+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WHICH VISA?

niftyneil

Oct 13, 2008
Hi

I am new here so please bear with me.

My application for skilled worker visa is in London and we have a file number but it was filed after 28th Feb.

I am being offered a permanent job in Alberta and now am unsure which way to go.

I am a retail manager NOC 0621 and I am being offered this job title .

Can I get a temp work visa or should I go PNP. I am meeting my new employer next week and would like to have some knowledge of where I stand

Many thanks

A

adnan_hsn

The other members will have more information about this, but I think you can expedite your case (under the same file ID) using the job offer letter you have received. That can still take upto 3 months but that’s a lot better than having to wait for 3 years.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your prospective employer applies for an AEO (arranged employment opinion) for you, it could speed up your FSW application. However, all FSW applications since Feb 27 are currently waiiting for new rules so it's likely nothing will happen for at least a couple of months. They are planning to publish a list of 38 professions and if you aren't one of them, you might not be able to apply as FSW. Nobody knows yet. It also depends on the election. If we have a new government, nobody knows if they will go by the same policy the current government has been setting up.

I think it might best to get an LMO and temporary work permit, go and start your job and apply for PNP with your employer once you are there.

niftyneil

Oct 13, 2008
Thanks Leon
Sounds like good advice.

so would it be better to ask my employer to say I am temporary or permanent.
My job was an occupation under pressure when we applied.
When I receive my temp visa will my wife and son have to come to Canada with me or can they travel at a later date on my visa. Our original application does include them.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Neil

pearl82vn

Jun 15, 2008
Same as mine. I got worker visa first then applied permanent visa. It came so fast.

As managerial level, u can bring yr family accompany with u and she can work under open workpermit.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your employer already applied for you for something, did he apply for AEO or LMO? If you need a temporary permit, you need an LMO. The temporary permit is not connected to your FSW application or what you said on it at all. You need to also include your family when you apply for a temporary permit, apply for an open work permit for your spouse at the same time. Once you have your temporary permit, you can apply with your employer to Alberta immigration for a PNP certificate. Once you get your PNP certificate, you need to call CIC to make sure but you probably would have to withdraw your FSW application and apply again for PR under PNP.

You could actually apply for PNP directly from where you live now with your job offer but that depends on your employer. Many employers want you to work there for 3 months before they apply for you.

Alberta PNP program can be found at http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrate/employerdriven.html

niftyneil

Oct 13, 2008
Again thanks for the advice.

We thought we were going to have to wait for the CIC process but then this job opportunity came along.

In the UK we have a house to sell etc. so it is probably not that practical for my wife to go to Canada as early as me but I am unsure whether we must arrive together or she can come later. Our son wants to come with me so that is ok but there will be some things to sort here.

What I am trying to say is will my wife have a period of time to land in Canada. Hopefully it wont be too long after me.

Neil

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she gets a open spousal work permit, she can join you later. I know I have coworkers who are in the same situation and the spouse often stays behind to take care of loose ends and comes and joins them later.

claxtonCT

Star Member
Oct 11, 2008
One question on the same topic:

If the main applicant is successful in getting a temp work permit then his/her spouse is guaranteed a open work permit isn’t it? In another words, CIC will not evaluate the spouse work credentials and then make a decision right? Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A temporary skilled worker can apply for open work permit for spouse whether they are married or common law and nobody will check the spouses education. The spouse getting an open work permit means that they need no LMO and can take any job.

REG

Oct 14, 2008
El Salvador
Hi, I am new too at this so please excuse my ignorance. I am a wholesales manager and applied for the skilled worlers program in January 2007, submited my IELTS in november 2007 and finally got a file number. But according to this file number my application initial date is June 2007??? It´s going to be 1 year since I submited my IELTS and I haven´t heard a word about my status (its been "In Progress" for over a year). I know that my file is being processed in Guatemala, and that another person from El Salvador that submitted his IELTS in October 2007 allready received the physical exams forms this last September. What can I do to know what happened with my file? The "average process times" in the CIC website begin counting since my file was received in June 2007, or since I first submitted my application forms in January 2007?