star Member
Jan 6, 2021
If it is a valid temporary resident status, it may count.

You may be able to use some of your time spent in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person towards your physical presence calculation. Each day spent physically in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident within the last five (5) years will count as one half day, with a maximum of 365 days towards your physical presence.

Temporary resident status includes lawful authorization to enter or remain in Canada as a:

1. visitor,
  2. student,
  3. worker or,
  4. temporary resident permit holder
Note: If you were issued work or study permits while your refugee claim and/or Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA) was being assessed, these documents did not grant you temporary resident status. You can’t claim temporary resident time for those periods.
A protected person is someone who:

• was found to be in need of protection or a convention refugee by the Immigration and Refugee Board
    or
  • received a positive decision on a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
If you are claiming time as a Protected Person, the only time allowed is the time from when you received a positive Protected Person decision on your refugee claim or PRRA application until the day before you became a Permanent Resident.

Here is what the website says.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The days before getting the refugee claim approved wouldn't have counted had the claim been actually approved.
The withdrawal should not make them go from not being included in the day count to being counted...
Go with the safe calculation and apply only when you have above 1095 days without needing those.

Reactions: AnonyKaty

AnonyKaty

Star Member
Jan 6, 2021
I agree with the person who posted above. Also remember that your days before PR count as half a day. So you don't lose anything waiting to secure more full days of physical presence

splee77

Jul 18, 2017
I withdrew my refugee claim and became a pr through a pathway. Now does the period I was a refugee before withdrawal count towards my citizenship present days
Hi I intend to withdraw the refugee claim. Could you please share some info as to which PR pathway is good -thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi I intend to withdraw the refugee claim. Could you please share some info as to which PR pathway is good -thank you
These pathways were only open for a limited period of time two years ago. There pathways are no longer available. If you plan to withdraw your claim then you need to also be planning to leave Canada.

splee77

Jul 18, 2017
OK. thanks for the info
do you have the procedure for withdrawal? I get different info from different people