+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which country do I show ties to?

Sevennn

Jan 15, 2022
Hello everyone, I was accepted for the September 2022 intake for a bachelor's degree in computer science. I've been writing my SOP so I can start applying for the study permit but I have a problem with explaining the ties to my home country. I was born in Syria and am a Syrian citizen, but I've been living my whole life in Saudi Arabia. I can show ties to both of these countries but I've been noticing that expats from the gulf have been getting rejected frequently, so I'm hesitant on what to do. Both of my parents work in Saudi and have been living here for 25 years and my siblings still have valid residence permits so they come and go, but we have no personal assets here. Despite the war in Syria, I'm from a fairly safe city and both of my siblings have been studying there for the last 5 years, my parents have multiple properties , and we've been visiting Syria every year since 2018 (except 2020, from Covid) and have stamps on my passport to prove that. I feel like I have a better chance if I wrote about Syria, but I'm afraid the VO won't believe that I'll go back because of the circumstances and maybe even the career prospects in my country. But if I wrote about Saudi, I might get rejected because of my immigration status like I keep seeing for other expats. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
You are right with both fears and probably why you have gotten no response to this question.
Refusal is 50% either way as your confusion regarding which country to show ties to and family divide may also raise questions in the VO mind of intent

Last edited:

Nemerj19

Sep 4, 2021
If you have a stable job you can show ksa.
As in ksa many expats doesn’t have much assets except their business / job, if showing ties to ksa then you need a job, good profession, should be stable, free from saudization.