+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are Your Timelines? Need advice. (Russian applicant.)

KaterinaRus

Jun 16, 2021
Hi guys,

I applied from Russia on May 28th. Before they changed Processing Time to 8 weeks for all countries, Moscow visa office was showing 3 weeks. My application is on its 20th day today. I also have to mention that I applied 3 times before and each application was refused within 2 days (at the Moscow office). So does it mean they are processing it and it may be approved this time? (I've read on this forum that most people are getting refusals within the first 2 weeks). I wrote a new SOP which is clearly answering all their previous concerns and also added new documents.

The thing is, on my GCKey it's showing:
  • We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
The rest (medicals, fingerprints, eligibility review) haven's started yet. I did upfront medicals, the doctor said everything was OK and she sent it to IRCC 2 months ago. I also did biometrics a few months ago so they have them and they are showing on GCKey.

Just curious if there are any Russians on this forum who applied this May, have you gotten a decision yet?

Also, could they have sent my file to another embassy, I've heard they were sending them to Warsaw for some reason and Warsaw has a very low approval rate. Also, the "we are processing your background check" message appeared during the first week, so does it mean they've been processing my background check for this long, or is it just an automatic message and means nothing?

If anyone has any thought on this, please share. The wait is justttt o_O:rolleyes::confused:

MarieCol

May 4, 2021
Hey! It seems like they check first the applications submitted before May 15th. I completed biometrics on May 28th and there is no update as of today. I am Russian but applied in the country of my residency which is different.
Be patient, hope you will get it!

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi guys,

I applied from Russia on May 28th. Before they changed Processing Time to 8 weeks for all countries, Moscow visa office was showing 3 weeks. My application is on its 20th day today. I also have to mention that I applied 3 times before and each application was refused within 2 days (at the Moscow office). So does it mean they are processing it and it may be approved this time? (I've read on this forum that most people are getting refusals within the first 2 weeks). I wrote a new SOP which is clearly answering all their previous concerns and also added new documents.

The thing is, on my GCKey it's showing:
  • We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
The rest (medicals, fingerprints, eligibility review) haven's started yet. I did upfront medicals, the doctor said everything was OK and she sent it to IRCC 2 months ago. I also did biometrics a few months ago so they have them and they are showing on GCKey.

Just curious if there are any Russians on this forum who applied this May, have you gotten a decision yet?

Also, could they have sent my file to another embassy, I've heard they were sending them to Warsaw for some reason and Warsaw has a very low approval rate. Also, the "we are processing your background check" message appeared during the first week, so does it mean they've been processing my background check for this long, or is it just an automatic message and means nothing?

If anyone has any thought on this, please share. The wait is justttt o_O:rolleyes::confused:
The old country-specific timelines no longer hold. They will be distributing the workload for study permit applications across their various offices in order to meet the target of August 6 so it's possible your application will be processed elsewhere. Since you missed the May 15th deadline, you are not guaranteed a response by August 6.

The fact that your application has not been rejected in 2 days like previous times, is not indication whatsoever that it will be approved. It just means your application is further down the queue.

The Background check is an automated update. Everyone now gets it from the first week of submission. There's nothing to it.

Good luck with your application, hopefully it's 4th time lucky for you!

KaterinaRus

Jun 16, 2021
Hey! It seems like they check first the applications submitted before May 15th. I completed biometrics on May 28th and there is no update as of today. I am Russian but applied in the country of my residency which is different.
Be patient, hope you will get it!
That makes sense.

The reason I am worried is because my school won't let me register for Fall semester until I send them my Study Permit. I emailed them today, asking if they'd allow me to register for classes without it, because if it's approved in July or August I would not be able to register since the classes would be full. We'll see what they reply))

Thanks, hope you'll get it as well!)

KaterinaRus

Jun 16, 2021
The old country-specific timelines no longer hold. They will be distributing the workload for study permit applications across their various offices in order to meet the target of August 6 so it's possible your application will be processed elsewhere. Since you missed the May 15th deadline, you are not guaranteed a response by August 6.

The fact that your application has not been rejected in 2 days like previous times, is not indication whatsoever that it will be approved. It just means your application is further down the queue.

The Background check is an automated update. Everyone now gets it from the first week of submission. There's nothing to it.

Good luck with your application, hopefully it's 4th time lucky for you!
Thank you for the info, I didn't realize they could send applications to different offices. I was thinking that I was getting an approval based on the fact that they were processing it for a relatively long time.

I'll just start working on my backup plans right away, as if this new app has been refused already))