+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada and US - need return ticket?

goodsam

Sep 7, 2011
Hi,

My family is spread in both US and Canada. My parents want to visit Canada first and then to the US. They would return back to India from the USA. The US trip details cannot be finalized for another month or two (the US destination being a moving target for now) and it is not clear where they would leave the US from. We want them to visit canada in the meantime. At the same time, I dont want them to undergo an interrogation at the Port of Entry. Can we buy a one way ticket for them to Canada and use a tentative itinerary (indicating departure from US) at the Port of Entry? :-\

Some of the other suggestions I received from friends are:

1) "Buy a return ticket from Canada to India and later change it to US to India." I dont know the charges involved in this transaction. Has anybody done this before?
2) "Buy a premium return ticket from Canada to India and then cancel it upon arrival, book return tickets from US once clear information is available. It seems this doesnt cost any money for cancellation in this segment." But the premium ticket rates are scarily high to experiment. Any inputs here?
3) "Buy a return ticket from any US destination (say Chicago) to India and change it later to the accurate destination. The return ticket from US should be accepted at Canada's Port of Entry as intention of leaving the country. It is always easy to change destinations within US, instead of transferring the destination from Canada to US." Is this true?
:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Please either comment on any of the above options or suggest a way out.
Thank you for your time in advance. Have a great day.

goodsam

Sep 7, 2011
As an update, I got another option:

4) "Buy an onward ticket (a flight or bus ticket) to USA and show that as proof to leave." Is this acceptable?

kmuprakash1

Apr 29, 2011
goodsam,

I have a same situation for my parentsand very interested to find out what you did and what option were valid. I'm in Canada and my brother is in the US. Thank you in advance.