+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will non-residency for tax purposes cause problems with an application?

rotato

Apr 2, 2015
Hello all,

I'm a Canadian citizen living in South Korea, working as an English Teacher.

I'm working with my accountant back home to file my taxes. I want to declare non-residency to be exempt from paying taxes on money I earned in Korea as I already pay Korean taxes. I want to know if there will be any detriment to sponsoring my soon-to-be Korean wife to come to Canada if I declare non-residency?

I'm aware that if I'm living in Korea at the application time, I have to prove I will go to Canada when she is accepted. But I want to make sure there won't be any problems due to being a non-resident for tax purposes, even though I'm a Canadian citizen and hold a Canadian passport.

Thank you!

Monna

Star Member
Feb 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
AOR Received.
07-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
20-12-2014
Passport Req..
10-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2015
Hello,

If you are a Canadian citizen, declaring non-residency should not affect your application. Just make sure you provide enough evidence of your intent to return to Canada. You should also show how you will support your wife in Canada.
I am Canadian citizen, currently living in Europe with my husband. I am non-resident for tax purposes and was approved as Sponsor in May 2015.
Good luck!

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
I would just try and have documentation of your income earned outside of Canada. If you pay Korean taxes, see if you can get an official document outlining what you paid.

rotato

Apr 2, 2015
Monna said:
Hello,

If you are a Canadian citizen, declaring non-residency should not affect your application. Just make sure you provide enough evidence of your intent to return to Canada. You should also show how you will support your wife in Canada.
I am Canadian citizen, currently living in Europe with my husband. I am non-resident for tax purposes and was approved as Sponsor in May 2015.
Good luck!
Thank you for your tips! Just out of curiosity, what kind of proof did you provide you show your intent to return to Canada?

I read something like proof of a job or a letter from family/friends outlining they know my plan and that it includes going back to Canada, as well as my own plan. I'll be getting a job when I go back to Canada for sure, but I probably won't be able to get one until we actually go back. I'm planning on going back a few months before my wife comes, but I won't have a job setup when we apply for her PR card.

Sheps said:
I would just try and have documentation of your income earned outside of Canada. If you pay Korean taxes, see if you can get an official document outlining what you paid.
That's a great idea too! I have a document from my employer saying how much I earned, how much I paid for taxes, etc. Would that be sufficient or do you think it needs to come from the government?

Thank you!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The info from the employer will probably be good enough. If you can get official income tax info too, great. CIC wants to see how much you are earning, pay stubs, that kind of thing, since you don't have an option c.

If you go back several months before your wife gets the visa, you can send in proof that you have re-established yourself in Canada, such as proof of employment, proof of your residence, etc. (Send it to the visa office that has the application to be added to your wife's file.) You have to send in proof you will return to Canada with the application, but if this proof is not that good, shoring it up with the actual proof you have gone back will help.

rotato

Apr 2, 2015
canadianwoman said:
The info from the employer will probably be good enough. If you can get official income tax info too, great. CIC wants to see how much you are earning, pay stubs, that kind of thing, since you don't have an option c.

If you go back several months before your wife gets the visa, you can send in proof that you have re-established yourself in Canada, such as proof of employment, proof of your residence, etc. (Send it to the visa office that has the application to be added to your wife's file.) You have to send in proof you will return to Canada with the application, but if this proof is not that good, shoring it up with the actual proof you have gone back will help.
Thank you for your help. :) If I can get proof of employment, that would be the best-case. But I'm worried I won't be able to get employment before her application is approved or until the last legs of the process.

If sufficient proof isn't given with the initial application or supplied before they get to the part, do they notify you that they need more proof or do they just reject the entire application?

Thank you!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
They usually send a letter stating that they need more proof the sponsor is intending to move back to Canada.

rotato

Apr 2, 2015
canadianwoman said:
They usually send a letter stating that they need more proof the sponsor is intending to move back to Canada.
Oh, that's great to know! Thank you for letting me know. :)

Monna

Star Member
Feb 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
AOR Received.
07-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
20-12-2014
Passport Req..
10-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2015
You are very welcome :)

I have my entire family in Canada, so I asked my parents to write a letter stating they expect us both in Canada. They also stated in the letter that they would allow us to live in their second house to help us settle in. They also have a small business where I can work, so they also stated that. Letter was notarized and they attached documents like proof of purchase for their house and small business.
I also included a letter with our step by step plan, explained how we would manage to live first 6 months, etc.

My husband got letters from his parents and friends stating they confirm our plans to come to Canada and establish there.

I also provided a letter from my employer in Europe, with my salary for last year and amount of taxes paid for last year.