+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Usage of representative

ramlal

Jun 16, 2016
I am working on my citizenship application and was wondering about the value of using a representative to take care of all issues related to submitting the application and beyond, i.e. if I get an Residence Questionnaire (RQ). I see that the application form is pretty simple so I can totally manage it myself, but I was wondering whether there is ny other benefit of using a representative. For example, does it reduce the chance of getting an RQ as the CIC officer evaluating the application knows that it is supported by professional help; or it is the other way round, i.e. using professional help raises a red flag for tougher scrutiny?

Please share your opinion in this regard.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
ramlal said:
I am working on my citizenship application and was wondering about the value of using a representative to take care of all issues related to submitting the application and beyond, i.e. if I get an Residence Questionnaire (RQ). I see that the application form is pretty simple so I can totally manage it myself, but I was wondering whether there is ny other benefit of using a representative. For example, does it reduce the chance of getting an RQ as the CIC officer evaluating the application knows that it is supported by professional help; or it is the other way round, i.e. using professional help raises a red flag for tougher scrutiny?

Please share your opinion in this regard.
In my opinion, it makes no difference if you use a rep. or not. As you mentioned, the forms are straightforward and I can't imagine what value a consultant or lawyer would add. I feel it's a waste of money, but judging by the number of new immigration consultancies popping up all over the country, I guess many people disagree.

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
completely agree with your assessment. i dont think there is any value in hiring a consultant to help. the qusetions are straight forward. be honest in your responses, provide all that is asked and double check dates before submitting. the instruction manual is very very descriptive if one sits down and reads it completely - i dont think any additional help is required
even if you hire a consultant, they are not going to fill in anything - they will just advise - and you have to fill any ways .. i suggest that for that advise - refer to the manual. take the money you saved and go on a vacation.

i filled both my pr and citizenship application without any rep, you just need to make out the time.

cecapplied
torontosm said:
In my opinion, it makes no difference if you use a rep. or not. As you mentioned, the forms are straightforward and I can't imagine what value a consultant or lawyer would add. I feel it's a waste of money, but judging by the number of new immigration consultancies popping up all over the country, I guess many people disagree.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
The only time a representative is useful is making yourself a representative for your spouse and/or parents. This way you can get information on status of application on behalf of your spouse / parents. Once the application is processed, CIC will not give you any info on your spouse / parents' status. Only on your application only. They will only give related info only to the applicant themselves unless you are assigned as representative.

I realized this during spousal PR sponsorship. Once my wife's PR process reached AIP stage, only my wife can access her file. This is completely fine with me. However what if someone's spouse / parents cannot speak a word of english / french. Language requirement is not required at 65 or older.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramlal said:
using professional help raises a red flag for tougher scrutiny?
Using a representative doesn’t raise any red flags. However as everyone else mentioned doing it yourself would be fine.
If I were you; I would fill the application myself and then take it over to lawyer/consultant to go over it. It doesn’t hurt to have another set of eye.

cecapplied said:
even if you hire a consultant, they are not going to fill in anything - they will just advise - and you have to fill any ways ..
This is not entirely accurate. Depend on which lawyer/consultant you hire.
Some lawyer do give advice. But most of them at least the one I’m using does everything from scratch, you just come in read and sign the forms.

BR

ramlal

Jun 16, 2016
Thanks for all your helpful comments, I think I will use a lawyer to just to go over my application once before I submit it. Spending any more money on this at this point is a waste.

Alias

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
From my personal experience - I had a lawyer help me out through my PR application and citizenship process. It was the same lawyer. The main reason I had hired the lawyer is that I wanted to avoid the necessary headaches with the application process and wanted it to be fool proof. They were very professional and reviewed and updated the forms, etc as required.

Again, hiring a consultant/lawyer is a personal choice as the application can be done on your own.

thanks,