+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor to be Worker

dualmommy

Feb 27, 2012
So heres my situation, Ive been in Canada basicly 3 years off an on (off when my visitor record is to expire and have to return back to the States). I was previously engaged and my common-law spouse and i had planed on getting my permanent residency via his sponsership, but we have since split up. I have 2 children here in Canada (who are canadain citizens) and plan on keeping our life here. I just made the round trip back from here in canada to the states and back, I was allowed at customs to stay for the 6 month allowed time. Upon entry i informed the immigration officer that i had a job interview here in alberta the following day and asked what steps needed to be taken to get my status changed from a visitor to a worker if i got the job (the employer has a open LMO so id be eligable to work). SOOO my question is, as it was unclear via the port of entry officer what steps i could take to change my status. Is is possible to take my offer letter to a port of entry at the border and change my status there and recieve a work visa, or do i need to go back into the states and apply for a work visa that will take up to 2 months to process. BASICLLY what are my options now that i have my job offer letter....can start whenever i have my worker status!!

SpiderBiff

Sep 30, 2012
Hey,

I hope you got your work permit sorted.

I am in a similar situation and I was wondering how you did it. Did you get the work permit at the border or have to apply from the US?