+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Was denied entry my very first time going to Canada will it effect my PR application?

CmDr

Sep 10, 2024
So as a U.S citizen we thought I could visit Canada for 6 months with no problem.. Long story short the officer denied my entry and I had to sign a volunteer leave and corrected my mistakes. So I did, I'm not inadmissible. I've moved closer to Canada so my husband and I can visit each other more often and I haven't been denied since.. this was almost a year ago.. We've been going by the law and with honesty SINCE the beginning. Should I be concerned about this? It was accusation of trying to "immigrate". Would it be best to get a lawyer or since i've listened to what the officer said and fixed everything and haven't been denied since the very first time, should be fine?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
So as a U.S citizen we thought I could visit Canada for 6 months with no problem.. Long story short the officer denied my entry and I had to sign a volunteer leave and corrected my mistakes. So I did, I'm not inadmissible. I've moved closer to Canada so my husband and I can visit each other more often and I haven't been denied since.. this was almost a year ago.. We've been going by the law and with honesty SINCE the beginning. Should I be concerned about this? It was accusation of trying to "immigrate". Would it be best to get a lawyer or since i've listened to what the officer said and fixed everything and haven't been denied since the very first time, should be fine?
So, it sounds more like you were offered the opportunity to leave (withdraw your application to enter Canada) as opposed to denied entry. Two very different things. Make sure in your application you note the "asked to leave" , but other than that, I doubt there is any serious ramifications, particularly since it sounds like you've been making regular trips.

Reactions: CmDr

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It shouldn't affect your PR application, esp - and I assume - if it's a spousal sponsorship app.

As noted, make sure you disclose the opportunity to leave thing.

There's no obvious reason in the above that you'd require the services of a lawyer (doesn't sound that complicated), but up to you of course.

Reactions: CmDr and Buletruck