+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor V-1 category should leave the Canada with in 6 months ?

hari168940

Apr 21, 2014
Hi ,

I am currently working in Canada on work permit. My wife in India got Canada Visitor V-1 category visa which expires on December 2023. In some forums I have seen that person having visitor visa must leave the country with in six months. Is it true ?
In my case my wife visa expires on December 2023 but still is it compulsory that my wife should leave Canada with in six months after her entry to Canada irrespective of her Visa validity date ?

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks
Hari

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unless stamped otherwise when you enter Canada, a visitor visa allows someone to visit for six months. At the end of that six months, the person either needs to leave Canada or apply for an extension to their visit (before the visit ends).

The expiry date indicates when the visa is no longer valid. It does not mean someone is allowed to remain in Canada for that long without leaving.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi! I doesnt understand these words.
Please say if my visa valid until 25 August, is it right, if I arrive at 25 August, I can stay until 25 January (6 months)? Of course if a visa officer will not give me a visa record.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=442&top=16
:)
You mean "visitor record" not "visa record".
In the scenario you described, the "visitor record" is the 6-month stay up to 24 January.
The visa validity that's printed on the visa counterfoil (25 August) and visitor record (25 August to 24 January) are determined differently.
What scylla posted 3 years ago and the info in the link you gave say the same thing.

inna79

Aug 11, 2017
You mean "visitor record" not "visa record".
In the scenario you described, the "visitor record" is the 6-month stay up to 24 January.
The visa validity that's printed on the visa counterfoil (25 August) and visitor record (25 August to 24 January) are determined differently.
What scylla posted 3 years ago and the info in the link you gave say the same thing.
bellaluna, thank you for your reply! :)
Yes, of course, I meant the visitor record.
But my main question consderes another: Have I right to arrive on 25 August and to stay for not more six months?
I have 3 years visa and have been in Canada for 2 times for 2 weeks a time only.
I understand that a visa officer can change my departure date.
As i understand, the link I gave say that yes, I can

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
bellaluna, thank you for your reply! :)
Yes, of course, I meant the visitor record.
But my main question consderes another: Have I right to arrive on 25 August and to stay for not more six months?
I have 3 years visa and have been in Canada for 2 times for 2 weeks a time only.
I understand that a visa officer can change my departure date.
As i understand, the link I gave say that yes, I can
I thought I indirectly addressed your question, but yes.

Reactions: inna79

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
thank you for your answer! So I can arrive 25 august and stay for 1 month after EXPIRY DATE.
You keep asking different variations of this same question. I don't know what to tell you anymore. You might as well ask the CBSA officer when you arrive at the port of entry if you cannot understand this concept by asking and reading on an Internet forum.

inna79

Aug 11, 2017
You keep asking different variations of this same question. I don't know what to tell you anymore. You might as well ask the CBSA officer when you arrive at the port of entry if you cannot understand this concept by asking and reading on an Internet forum.
Thank you again! I've got one question only and very sorry for my english. But my question was very simple. What concept do you mean and what variations of it do you see?! There are me and my 3-years visa that expires on 25 august. I just asked can I arrive and stay after EXPIRY DATE 25 august.
As I understand you, yes I can.
Again very sorry for my English. Thank you sicerely for your time! :)

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thank you again! I've got one question only and very sorry for my english. But my question was very simple. What concept do you mean and what variations of it do you see?! There are me and my 3-years visa that expires on 25 august. I just asked can I arrive and stay after EXPIRY DATE 25 august.
As I understand you, yes I can.
Again very sorry for my English. Thank you sicerely for your time! :)
I don't think your English is the problem. I don't know how else to make you understand this.

First time you asked: "if I arrive at 25 August (last day of your visa), I can stay until 25 January (6 months)?"
I answered yes and explained why.
Second time you asked: "Have I right to arrive on 25 August and to stay for not more six months?"
If you are granted a 6 month stay on August 25, then you can definitely stay for 1 month as you intend, because 1 is less than 6.
Third time you asked: "So I can arrive 25 august and stay for 1 month after EXPIRY DATE."
It's almost the same as your previous questions.

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
When does your passport expire?

If your passport expires shortly after you arrive/less than 6 months from 25 August, you can expect the CBSA officer to limit your stay i.e. it will not be 6 months from 25 August

inna79

Aug 11, 2017
Dear bellaluna, sorry again for my misunderstanding! You are right: I asked the same question three times. But Im very worried about my arrival on this August. Because new visa cant make in such short time. And accidentally I was very glad to see that. Thank you for your answers and your very useful forum! :)

When does your passport expire?If your passport expires shortly after you arrive/less than 6 months from 25 August, you can expect the CBSA officer to limit your stay i.e. it will not be 6 months from 25 August
Bryanna, Good day! Thank you for your reply! My passport expires at 2022. I think it's ok :D

Jay154

Jan 26, 2018
Hi, i am a foreign student in the US and have a temp visitors Canadian visa valid up to 5 years. Can i get a work permit or permanent residency in Canada?

manigill

Nov 25, 2017
Hi ,

I am currently working in Canada on work permit. My wife in India got Canada Visitor V-1 category visa which expires on December 2023. In some forums I have seen that person having visitor visa must leave the country with in six months. Is it true ?
In my case my wife visa expires on December 2023 but still is it compulsory that my wife should leave Canada with in six months after her entry to Canada irrespective of her Visa validity date ?

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks
Hari
Dear I simple Word your wife should have leave canada within in six month otherwise she have to apply for extension...more than six she will be illegal in canada