+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What circumstance changes are necessary to notify IRCC of during sponsorship?

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Hi everyone,

Just like the title says, I'm trying to find if there is an extensive list or a rule of thumb one should refer to about what kind of circumstance changes to notify IRCC of during spousal sponsorship.

I found this list on the guide:

"You must tell us of any change in circumstances, such as:
  • birth or adoption of children
  • marriage or divorce or separation
  • death of an applicant or dependant"
They say "such as" so of course this isn't everything. So where's the full list? Do they not care if PA's job changes or moves to a different country (assuming contact information is irrelevant since there's a representative dealing with IRCC communication)

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

Just like the title says, I'm trying to find if there is an extensive list or a rule of thumb one should refer to about what kind of circumstance changes to notify IRCC of during spousal sponsorship.

I found this list on the guide:

"You must tell us of any change in circumstances, such as:
  • birth or adoption of children
  • marriage or divorce or separation
  • death of an applicant or dependant"
They say "such as" so of course this isn't everything. So where's the full list? Do they not care if PA's job changes or moves to a different country (assuming contact information is irrelevant since there's a representative dealing with IRCC communication)

Thanks!
Yes you must advise IRCC if you move to another country.

davidoqc2

Aug 16, 2021
Is there a resource you can point me to where it says that? I’d like to read more about these requirements. Thanks!
As far as I can tell, moving to another country doesn't directly count as a 'change in circumstance', but you will need to let IRCC know that you've changed address. Any communication that I received from IRCC just mentions that you need to update your current address with them, even if you're covered by a representative. It could be classed as mis-representation if you happen to move to another country and you go over the time period that you'd need to provide a police certificate, for example.

I'm guessing you're applying from outland?

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is there a resource you can point me to where it says that? I’d like to read more about these requirements. Thanks!
Any change in the information you provided in your application should be updated of it changes. Living in another country is a pretty significant piece of information. It also will impact where you want your passport stamped.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
What if the sponsor change job or get fired from their previous job???
I think it should be updated too. But since it's not PGP (no minimum income requirement), it's not as import.

You do not need to say "fired", you can put become unemployed if you are still job searching.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
As far as I can tell, moving to another country doesn't directly count as a 'change in circumstance', but you will need to let IRCC know that you've changed address. Any communication that I received from IRCC just mentions that you need to update your current address with them, even if you're covered by a representative. It could be classed as mis-representation if you happen to move to another country and you go over the time period that you'd need to provide a police certificate, for example.

I'm guessing you're applying from outland?
Any change in the information you provided in your application should be updated of it changes. Living in another country is a pretty significant piece of information. It also will impact where you want your passport stamped.
Yes it's an outland application. Thank you both for your insight on this.

What about travel history, is it necessary to update IRCC about new travels and visits since submitting the application? This is assuming that no travel is for over 6 months (i.e. will not require police certificates from new countries)