+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will they refuse us if we are only 20?

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The more I think about it, the more I get worried of them denying me PR because we married young.

And to make things worse, I haven't ever worked before except for a few days which I had to quit because of distance.

Ugh...please help me relax my mind. I really don't want to be thinking like this with only 12 days to our wedding. :-X

esperando

May 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2009 at Mississauga
File Transfer...
23-11-2009 to Seoul
Passport Req..
02-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2010
LANDED..........
15-06-2010
Hi,

This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think marrying young should really be an issue. I mean, it really depends on how well you presented your case in your application, but I find it unlikely that and IO would think the relationship was not genuine JUST BECAUSE you were both in your 20s (or 20). Unless you had been dating for a very short time, met online and married a week later, or have significant age/culture gaps (I don't think this should be an issue, but the reality is that it is), who is to say what two people want to do with their lives? No one knows what will happen 5, 10 years down the road - if the future were so important, EVERYONE getting married in Canada should have to apply for approval from the government. The imporatant thing is to show Immigrations that what you have right now is genuine, not something you're using just to get into Canada, and that you plan to do your best to work at it.

I met my husband when I was barely 20, and we got married last year when I was 23. He is nine years older than me, and believe me we raised a few eyebrows. But in our application we provided ample proof that we had been dating sincerely for the past 4 years, and that we had very concrete plans about what we were going to do once we got to Canada. Our story is no fairytale, by any means. We had broken up twice during the 4 years we were together and my parents were not exactly ecstatic at the idea of me marrying a "foreigner" (they were not present at our wedding party). We didn't (and still don't lol) have much financial stability. And a bunch of other reasons, besides the age issue.

I know it's nervewrecking, especially if you read some of the stories and links people post here and start wondering "What if..." But I think everyone is just trying to keep everyone else informed. I am a worrier by nature and the five months waiting for our application to go through were absolute hell. I agree it's better to be safe than sorry. I mean, better worry about it now and find out there was nothing to worry about, than not worry about it and find out you SHOULD HAVE been worried, you know? But like I said, as long as you have a solid, straightforward and honest application... well the rest is just a waiting game.

Have you sent in your PR application yet? If you haven't there's still time to make sure everything's good to go :)

And congratulations on your pending wedding. Enjoy your special day and best of luck to you both!

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
ColorMePanda said:
The more I think about it, the more I get worried of them denying me PR because we married young.
I certainly don't think they'll deny you PR because you're young! I know I made some reference to such stats in that other thread, but I didn't exactly mean it to be taken the way you took it. I will explain better when I get a chance (hopefully, Monday). Right now it's after 4 a.m. and I need to get to bed!

So don't worry. I'll try to explain better what I was getting at.

rob_187

Apr 30, 2010
age does not matter when it comes to sponsoring a spouse, my wife just got her visa a few weeks ago, I was 20 at the time of marriage and she was barely 18, now shes 19 and i'm 21 and we will both be going back to canada together on may 25th. Try not to worry too much, money isnt an issue either, i was a student when I sponsored my wife and still am to this day, there isnt an income requirement, as long as you can prove you love each other it should be fine. Good luck and hope you and your spouse are together soon.

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
esperando said:
Hi,

This is just my personal opinion, but I don't think marrying young should really be an issue. I mean, it really depends on how well you presented your case in your application, but I find it unlikely that and IO would think the relationship was not genuine JUST BECAUSE you were both in your 20s (or 20). Unless you had been dating for a very short time, met online and married a week later, or have significant age/culture gaps (I don't think this should be an issue, but the reality is that it is), who is to say what two people want to do with their lives? No one knows what will happen 5, 10 years down the road - if the future were so important, EVERYONE getting married in Canada should have to apply for approval from the government. The imporatant thing is to show Immigrations that what you have right now is genuine, not something you're using just to get into Canada, and that you plan to do your best to work at it.

I met my husband when I was barely 20, and we got married last year when I was 23. He is nine years older than me, and believe me we raised a few eyebrows. But in our application we provided ample proof that we had been dating sincerely for the past 4 years, and that we had very concrete plans about what we were going to do once we got to Canada. Our story is no fairytale, by any means. We had broken up twice during the 4 years we were together and my parents were not exactly ecstatic at the idea of me marrying a "foreigner" (they were not present at our wedding party). We didn't (and still don't lol) have much financial stability. And a bunch of other reasons, besides the age issue.

I know it's nervewrecking, especially if you read some of the stories and links people post here and start wondering "What if..." But I think everyone is just trying to keep everyone else informed. I am a worrier by nature and the five months waiting for our application to go through were absolute hell. I agree it's better to be safe than sorry. I mean, better worry about it now and find out there was nothing to worry about, than not worry about it and find out you SHOULD HAVE been worried, you know? But like I said, as long as you have a solid, straightforward and honest application... well the rest is just a waiting game.

Have you sent in your PR application yet? If you haven't there's still time to make sure everything's good to go :)

And congratulations on your pending wedding. Enjoy your special day and best of luck to you both!
Wow EVERYTHING you wrote helped me a lot. Thank you so much.
Well we have known each other for about 2 years and met online.
He asked me out over the phone two weeks before coming to meet me in the US.
He visited and stayed with my mom and I for 4 months.
I came to Canada back with him on March 15, 2009 to live with him and his family and been here ever since.

It was nice to here things from another users perspective. And I too am a worrier by nature and believe that it is best to be worried now and prepared then not worry and not be prepared.

We haven't applied yet but are looking to in July. Crossing fingers all goes smooth and on schedule. :)
And thank you for the congrats! <3

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rob_187 said:
age does not matter when it comes to sponsoring a spouse, my wife just got her visa a few weeks ago, I was 20 at the time of marriage and she was barely 18, now shes 19 and i'm 21 and we will both be going back to canada together on may 25th. Try not to worry too much, money isnt an issue either, i was a student when I sponsored my wife and still am to this day, there isnt an income requirement, as long as you can prove you love each other it should be fine. Good luck and hope you and your spouse are together soon.
Aww congrats on the recent visa approval. :)
Thank you for sharing your story. This helped relax my mind quite a bit. More than you could know.

Tear drops

Aug 4, 2010
rob_187 said:
age does not matter when it comes to sponsoring a spouse, my wife just got her visa a few weeks ago, I was 20 at the time of marriage and she was barely 18, now shes 19 and i'm 21 and we will both be going back to canada together on may 25th. Try not to worry too much, money isn't an issue either, i was a student when I sponsored my wife and still am to this day, there isnt an income requirement, as long as you can prove you love each other it should be fine. Good luck and hope you and your spouse are together soon.

;D well you put a smile on my face my friend.. cause i am so glad that you can share some light on that.
i have try to apply for mine TRV and they turn me down but hope if she goes back to Canada she can start filing for me.

tell me.. do you know what forms should she start to file and roughly how much will she have to spend/ and she have been living here in Trinidad of and on but she plans to get a job when she goes back...really dose the kind of job matters? please let me know..cause i am 35 and she is 21. we barely have a history together and just got married but we don't want our parents to find out. so she lives by hers and i stay by mines... but we love each other.. we call each other every day and stay in touch

what is next my friend?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would recommend that you start by reading the information posted here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
ColorMePanda said:
He asked me out over the phone two weeks before coming to meet me in the US.
He visited and stayed with my mom and I for 4 months.
I came to Canada back with him on March 15, 2009 to live with him and his family and been here ever since.

! <3
okay so your husband is the sponsor (Canadian) and you are American? And you have been in Canada since March 2009 so you have been there for over a year? the thought of overstaying /illegal after 6 months is crossing my mind unless...u are on some other type of visa.

fallenstar831

Nov 8, 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
22-12-2009
Med's Done....
12-11-2009
Passport Req..
02-05-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-22-2010
LANDED..........
03-25-2010
My husband is 21 and was approved no issues.

S

SaugaBoss

wellll i dont think so?

my husband is 26 and i'm 23

I was engaged at age 21.
Married at age 22.
Filed at age 22.