+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

when can i start to work in Canada after I'm approved?

AsianBabe

Mar 6, 2010
PHILIPPINES
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
July, 2010
My husband is a Canadian and I am under family class sponsorship. When can i start to work in Canada after I'm approved?

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Assuming this is an outside Canada application, what happens is they issue the visa, then you travel to Canada and land as a Permanent Resident. You can then work immediately.

Some employers might insist you have a SIN (social insurance number) card before you start work, or before you can be added to payroll, but technically it's not necessary - you are allowed to work straight away.

homesoon

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Matthewc is half correct. You are entitled to work in Canada as a Permanent Resident - but NOT until you apply for your Social Insurance number.
Everyone in Canada must have a S.I.N. in order to legally work - it's the way our taxes are compiled, recevied/paid and attaches us to benefits (ie. Unemployment Insurance). Employers are asked to see a social insurance card within 3 days of hiring someone. After that, they are not suppose to employ anyone who does not have a social insurance number.

The good news - when you apply for a social insurance number, you have to wait for the card to be mailed to you BUT you get the number immediately.

You will need a SIN number to get a bank account too.... so you're best to apply for one right away.

More information can be found at servicescanada.gc.ca

AsianBabe

Mar 6, 2010
PHILIPPINES
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
July, 2010
matthewc & homesoon, thank u very much for replying... God Bless... :D

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sorry homesoon, but I believe you're actually half-correct. It's somewhat of a pedantic point, since a PR will want to apply for a SIN as soon as possible, but you do not require one to start work. The employer is supposed to check if you have one, but it's not a legal requirement for you to have one before you can be employed legally.

As a PR you have the right to work in Canada, and you are completely entitled to start work before applying for a SIN. There is no requirement to delay hiring someone until after they have applied for their SIN, as long as the employer is satisfied they are legally allowed to work (Citizen, PR or valid work permit).

Many employers play it safe, and won't hire you until you show the SIN card, but that's not strictly required from what I understand. If a PR lands, and has an employer lined up already, there is no reason legally why they cannot start work the same day.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are also not required to have a SIN to open a bank account. Even a tourist can open a bank account as long as it's a non-interest bearing account. If you get interest, there will be taxes paid from it and therefore you would need a SIN for that.

Ssarah183

Star Member
Jun 5, 2009
When was on my working holiday visa i opened my bank account with td before my temporary SIN came and it wasn't an issue.

agj

Mar 1, 2010
Hi Leon,
As per your info that even tourists can open a bank account, can you please tell me what bank is it? As a tourist I tried to open a savings account there twice, last 2008 and 2009 and was both denied, even though I brought a letter from my bank (Philippines) explaining that I have been their client for so many years and have substantial deposits. I failed because, among others, they want a Canadian driver's license which I do not have (I'm a tourist). I have with me my passport and other official Philippines' IDs. I went to RBC, HSBC & Scotia bank.

agj

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
agj said:
Hi Leon,
As per your info that even tourists can open a bank account, can you please tell me what bank is it? As a tourist I tried to open a savings account there twice, last 2008 and 2009 and was both denied, even though I brought a letter from my bank (Philippines) explaining that I have been their client for so many years and have substantial deposits. I failed because, among others, they want a Canadian driver's license which I do not have (I'm a tourist). I have with me my passport and other official Philippines' IDs. I went to RBC, HSBC & Scotia bank.

agj
Did you try CIBC?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I went to CIBC with my cashier check for $10,000 (skilled worker funds) and told them I need to open an account. They were reluctant at first and then I showed them the check and asked them what I should do with it. They changed their mind very fast. I opened a regular checking account at first. I did not open a savings account until later. You may have been denied a savings account because it's interest bearing and you should have a SIN for that.

I still would not recommend CIBC though. I had my problems with them and they generally have a bad reputation. TD is better.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I opened a bank account TD Canada Trust without anything Canadian except a Canadian address. The only disappointing part was the 45 day hold on the US check that I deposited.