+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife pregnant - Outland App. HELP!

runningfree

Apr 3, 2012
Hi there,

If anyone could help me with some questions here it would be greatly appreciated. Here's the info:

My wife and I both reside in Korea. I sponsored her and we sent our application for Permanent Residency in January 2012. We just found out that she's roughly 3 weeks pregnant. Currently the average wait time for a Korean applying outside of Canada is 9 months, which means as long as everything goes according to plan she'll have her PR prior to giving birth. My concern is that we'll be moving to Ontario and Ontario has a 3 month waiting period in order to be eligible for OHIP. Does this mean that if she is issued her PR in September she won't be eligible for OHIP until December? If we were to move to Canada prior to her being issued PR (let's say June) would the 3 month waiting period start then or does it only start once she's issued PR? I understand that if you file an INland application you can apply once you receive first stage approval however I don't know if any sort of rule applies for outland apps.

Hopefully that makes sense and someone can help guide me in the right direction.

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - that's correct, if you wife lands in Canada and becomes a PR in September, then she won't have health care coverage until three months later in December.

The three month count starts when she lands in Canada AND becomes a PR. Moving to Canada earlier (i.e. before she becomes a PR) will not shorten the three month wait.

And yes - you're correct in understanding that inland applications can apply for OHIP after first stage approval. First stage approval is currently taking 11 months to complete. So you are still far better off applying outland.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
hi runningfree did u get ur sponsor approval yet? we also applied in January and we'll be going crazy sooon ::) thanks

once ur application reaches Korea and u have a file number maybe u can send an email to the VO with this update, maybe they could speed up the process a little....usually they don't but u never know :) good luck!!

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
I called Service Ontario re: OHIP info. I applied outland. I read them what supporting docs/letters I received from CIC and VO, and I was told that I am eligible to apply for OHIP. I have to bring my docs with me and as long as I have been in Canada for 3 months, they said it would not be a problem...that I am eligible. They also said if I have problems at the local "counter" to have them call Toronto head office for assistance. I will be going next week and let you know how it turns out. Hope this info helps!

runningfree said:
Hi there,

If anyone could help me with some questions here it would be greatly appreciated. Here's the info:

My wife and I both reside in Korea. I sponsored her and we sent our application for Permanent Residency in January 2012. We just found out that she's roughly 3 weeks pregnant. Currently the average wait time for a Korean applying outside of Canada is 9 months, which means as long as everything goes according to plan she'll have her PR prior to giving birth. My concern is that we'll be moving to Ontario and Ontario has a 3 month waiting period in order to be eligible for OHIP. Does this mean that if she is issued her PR in September she won't be eligible for OHIP until December? If we were to move to Canada prior to her being issued PR (let's say June) would the 3 month waiting period start then or does it only start once she's issued PR? I understand that if you file an INland application you can apply once you receive first stage approval however I don't know if any sort of rule applies for outland apps.

Hopefully that makes sense and someone can help guide me in the right direction.

Thanks!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
muffy1 said:
I called Service Ontario re: OHIP info. I applied outland. I read them what supporting docs/letters I received from CIC and VO, and I was told that I am eligible to apply for OHIP. I have to bring my docs with me and as long as I have been in Canada for 3 months, they said it would not be a problem...that I am eligible. They also said if I have problems at the local "counter" to have them call Toronto head office for assistance. I will be going next week and let you know how it turns out. Hope this info helps!
Muffy, do you have PR now or are you just a visitor? Curious because from my understanding you have to be a PR.

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
No, just visitor. But, per TO head office, they said because I have a letter on gov letterhead stating that they are working on finalizing my application,etc, etc, that that, along with sponsorship approval and the proof of ID's they told me to bring entitles me to apply for OHIP. I explained that I was outland and, again, read the docs I had received, and they said I will have no problem to apply.

parker24 said:
Muffy, do you have PR now or are you just a visitor? Curious because from my understanding you have to be a PR.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Forum members have reported they were able to get provincial health care in Alberta before they were PRs as well. Maybe if one person tells you no, just keep trying.

runningfree

Apr 3, 2012
Hmm seems like one of those grey areas. Not sure if I want to roll the dice with a situation like this. Anyways all the info so far has been very helpful, thank you. Muffy please keep me updated on how that goes...good luck!

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
muffy1, please keep us posted!

As a matter of fact, I was looking at it earlier today and think as a visitor we're not eligible based on the red text on following webpage.
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/ohip/eligibility.html

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Yes, and I agree with that. But, just above that it states: You are eligiblel if......

you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada (please note: applicants for permanent residence are no longer required to provide confirmation of having satisfied the Immigration medical as a condition for OHIP coverage);

Anyway, I've heard others were approved, as well. Since I have the name and date and time of whom I spoke with at head office and was told that I was eligible for it, then I'm going to apply. I'll get the same result as I have now if I don't try, anyway, so it can't hurt.

GOGOGO said:
muffy1, please keep us posted!

As a matter of fact, I was looking at it earlier today and think as a visitor we're not eligible based on the red text on following webpage.
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/ohip/eligibility.html

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
muffy1 said:
Yes, and I agree with that. But, just above that it states: You are eligiblel if......

you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada (please note: applicants for permanent residence are no longer required to provide confirmation of having satisfied the Immigration medical as a condition for OHIP coverage);

Anyway, I've heard others were approved, as well. Since I have the name and date and time of whom I spoke with at head office and was told that I was eligible for it, then I'm going to apply. I'll get the same result as I have now if I don't try, anyway, so it can't hurt.
So you've been approved for PR? Correct me if I'm wrong? Reason I ask is because my husband has been here for a year and I was curious if he'd be able to get OHIP once he's been approved. Hm. I look forward to hearing how it went!

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
Agree, can't hurt, especially you have the words from the head office. Would you share what documents you are taking to apply for OHIP please? Those mentioned on the FAQ page?

Source: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx:

What immigration documents must I present to confirm my immigration status as an Applicant for Permanent Residence (previously called an Applicant for Landing) when applying for Ontario health insurance coverage?

If you are applying for Ontario health insurance coverage as an Applicant for Permanent Residence, you are required to present written confirmation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that you are eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada, which may be one of the following :
•CIC Confirmation Letter – letter on CIC letterhead addressed to the Applicant for Permanent Residence that confirms that the applicant is eligible to apply for permanent residency in Canada;
•CIC Immigration document such as a Work Permit, Visitor Record, Temporary Resident Permit or Study Permit with note in the “Remarks Section” that indicates that you have applied for permanent residence; or
•A Work Permit case type 27, which are issued solely to individuals who have applied for permanent residence within Canada.

muffy1 said:

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
I have the CIC letter approving sponsor, also a letter stating that they are working on finalizing pr app, also visitor record, then the proof of id's I will bring, as well. I will keep you posted and let you know what happens. Might not go until next week but, again, will keep you posted.

GOGOGO said:
Agree, can't hurt, especially you have the words from the head office. Would you share what documents you are taking to apply for OHIP please? Those mentioned on the FAQ page?

Source: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx:

What immigration documents must I present to confirm my immigration status as an Applicant for Permanent Residence (previously called an Applicant for Landing) when applying for Ontario health insurance coverage?

If you are applying for Ontario health insurance coverage as an Applicant for Permanent Residence, you are required to present written confirmation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that you are eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada, which may be one of the following :
•CIC Confirmation Letter – letter on CIC letterhead addressed to the Applicant for Permanent Residence that confirms that the applicant is eligible to apply for permanent residency in Canada;
•CIC Immigration document such as a Work Permit, Visitor Record, Temporary Resident Permit or Study Permit with note in the “Remarks Section” that indicates that you have applied for permanent residence; or
•A Work Permit case type 27, which are issued solely to individuals who have applied for permanent residence within Canada.

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks muffy! :)

muffy1 said:
I have the CIC letter approving sponsor, also a letter stating that they are working on finalizing pr app, also visitor record, then the proof of id's I will bring, as well. I will keep you posted and let you know what happens. Might not go until next week but, again, will keep you posted.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
parker24 said:
So you've been approved for PR? Correct me if I'm wrong? Reason I ask is because my husband has been here for a year and I was curious if he'd be able to get OHIP once he's been approved. Hm. I look forward to hearing how it went!
It sounds like they are getting health coverage before they are being approved for PR. They are just showing proof that they applied for PR, and that the sponsor has been approved.