+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor visa extension options

wannabehere

Nov 4, 2007
Hi All,

I work in the United States and came to Canada on a visitors visa in Dec' 2006 to get my US based work visa stamped at a US Consulate in Canada. Unfortunately, my case was sent for furthur processing. I have been waiting in Canada since then to get my case approved. Its taking a long while, but I know that my case will be approved. Its just a matter of time.

I used up the first six months of my visitors visa and then applied for a 3 month extension which was approved. But I needed more time and have applied for another 3 months of extension. I have my job in the US and have every intention to return as soon as my case is done processing.

Now I am afraid that my second extension wont be approved. I have abided by all the rules of a visitors visa till date. I have never worked nor studied nor done anything but just sit at home waiting.

In case my second extension doesnt get approved, is there anything I can do from my end to be able to stay here legally? Is there anything I can do even before I hear about my second extension decision? I want to stay here since my case is under processing with a US Consulate in Canada.

Can I apply to a school here and just transfer my visa to a student visa? Is that possible? How easy/difficult is that? will I have to step out of the country for that? Is there any other visa I can apply for?

In case my extension is denied, will I have to leave the country the same day or will I get a few days of grace period to book my ticket and pack myself?

Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
WannaBeHere

martinamw

Nov 21, 2007
Hi

I am in a simular situation, I am from Ireland and going through a US spousal visa. My wife is from the US and "visits" me in Canada. I had 6 months from when I entered Canada and extended my visa twice. The second extension has still not been processed and I came back home to Ireland to have my interview for the US visa. It got denied, so now I have to go back to Canada to be with my wife. I should be able to just get another 6 months as I'm entering on my passport.

My wife never had any trouble crossing the border from the US to Canada to see me. She had school in the US and crossed frequently. Anytime she did cross, she got (3 months or 6 months; cannot remeber which) allowed to stay in Canada.

When she left Canada to go to the US, then came back into Canada, her allowed time would start again (either 3 or 6 months)...
So... why don't you just cross the border into the US, then come back into Canada and get the new time.
You are a US citizen correct?

Also, If you can help me with this? Is a visitor allowed to live in Canada? I need to enter again, can I say that I have been living in Canada, and I plan on for another 3 months?

amandeepsingh

Aug 24, 2013
My parents have received super-visa of Canada. i want to know that can they go any time from the date of visa issu............
Can anybody help ..........