+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vaccine flight requirements

nittin96

Mar 13, 2019
Hi guys. I've come to inquire on the new vaccine flight requirements coming to BC Canada. I understand visitors already need a vaccine to come to Canada. But from what I heard it will be a requirement just to get on a plane to leave or enter Canada.

My situation is that I am Canadian citizen traveling with my girlfriend from Italy who qualifies as an extended family member, but we are both unable to get a vaccine for reasons I can not disclose. After checking through and doing a survey on the Canadian government website; it is my understanding that she will be able to leave and enter Canada without a vaccine. So long as it is for essential reasons ( in this case the essential reason would be to reunite/accompany a Canadian citizen as a extended family member) and that she can quarantine and demonstrate that she will be in Canada for more than 15 days. Of course the final decision would be up to the border officers.

Can anyone confirm or add this information?

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys. I've come to inquire on the new vaccine flight requirements coming to BC Canada. I understand visitors already need a vaccine to come to Canada. But from what I heard it will be a requirement just to get on a plane to leave or enter Canada.

My situation is that I am Canadian citizen traveling with my girlfriend from Italy who qualifies as an extended family member, but we are both unable to get a vaccine for reasons I can not disclose. After checking through and doing a survey on the Canadian government website; it is my understanding that she will be able to leave and enter Canada without a vaccine. So long as it is for essential reasons ( in this case the essential reason would be to reunite/accompany a Canadian citizen as a extended family member) and that she can quarantine and demonstrate that she will be in Canada for more than 15 days. Of course the final decision would be up to the border officers.

Thank you
Has your gf been deemed a family member? Not every gf would qualify. Is she common law?

nittin96

Mar 13, 2019
Has your gf been deemed a family member? Not every gf would qualify. Is she common law?
She does qualify as an extended family member because we are "in an exclusive dating relationship, have been in the relationship for at least 1 year and have spent time in the physical presence of that person at some point during the relationship".

Technically we've been together for 3 years but haven't lived together for one year straight to qualify as common law.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She does qualify as an extended family member because we are "in an exclusive dating relationship, have been in the relationship for at least 1 year and have spent time in the physical presence of that person at some point during the relationship".

Technically we've been together for 3 years but haven't lived together for one year straight to qualify as common law.
If you are trying to enter Canada before September 7th unless you have authorization from the Canadian government it is up to the airline to decide whether she can board. Do you currently live together? Can you show a joint lease? Many airlines are not willing to risk determining if you meet the definition. The fact that you are both unvaccinated makes it even more difficult. If she was vaccinated and travelling after Sept 7 then you could fall back on being able to travel as a vaccinated person.

nittin96

Mar 13, 2019
Just to clarify we are
If you are trying to enter Canada before September 7th unless you have authorization from the Canadian government it is up to the airline to decide whether she can board. Do you currently live together? Can you show a joint lease? Many airlines are not willing to risk determining if you meet the definition. The fact that you are both unvaccinated makes it even more difficult. If she was vaccinated and travelling after Sept 7 then you could fall back on being able to travel as a vaccinated person.
Just to clarify we are already in Canada and she has received written permission from the IRCC to enter before we arrived in February. She does qualify to enter into Canada as she is an extended family member. We plan to leave Canada in a month or so and come back next year. But she will qualify as common law in November. My question is regarding whether we can leave BC on a plane unvaccinated and then enter Canada again without a vaccine, for essential reasons. And she would be considered essential as "re-uniting or accompanying a Canadian family member. As far as I know the vaccine mandate will be for non-essential travel.

denker94

Aug 28, 2021

Thank you
If you provide essential services or already qualify for other exemptions from quarantine and Day-8 testing, you don’t need the fully vaccinated traveller exemption. If you think you qualify for other exemptions: find out if your travel is exempt.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just to clarify we are

Just to clarify we are already in Canada and she has received written permission from the IRCC to enter before we arrived in February. She does qualify to enter into Canada as she is an extended family member. We plan to leave Canada in a month or so and come back next year. But she will qualify as common law in November. My question is regarding whether we can leave BC on a plane unvaccinated and then enter Canada again without a vaccine, for essential reasons. And she would be considered essential as "re-uniting or accompanying a Canadian family member. As far as I know the vaccine mandate will be for non-essential travel.
It always depends on the airline. If you don’t have special authorization this time for this tripl it is up to them to determine whether she qualifies to travel. They may be happy with proof from last time. Nobody can guarantee what will happen and how strict the airlines will be about not being vaccinated, determining whether she meets the requirements for entry, etc. If she has been in Canada for such a long period of time she also risks concerns that she is not actually visiting Canada and is living in Canada and that could also create problems entering Canada. Can she provide proof that she has the funds to support herself without working longterm?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We plan to leave Canada in a month or so and come back next year. But she will qualify as common law in November. My question is regarding whether we can leave BC on a plane unvaccinated and then enter Canada again without a vaccine, for essential reasons. And she would be considered essential as "re-uniting or accompanying a Canadian family member. As far as I know the vaccine mandate will be for non-essential travel.
All of these "as far as I know" comments from anyone are right now can only be based on what the rules are now.

The biggest risk you face is that the rules change - e.g. that the vaccine mandate is expanded in future, or the current essential/non-essential treatment changes.

So really, no-one can say right now.

I'd also add that demonstrating common law in November to the satisfaction of eg airline employees might be a challenge - or at least more of a challenge than if you'd been residing together in one location continuously.

Reactions: hinavin

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to clarify we are

There's no definitive answer to this question. It will depend on what the rules are when you return next year. I think it's safe to assume that whatever rules are in place now won't be the same rules that are in place next year - the rules keep evolving.

There has been talk of potentially making vaccinations mandatory for air travel. Whether this will happen or not and what this will mean exactly is impossible for any of us to say.

You'll need to travel and then deal with this question next year once you are ready to return to Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We are in a very fluid situation. If you are unvaccinated you risk getting stuck in Europe if airlines decide they want to make vaccines a requirement of air travel. Anyone risks getting stuck abroad if there is a sudden spike in cases in the country that they are visiting. Unless it is an emergency travel comes with a lot of potential issues. Last week I noticed that every flight coming from Casablanca to Canada was coming in with covid positive people aboard and actually tweeted about it. I saw there is now ban on travel from Morocco to Canada. Things can change very quickly.

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
In case you want to say thank you!
We'd really appreciate and be thankful if you leave a good review on plugin page. This is the best way to say thank you to this project and support team mygiftcardsite.
PLEASE! Do not self promote, in the spirit of this forum and what is aiming to do, this sets unwanted precedence. Thank you!

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
Folks, spotted this, Signed. Its appealing to allow flights from India for those who are fully vaccinated. Ahem...direct flights.

Needs bit more love and attention.

http://chng.it/dLd7GPgYfH

Go on, sign up. P L E A S E.