+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my PGWP be effected if I took leave of absence for semester?

kizumono23

Feb 20, 2017
Hi there,

I'm going to graduate after this December. I have to take a leave of absence for four month from May to August. I'm just wondering if this gap will prevent me from getting the PGWP? On CIC website, one requirement of PGWP is: "have continuously studied full time in Canada (i.e., studies must have taken place at a Canadian educational institution) and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in duration;"

Thanks a lot!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It might. How long was your program? Did you take a summer break as well?

kizumono23

Feb 20, 2017
Thanks for replying!

I'm in a Phd program, which is from 2013 to Dec 2017. If you mean summer beak is from may to august, I think graduate students in my university do not have it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You should be OK provided you didn't work during the LOA.

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
Hi, I have the same exact situation. I took a medical leave (LOA) from my university last summer and returned back to Canada in September to complete my masters. I applied for a study permit extension last month. Does taking a medical leave affect my chances to renew my study permit? Please let me know

Reactions: MickeyMoore05

MickeyMoore05

Dec 3, 2018
I have an exact situation too. I took an LOA authorized by my school and now I want to apply for PR. Will I be affected?

Last edited:

ehsan3001

Star Member
Mar 12, 2019
Toronto
You should be OK provided you didn't work during the LOA.
Hi,

I am studying a master program in Concordia University and have hold a full-time status in every semester except in the summer 2018 when I took a leave of absence. Summer semester is not a mandatory semester in Concordia and it is considered as a regularly scheduled break. Anyway, on that time I went to the international office of Concordia and they told me to be able to work full time in the summer you need to take a leave of absence otherwise you have to work part-time and I took the leave and worked full-time the whole summer and then again I registered for the fall semester and I worked part-time. So I was a full-time student in the winter before summer and in the fall after the summer. Now I read the IRCC website and they say that student who took an authorized leave of absence may be eligible for PGWP but if you take a leave you should not work on or off campus during the leave. "You can’t work on or off campus during an authorized leave from your study program, even if your study permit says you’re allowed to work in Canada."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival/study-permit-conditions.html#s01.1

This statement made me anxious and I went to the international office and asked them again. They explained that for the summer 2018 that I took the leave I had to take the leave to work full time, but then the rule changed and student who want to work full time in the summer don't have to take a leave and they can work full time while registered in the summer semester. They also told me because summer is a regularly scheduled break I won't face a problem with IRCC in terms of PGWP. Now my question is : Are they telling me the truth? is their understanding of the rule is correct?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Regards,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I am studying a master program in Concordia University and have hold a full-time status in every semester except in the summer 2018 when I took a leave of absence. Summer semester is not a mandatory semester in Concordia and it is considered as a regularly scheduled break. Anyway, on that time I went to the international office of Concordia and they told me to be able to work full time in the summer you need to take a leave of absence otherwise you have to work part-time and I took the leave and worked full-time the whole summer and then again I registered for the fall semester and I worked part-time. So I was a full-time student in the winter before summer and in the fall after the summer. Now I read the IRCC website and they say that student who took an authorized leave of absence may be eligible for PGWP but if you take a leave you should not work on or off campus during the leave. "You can’t work on or off campus during an authorized leave from your study program, even if your study permit says you’re allowed to work in Canada."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival/study-permit-conditions.html#s01.1

This statement made me anxious and I went to the international office and asked them again. They explained that for the summer 2018 that I took the leave I had to take the leave to work full time, but then the rule changed and student who want to work full time in the summer don't have to take a leave and they can work full time while registered in the summer semester. They also told me because summer is a regularly scheduled break I won't face a problem with IRCC in terms of PGWP. Now my question is : Are they telling me the truth? is their understanding of the rule is correct?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Regards,
If you took the summer off and summer is a regularly scheduled break that most students take in the program - there's nothing to be worried about.

ehsan3001

Star Member
Mar 12, 2019
Toronto
If you took the summer off and summer is a regularly scheduled break that most students take in the program - there's nothing to be worried about.
Thank you for the quick reply, but what about the quote that says you should not work during any leave of absence? do they mean the leave of absences during the regular semesters like Winter or Fall?

Reactions: Naiem

ishaan666

Sep 7, 2016
Thank you for the quick reply, but what about the quote that says you should not work during any leave of absence? do they mean the leave of absences during the regular semesters like Winter or Fall?
Hi ehsan, I am in the same situation as you are, I did internship in summer before my final semester and the university gave me leave of absence.
I wanted to ask you what did you do about your PGWP. And what document did you add to prove you are eligible. I am in urgent need of solution hence my number is 51446626683. Please contact me.

ehsan3001

Star Member
Mar 12, 2019
Toronto
Hi ehsan, I am in the same situation as you are, I did internship in summer before my final semester and the university gave me leave of absence.
I wanted to ask you what did you do about your PGWP. And what document did you add to prove you are eligible. I am in urgent need of solution hence my number is 51446626683. Please contact me.
First off, don’t worry
If Summer is a regularly schedule break at your university, you won’t face a problem. You just need to get a letter from your university that shows you have been a full time student and you hold the full time status continuously. You will also need to prove that Summer was a regularly schedule break probably by your university calendar or by another letter from your university.
If Summer is not a schedule break, then you are in trouble, but still you have some hopes. First, you have to prove that internship was necessary or there was no course for you in summer, also the LOA shouldn’t have been more than 150 days which I think it is not a case for you.
I hope it helps

ishaan666

Sep 7, 2016
I am in Concordia University and I finished my masters in December. In summer 2019 i took this leave of absence as suggested by graduate advisor. I told her that I want to do internship in summer. she suggested me to take leave of absence and I took.

ehsan3001

Star Member
Mar 12, 2019
Toronto
I am in Concordia University and I finished my masters in December. In summer 2019 i took this leave of absence as suggested by graduate advisor. I told her that I want to do internship in summer. she suggested me to take leave of absence and I took.
Then no problem. Don’t worry.
Cause mine was also Concordia university.
1- get a status letter that shows you were a full-time student
2- get you completion letter or degree conferred letter if you got your degree
3-get your official transcript
4- any other documents that are listed by ISO or immigration
Apply, I don’t think you face a problem.
If in any case they recused you contact me via this forum, I will help you prepare an explanation letter as I did for my friend who got refused because of one LOA and then we applied for reconsideration and they accepted our letter and finally issued his PGWP.

ishaan666

Sep 7, 2016
First off, don’t worry
If Summer is a regularly schedule break at your university, you won’t face a problem. You just need to get a letter from your university that shows you have been a full time student and you hold the full time status continuously. You will also need to prove that Summer was a regularly schedule break probably by your university calendar or by another letter from your university.
If Summer is not a schedule break, then you are in trouble, but still you have some hopes. First, you have to prove that internship was necessary or there was no course for you in summer, also the LOA shouldn’t have been more than 150 days which I think it is not a case for you.
I hope it helps
But what about the leave of absence mentioned in the transcript. Wont that create a problem?