+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What documents do I need to send to a professional translator?

ROCIOLIVELY

Jul 26, 2024
I have questions, what documents are considered official to be translated by a professional translator? I understand these to be birth certificates, passports, marriage certificates, police certificates, etc. Please, study diplomas, work certificates, volunteer certificates, as well as water/electricity bills, rental contracts, purchase receipts, bank receipts, etc. Also, do I send them to be translated with the stamps of a professional translator and sent to a notary?

Thank you very much for clarifying this doubt.

Rocío Lively

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have questions, what documents are considered official to be translated by a professional translator? I understand these to be birth certificates, passports, marriage certificates, police certificates, etc. Please, study diplomas, work certificates, volunteer certificates, as well as water/electricity bills, rental contracts, purchase receipts, bank receipts, etc. Also, do I send them to be translated with the stamps of a professional translator and sent to a notary?

Thank you very much for clarifying this doubt.

Rocío Lively
Technically all docs have to be translated if they're not in english or french.

Submit as much as possible only required docs.

If you have to submit other official docs, yep, translated.

You might get away with simple and obvious docs without a translation if in a well known language (like spanish). At your own risk. I did this with some docs like bills where the only content of note was name and the fact it was a bill.

ROCIOLIVELY

Jul 26, 2024
Technically all docs have to be translated if they're not in english or french.

Submit as much as possible only required docs.

If you have to submit other official docs, yep, translated.

You might get away with simple and obvious docs without a translation if in a well known language (like spanish). At your own risk. I did this with some docs like bills where the only content of note was name and the fact it was a bill.
Hello, thank you very much for your reply. A few more questions, please. Can these simple documents (which I have quite a lot of), such as diplomas, purchase receipts, contracts, etc., be translated simply (documents without translation stamps) by a professional translator from Canada, but only with an affidavit, as I understand in this paragraph of the checklist?

"If your documents are not in English or French, include a notarized (certified) translation with a certified copy of the original document, or an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if the translation is not provided by a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada). "

As for official documents, I understand that they must be with all the formalities (the document notarized, translation with stamps).

Another question, is it optional to attach study diplomas and work certificates? They are not attached, right? I see that they are not mentioned in the checklist, but in the Additional supporting documents section, there is a CV/Resume. T

Thank you very much for your reply.

Rocio Lively

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, thank you very much for your reply. A few more questions, please. Can these simple documents (which I have quite a lot of), such as diplomas, purchase receipts, contracts, etc., be translated simply (documents without translation stamps) by a professional translator from Canada, but only with an affidavit, as I understand in this paragraph of the checklist?

"If your documents are not in English or French, include a notarized (certified) translation with a certified copy of the original document, or an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if the translation is not provided by a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada). "
I do not understand what you wrote. Read the instructions again, and then do that.

Another question, is it optional to attach study diplomas and work certificates? They are not attached, right? I see that they are not mentioned in the checklist, but in the Additional supporting documents section, there is a CV/Resume. T
Things that are not required (i.e. listed in the checklist as things you must submit) are optional. CV/resume is not an official document; you can just write it in English or French.