+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to say to immigration officers?

marcjacobs

Jun 10, 2010
So I posted my story on the other topic for Common-law sponsorship under (Visa problems, boyfriend is irish)

We are more familiar with the whole process of applying outland. The problem is, I am in Ireland at the moment, and when I go back we will be living together for 11 months. Since you need to wait 12 months to send the application, we were thinking about going back. And my boyfriend would come back with me as a visitor for 6 months, and hopefully he would get his PR before the end of the 6 months. If not, I will come back here as a visitor for a few months as well.
The problem is, my boyfriend will move to Canada with me, he doesn't plan on working or overstaying his visitor visa. But we need to convince the immigration officers. I know that usually you need a return flight, some ties to your home country and a job or something.
If he gets a return ticket for a month later (let's say we go back in January and he gets a return ticket for February) then he can move the date of his return flight to be in 6 months. If he has enough funds, let's say 3000$. I am there saying that he will stay at my place for his whole stay. Would that be enough? Or they won't believe he wants to go back. He lived to Canada for a year, he came to visit me last year and only stayed for 2 weeks like he was supposed to. Do you think they would believe he will go back?
What should he say ? Should he say he's coming to visit my family with me? Since we will be travelling together. Or should he just say he's coming to visit some friends for a month? He's working for a big company here, if he shows his work contract. Even if he will resign before going to canada, would that be enough?
Cause to be honest, if he can get a PR and we can get the papers sorted out in 6-8 months, he wouldn't really go back
I don't know what to do? If we tell them directly that he's planning to apply for a PR, they will probably refuse him and say that he needs to come back when he gets the PR. (We are applying outland with him living in Canada as a visitor for 6 months)
It's really stressful, cause I don't know what we should say for him to be able to enter the country for 6 months.
As long as he can come in, the rest will be easier.
Thanks for your advices.

britincanada

Apr 15, 2010
Hamilton Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
31-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2010
LANDED..........
29-09-2010
I have entered Canada 4 times, I have always been asked what I do for a living but never had to produce any proof, However if you are really worried bring his work contract, he must be able to show proof of funds $30,000 CAD is more than enough..the requirement is $10,000 CAD per 6 months. After 6 months your boyfriend may be eligible to apply for an extension..how long have you been living together in Ireland?

To be honest it would be easier for your boyfriend to go through customs on his own and say he was coming to visit you..IO's are harder on Couples coming through customs together!

marcjacobs

Jun 10, 2010
There is no way we will be able to save 30 000$ before January, that is just crazy. So he will say that he's coming to visit me for 1 month and then change his flight.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think this older discussion has some similarities in your case:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t46266.0.html

Ireland and Japan are both visa-exempted countries, the passport holders usually get the normal 6 months that everyone else gets. (unless there is a problem)

Hey Brit, can you direct me to where CIC says he must be able to show proof of funds $30,000 CAD?