+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife is arriving Jan 10th to apply for inland sponsorship. Advice needed!

Serenn7

Dec 1, 2018
Just jumping on board here - I will also be arriving in Jan 10th, and will apply for inland. I dont have a return ticket and definitely wasnt planning on buying one as last time I went to Canada I also got an one-way and nobody asked, in case they do ask I have 10.000CAD as proof of money that I can buy a return ticket if needed. Would that be OK? Anyone heard of anybody getting refused?

funboy101

Star Member
Nov 30, 2018
My wife arrived in August same way you are planning - she came on a visitor visa, told CBSA she was arriving with dual intent, had copies of our marriage certificate, letter authorizing her to travel with our kids, etc. It was all fine but where she ran into an issue is CBSA asked how long she was staying. She told them the truth (planning to extend visitor visa till PR approved) and they didn't like that. They wanted to hear she was only staying 6 months, since that's the max allowable on a visitor visa. Once she said that it was fine and they allowed her to enter. I'd generally say be truthful about why your wife is coming but he clear to CBSA that it's a visit and she isn't just moving here on a visitor visa. Good luck!

Tmcdchef87

Star Member
Dec 14, 2018
Funboy, thanks so much. Made me feel better. Did she have a return flight booked? Funds? Did you go with her?

Sorry for all these questions, we are just nervous. She is the world to me and want to ensure she gets here ok.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hmmm, I'm gonna talk to my consultant and get her to rewrite the letter. You all have a very valid point. Any suggestions on what the letter should say?

Ok. So we will start off by saying she is coming to visit me (we will go up together). Question regarding the return ticket; should we get it 6 months ahead or even 3-4 months ahead? Thoughts?
Skip the letter altogether. No matter how it is written, it is essentially telling CBSA how to do their job. There is nothing the letter can explain that you and your wife can't say yourselves, if asked. The thing you should have is the PR fee receipt for $1040, but again, show only if asked further questions.

Reactions: Jazzercise

funboy101

Star Member
Nov 30, 2018
Funboy, thanks so much. Made me feel better. Did she have a return flight booked? Funds? Did you go with her?

Sorry for all these questions, we are just nervous. She is the world to me and want to ensure she gets here ok.
No worries, we found it stressful too. My wife came alone with our two kids, I met her at the airport. I'd recommend doing that so she can tell CBSA someone is there right away for her. She had a one way ticket but copy of my bank balance with sufficient funds for living, onward travel, etc. Never hurts to get a refundable return ticket though.

The CBSA staff were very rude to my wife so potentially be prepared for that - they were demanding to know why she didn't apply outland first, saying PR processing takes 2 years, etc. I'd say just stick to the same talking points - your wife is arriving on visitor visa with dual intent, she will stay 6 months, not overstay her status, comply with all visitor status requirements, leave if/as necessary, inland application is an option, etc. This is all allowable under law and CBSA has a mandate to keep families together so I'd be very surprised they would deny her entry (which they can do anyway to anyone wanting to visit, regardless of circumstances, entry is never guaranteed).

It took my wife a while to get through immigration but in the end was fine. My friends wife did the same thing last year and they waved her through immediately, no questions or hassle so much depends on the agent you get. In general I don't think you will have any trouble.

Reactions: frew

Jazzercise

Sep 25, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Request
07-01-2019
Med's Done....
17-01-2019
Going to back up what some posters have already said... Only answer what they ask you; volunteer as little information as possible. The letter should probably remain tucked away, out of sight (if you have a piece of paper in your hand, don't be surprised if they ask to see it). As some have noted, it might just irritate the CBSA officer, which you don't want to do. They wield a ton of power. All they want to hear is that you're entering as a visitor and will be doing visitor stuff without overstaying. I would book a refundable return ticket, if possible. Showing that fees are paid will help, if in fact you decide on being more forthcoming.

Tmcdchef87

Star Member
Dec 14, 2018
My consultant just told me for an inland sponsorship to go through, the individual must be in Canada before we apply. I googled and researched it and it turns out to be true? We are gonna be applying a week after she arrives to sign the documents and whatnot.

I'm gonna be honest, guys. I have all my ducks in a row lined up. If they ask why my wife is here, she is coming as a visitor but to apply for an inland sponsorship, plain and simple. Best to be direct from the get go.

I'll be there to support her. Fun, you are right, it is legal and we are doing nothing illegal so all I can pray for the best. Not much else we can do.

Last edited:

funboy101

Star Member
Nov 30, 2018
My consultant just told me for an inland sponsorship to go through, the individual must be in Canada before we apply. I googled and researched it and it turns out to be true? We are gonna be applying a week after she arrives to sign the documents and whatnot.

I'm gonna be honest, guys. I have all my ducks in a row lined up. If they ask why my wife is here, she is coming as a visitor but to apply for an inland sponsorship, plain and simple. Best to be direct from the get go.

I'll be there to support her. Fun, you are right, it is legal and we are doing nothing illegal so all I can pray for the best. Not much else we can do.
Yes I believe your consultant is correct - your wife needs to be in Canada in order to apply for inland. I think you are well-prepared though so try not to stress too much. Just my opinion, but honesty is always the best policy with IRCC and CBSA. Don't volunteer loads of information unprompted but if they ask something, be truthful and you'll be fine.

I'm sure you're familiar with the dual intent language around A22(2) so just keep in mind these points and be able to convey answers that would address any concerns CBSA would have, and things will go smoothly:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/dual-intent-applicants.html

Tmcdchef87

Star Member
Dec 14, 2018
One more question and I am done;

I went through a career change and was unfortunately out of a job since September. I had savings. I used all that up and just got a new job and have an income coming in now since November 1st (doing something I love as well!).

If I print off my bank statements, it will show up as a lot of.. nothing. I do however, have a letter of employment from my current employer. Will this suffice? My job security is excellent and he wrote me an amazing review (I was a Chef and am now into the social work field specializing in people with addictions).

Also, my mother has offered me her house to live in, rent free, with a letter proving so while the application is in process. Gives me more money to provide for my wife so we jumped at the idea! She provided her number and she will be in the airport when we arrive.

Hopefully this will not cause any problems.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
One more question and I am done;

I went through a career change and was unfortunately out of a job since September. I had savings. I used all that up and just got a new job and have an income coming in now since November 1st (doing something I love as well!).

If I print off my bank statements, it will show up as a lot of.. nothing. I do however, have a letter of employment from my current employer. Will this suffice? My job security is excellent and he wrote me an amazing review (I was a Chef and am now into the social work field specializing in people with addictions).

Also, my mother has offered me her house to live in, rent free, with a letter proving so while the application is in process. Gives me more money to provide for my wife so we jumped at the idea! She provided her number and she will be in the airport when we arrive.

Hopefully this will not cause any problems.
There's no income requirement to sponsor a spouse. You just need to show how you will support them. You have that covered so no need to worry.

Reactions: scylla

Tmcdchef87

Star Member
Dec 14, 2018
Gotcha. So the chances are highly unlikely that the border guard will be asking for financial statements, especially since we do not have any children together.

Is this correct?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Gotcha. So the chances are highly unlikely that the border guard will be asking for financial statements, especially since we do not have any children together.

Is this correct?
They likely won't ask for any financial documentation. They may ask how much money you have or how you support yourselves.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Is this correct?
If your wife is arriving and says she is staying for 6 months it is not uncommon to be asked how you will support yourself if you can't work. Given her husband is Canadian not sure they will ask about access to funds like they often do to visitors that they are concerned about. In general I think you need to stop overthinking and volunteering too much information. Also stop talking to your consultant they aren't necessarily giving you great advice about the landing.

Tmcdchef87

Star Member
Dec 14, 2018
You're right. I'm definitely overthinking it. This happens to lots of people every day and as long as we are honest and not breaking any laws, all will be ok.

Tmcdchef87

Star Member
Dec 14, 2018
Hey Canuck,

Took your advice. We paid for the sponsorship application and have the receipt. We have:

-Return flight (refundable, six months from Jan 10th)

-Flying in with her for support

-Medical Insurance (until May)

-Receipt of PR application fee along with our application we are almost done with, including our original marriage certificate

-Wife has 5k Canadian dollars cash (she sold her car)

-Rewritten letter from Consultant taking out all the stuff as per suggested, stating we are going to be filing the paperwork before the end of January and we have retained her to do so

-Letter from my mother stating we will be living with her rent free while the application is in process and IF needed, provide financial assistance (wont be needed).

-Employment letter from my job

I was unemployed for two months (career change) so my bank records will not look great lol, my wife actually helped me out from Mexico during that period. But I will have a paystub from December 30th.

The ties back home are tricky. My wife has been to Canada numerous times, without problems and has flown back on time. She did have to leave her job to get herself paid out (she tried to take a leave of absence to no avail) but has her entire family (lots of them) all back home. She is most certainly not a rule breaker and will truly leave Canada if it does not work out.

Otherwise, we will simply tell the guard my wife is here as a visitor while I apply to be her sponsor when asked what our purpose is.

I think I am good to go. Any other suggestions?

Last edited: