+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which is a better choice between the Saskatchewan or Manitoba PNP programs?

rkun7197

Aug 30, 2024
Good day, writing this post to get some advice. I'm a Canadian citizen (became a PR through Express Entry a few years back then became citizen) based in Ontario and want to bring my family into Canada. However, we all know how hard it is for people to immigrate nowadays (especially to Ontario), so I thought maybe I'd explore other provinces and see if there are better opportunities there. All of my family members, even my parents, are all still in working ages (age range 24-56) and are all professionals with work experience (accountant, accounting technician, mechanical engineer turned factory manager, and a pharmacist), and I know the Manitoba and Saskatchewan PNP programs provide huge bonuses for applicants who can provide proof of ties (aka, family member who reside in the province and since I work in IT, fully remote, I can technically live anywhere in Canada and honestly, it might even be more cost-effective for me to move to another province), which would help my family's applications. So I am seriously thinking about possibly moving, but can't decide which one would offer better chances?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
For SINP, you need to research the skilled worker program and look at the draws and NOCs selected. So you need to move and have lived there for several months. Also they all cannot apply at the same time. So your parents could apply first and get the points. Then parents need to be nominated, apply for PR, land, settle in the province and live for a certain amount of time (think it is 6 months or a year) and then you could support another family member. And the program can change at any time. Their education must match their NOCs. So if relative has engineering degree their NOC/work experience must match it. You need to do the research because having family in the province doesn’t guarantee anything.

Same for Manitoba and I think it is more complicated with the points system.

Are you single? Provinces are revamping their programs focusing on those with the skills who are studying and working in the province. Having family in Canada is not enough to immigrate anymore. So have your family members look at the programs and figure out scores with ECA, IELTS, work experience etc.

Last edited:

rkun7197

Aug 30, 2024
For SINP, you need to research the skilled worker program and look at the draws and NOCs selected. So you need to move and have lived there for several months. Also they all cannot apply at the same time. So your parents could apply first and get the points. Then parents need to be nominated, apply for PR, land, settle in the province and live for a certain amount of time (think it is 6 months or a year) and then you could support another family member. And the program can change at any time. Their education must match their NOCs. So if relative has engineering degree their NOC/work experience must match it. You need to do the research because having family in the province doesn’t guarantee anything.

Same for Manitoba and I think it is more complicated with the points system.

Are you single? Provinces are revamping their programs focusing on those with the skills who are studying and working in the province. Having family in Canada is not enough to immigrate anymore. So have your family members look at the programs and figure out scores with ECA, IELTS, work experience etc.
I see, yes I am single and have no other family in Canada. Actually, the reason why I am looking into this is because Family Sponsorship has been closed for new applications for years, and the Express Entry stream scores are so high nowadays that the only people who would probably get in are CECs or PNPs, or if you know French. I really like living here but if it would mean that I'd have to be alone and never be able to actually live with my family forever, I don't think I can take that so I'm checking what options are available and which would probably have better chances of succeeding.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I see, yes I am single and have no other family in Canada. Actually, the reason why I am looking into this is because Family Sponsorship has been closed for new applications for years, and the Express Entry stream scores are so high nowadays that the only people who would probably get in are CECs or PNPs, or if you know French. I really like living here but if it would mean that I'd have to be alone and never be able to actually live with my family forever, I don't think I can take that so I'm checking what options are available and which would probably have better chances of succeeding.
You need to research the programs and whether your family members are eligible. And remember that PNP programs can change at any time so you need to move to a province that you want to live in. PNPs are just as difficult as EE now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add it will likely be much more difficult for your parents to qualify for EE. Immigration favours young people. Parent sponsorship is also far from guaranteed so your sibling should realize that moving to Canada does not guarantee that your parents will be able to move to Canada.

mpnpIM

Star Member
Nov 27, 2023
I'd say move to Manitoba or Alberta, Alberta picks siblings from the EE pool, Manitoba pnp is more family friendly.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'd say move to Manitoba or Alberta, Alberta picks siblings from the EE pool, Manitoba pnp is more family friendly.
Alberta is revamping its program and hasn’t had a family connection draw in a very long time. And even then believe under 200 were selected.