+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA Citizen - Getting 6 Month Pass for Canada

krome

Sep 14, 2013
Hello all, I posted the other day about options to bring my long term girlfriend into Canada and was told that a 6 month pass followed by a 6 month extension is the ideal route to go and then a common law PR application. We want to do this at the end of the month and so I would like to list off my questions so I can organize everything. Any assistance is appreciated. If there is a better route, please advise as we are wanting to live continuously for a one year period so that the sponsorship application can be submitted. The intention is to make that one year time frame so we can submit the appropriate paperwork.

She was a student and obtained a bachelors degree but has not worked for a couple of years since that point. She has no real work experience and is currently renting a place.

1.) If air travel is a viable way into the country with a 6 month stay allowance, should she have a return flight booked for 5-6 months down the road? Or a one way ticket would be fine saying she doesn't know when she intends to travel back.

2.) What should she state is her reasoning for entering the country. Should she state that she wants to tour the country, experience the culture? Or should she mention she is visiting her boyfriend here. The reason I ask is because on the extension I was told and read that it is best to mention something about the common law relationship because when we do finally submit our application, it may backfire if we try to lie about it. I also don't want her saying anything that could have her entry refused because they don't feel she will be leaving in 6 months.

3.) What type of documentation should she be prepared with. All of her family lives in the USA and she could have a letter from her parents stating that she has a place to stay when she goes back. Aside from that, she doesn't have any employment that she is away from or anything. Does she need to have a bank statement? If so, how much money should be in the account. Does it look fine if I wire her a decent sum of money that she deposits into the account so that she can show she has enough money in the account to provide for herself? Should I be writing a letter of invitation myself stating that she has a place to stay here as well as somebody to financially support her? When she enters, does she need to provide an address of where she is staying?

Any detailed advice on the specific documents she should have is greatly appreciated.

4.) Will it be ok for her to bring 3 or 4 bags or will she need to leave those and have them delivered at a different date and just travel with a single bag

5.) Does she ask for a 6 month stay or does she just cross and say that she will be returning within 6 months but is not sure as to when?

6.) How likely is it that this plan of action will work for us? The initial 6 months, followed by the extension application, followed by the common law sponsorship?

If I am missing anything, please let me know. We are taking the chance that we will be able to get the 6 month extension and then apply for a common law sponsorship.

Thank you for all the help and advice. This forum has provided a wealth of information and I wanted to list off my specific questions so we are fully prepared for the end of the month.

krome

Sep 14, 2013
Post was updated as I have read a few more things in depth. The remaining questions I am having trouble finding answers too.

Assistance is greatfully appreciated. Thank you

krome

Sep 14, 2013
Please help if possible as we are very concerned about being ill prepared. Ive been going through the forum steadily for the past few days reading every little bit of information I can find.

She does not have any employment or recent employment history (years). I called Can. Border and they said that could be a problem with regards to obtaining a six month stay.

Also she does not have much money. I would have to wire her money to her bank account which would show up as a large recent deposit on the bank statement she brings as she would be making the trip in two weeks.

Thanks!