+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa

mroliveland

Star Member
Mar 7, 2012
I am a licensed physician practicing in Canada. I am sponsoring my wife. I wonder if I can get her on visitor visa while her application is pending. As a doctor in good position, I will be covering all her expenses. However, I got depressed when I saw the discouraging posts regarding the chances of getting visitor visa. Should I go ahead and try?

- Will my position in Canada as a licensed practicing doctor help?
- If rejected, will this affect the application of my wife?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It is difficult to get a visitor visa while a PR application is being processed. This partly depends on what country the applicant is from. It might be easier to get her a visitor visa before you send in the PR application, then send the application in right away after she arrives.
The visa officers look more at the applicant than the sponsor. Your wife must show proof she will leave Canada when her TRV expires. So your status as an employed professional will help show you can support her during her stay, she has to show more than this. She should have a return ticket with a specific date, ties to her home country such as a job, a house or apartment, enrollment in school, etc. Then she shows a letter from her boss giving her two weeks vacation (or whatever) and stating she is expected back, receipts showing she has paid for classes that start after her date of return, proof she has paid her rent for times after her date of return, things like that. Leaving a child behind is also good proof, if possible in her case I don't know. Evidence she has traveled to countries where she needs a visa before and returned on time can also help.
So there is no harm in trying for the TRV, but usually they are refused.
One or two attempts to enter Canada to see her boyfriend or spouse shouldn't hurt her PR application, thought they will have to be mentioned on the application and explained. What will hurt her PR app is many unsuccessful attempts to enter Canada and other Western countries.

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
Ultimately, it depends on what intent you are showing for a particular type of visa.
If your spouse is applying for TRV, but the documents stress that she wants to stay with her spouse, the intent is she might overstay her visa. This is one of the main reason why such applications get refused. However, if in her application, she can prove that she can live independently (has a steady job and takes care of herself - not depending on your income etc), has a property in her name that would tie her to her home country etc shows that the intent is just to meet the spouse and that she would likely return back. I believe the visa officers do take into consideration for spouses to be together and hence would not outright reject such applications. Provide valid reasons why she needs a TRV when the PR application
is in process (spend summer vacation together, celebrate an upcoming anniversary etc)

In any case, the outcome of TRV would in no way affect her PR process.

erinblaak

Sep 21, 2011
Southeastern Asia
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-10-2012
AOR Received.
13-11-2012
File Transfer...
07-12-2012
Med's Done....
09-30-2012
you basically just need to prove in the best way you can that your wife will be returning back home after her visa runs out.
if your wife works, ask her employer for a leave of abscence letter, stating that she has been granted time off to visit you, but does need to return back to work on a certain date.
Also of course 3 months at least of bank accounts showing that she is financially independant.
Other than that you have to hope for the best!

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
I sent in an application for a visitor's visa for my husband, thinking it would be no problem to get since we had a PR application in process. Then I found this forum and realized I was wrong and it would probably get denied. It was only $75 but even if we get it he could be turned away at the border. So I am hoping it is just denied so we don't have to decide whether or not to attempt the visit. I should find out soon. You could apply - you just have to show lots of proof your spouse will return home when the visa expires. That can be difficult with her husband doctor living in Canada. I provided no proof he would return to his homeland, I laugh at that now. I wish I had found this forum earlier cause I wasted like $125!

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
canadiangirl78 said:
...but even if we get it he could be turned away at the border...
It would be very unlikely that your spouse would be turned away at the border, just because the PR is in process. Statements like "I have come here to *meet* my wife and spend a *few days* together" as opposed to "...*stay* with my wife and like to *live* together" make a lot of difference.

Don't loose hope. For all that is said on the forum, there are tons of others where TRVs were given. The bottom line is, you do your part, let CIC do its part. And whatever the results, don't loose hope!

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
sakamath said:
It would be very unlikely that your spouse would be turned away at the border, just because the PR is in process. Statements like "I have come here to *meet* my wife and spend a *few days* together" as opposed to "...*stay* with my wife and like to *live* together" make a lot of difference.

Don't loose hope. For all that is said on the forum, there are tons of others where TRVs were given. The bottom line is, you do your part, let CIC do its part. And whatever the results, don't loose hope!
Our situation is tricky. My husband is undocumented in the US because he was brought here as a child with no border inspection. We are trying to rectify that and have been for several years. So if they deny him at the border, he will have to go to Mexico as the US won't let him in and he hasn't been there since he was 8 or something and has no real ties. So we don't know if we should risk it IF he even got the visitor's visa.

Another complication - we got a PR in 2010 in less than 3 months but had to let it expire because I was pregnant and some other unexpected life changes that made us unable to move before the expiration date. So I think they might give him a visitor's visa just because we have received a PR before which they will see in his passport. I am curious to know the decision.

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Wishing you all the best in your process. And hope that you would soon meet your goal of "Turning you Mexican husband and American child to proud Canadians".

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
Thank you. Do you think it will hurt us that our 2010 visa expired? I did email asking for an extension but they said no and we would have to apply again from scratch.

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Explaining the reason why you had to let the earlier application expire would certainly help clarify your situation. But you would have to do that pro-actively and not wait for the visa officer to ask you about it.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
sakamath said:
Explaining the reason why you had to let the earlier application expire would certainly help clarify your situation. But you would have to do that pro-actively and not wait for the visa officer to ask you about it.
When I mailed in our application last month, I explained that we got a PR in 2010 but couldn't move because I was pregnant. I never thought it would create a problem until right now. I keep finding things to worry about!

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
canadiangirl78 said:
When I mailed in our application last month, I explained that we got a PR in 2010 but couldn't move because I was pregnant. I never thought it would create a problem until right now. I keep finding things to worry about!
Hey Canadiangirl78, One thing you should not do is worry! You've stated a valid reason for your earlier case. And that is convincing enough. I do understand that the process itself is stressful, but you should also realise that it would turn out for the best in the end.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
Sorry for hijacking the thread with my own story but just to update, an immigration officer called my husband today and after some discussion he recommended we withdraw our application so if it is denied by his supervisor (if he tried to approve it) it won't be a red flag when they start processing our PR. He was super nice and totally understood our situation but said it was complicated with my husband living in the US undocumented and having no ties to Mexico. He didn't want my husband turned away at the border and then stuck in Mexico for months. So I am thankful to this immigration officer for helping us!

sandes

Mar 15, 2012
hello guys,
my husband is sponsoring my son and i. they asked us a tax paper and we sent it since last year, canadapost lost it. until now they still cant give us a letter stating that they lost the document, letter we need to send to imigration together with a new tax paper.
its taking way too long and im hopeless.
can my husband come to stay with us in our country while the PR is processing? thanks.