Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-08-2013
Just saw this blog post stated: Why US Citizens living in Canada should be Concerned http://canadianlegacybuilder.ca/us_citizens_living_in_canada

It basically says
U.S. Citizens and those married or in a common law relationship with a U.S. Citizen should stay away from any Canadian investment plans and make sure you get advice from a professional who has international planning experience. Although an RRSP is a “Foreign Trust”, they are covered by special arrangements. First, the IRS does not require the 3520 for RRSPs but Form 8891 is required every year to ensure that the income from your RRSP does not have to be included on your U.S. tax return. The news does get worse if we were to look at Canadian mutual funds and home ownership.

Oh and by the way, beginning January 1, 2014, the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act will require Banks, Insurance Companies, Investment Firms and Credit Unions to collect and report certain information on accounts held by U.S. persons to the IRS.
So are we all as doomed financially as this posts makes out?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
tinytortoise said:
Just saw this blog post stated: Why US Citizens living in Canada should be Concerned http://canadianlegacybuilder.ca/us_citizens_living_in_canada

It basically says
I figured we'd all get taxed to death anyway, no matter which country we picked!

tinytortoise

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
Houston, Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2013
AOR Received.
06-02-2013
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-08-2013
I just want to know if it's true there are large consequences from the IRS if you establish a retirement fund or buy a house because I want to do both while a Canadian PR and hopefully one day, citizen. And there is no way I would ever give up my US citizenship. This blog post sounds so dire.

lunas

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/07/2012
AOR Received.
11/07/2012
Med's Done....
8/15/2012
Passport Req..
03/14/2013
LANDED..........
04/19/2013
Yikes, any tips on how to partially hide from IRS? :-\

lunas

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/07/2012
AOR Received.
11/07/2012
Med's Done....
8/15/2012
Passport Req..
03/14/2013
LANDED..........
04/19/2013
tinytortoise said:
I just want to know if it's true there are large consequences from the IRS if you establish a retirement fund or buy a house because I want to do both while a Canadian PR and hopefully one day, citizen. And there is no way I would ever give up my US citizenship. This blog post sounds so dire.
I plan to do both too! If its true we are getting punished for living abroad!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
lunas said:
Yikes, any tips on how to partially hide from IRS? :-\
Hide in a hole? :p

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
tinytortoise said:
The problem with these forms (3520 and 3520-a for trust accounts, for example) is that the penalties for not filing them are onerous - like $10,000 each year. There should not be a problem owning real estate in Canada, but there are new financial asset reporting requirements. Congress finds it easy to villify ex-pats as tax dodgers, though Mitt Romney really proved there's no reason to leave the US - you can avoid paying taxes legally and still stay in the US.

What's frustrating about these forms is that they generally don't involve much (if any) money. For example, a TFSA is not taxable in Canada but it is taxable in the US. If your combined Canadian tax rate is higher than your US tax rate, you'll find that even though the TFSA is "taxable" in the US, the foreign tax credit income exclusion will cover it for most people, so you wont owe anything to the US. But you have to fill out the 3520 AND 3520-A (since your bank probably won't complete the latter) and that's ten pages added to your tax return.

Oh, and forget about filing electronically.

Further, if you DO have to pay US tax, Canada will then give you a tax credit for it to offset your Canadian taxes. The whole thing is a bit crazy...

There is one small ray of sunshine: if you are outside the US on tax day (April 16 this year) you have two additional months to file your return - so it's due in mid-June.

lawgrrl

Star Member
Jul 8, 2012
Nanaimo, B.C.
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
11-14-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-22-2013
tinytortoise said:

It basically says
I think you need to read down to the end of the post: "Oh and by the way, beginning January 1, 2014, the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act will require Banks, Insurance Companies, Investment Firms and Credit Unions to collect and report certain information on accounts held by U.S. persons to the IRS. Thankfully there are experts who can help guide you through what needs to be accomplished. Interested in finding out more? Contact us today!" Methinks that Mr. Guelph, whose blog is all about "being a good ancestor" by "leaving a legacy" (i.e., making pots of money and giving it to charity) is shilling for one of the MANY "cross-border financial consultants" out there. Most of the ones I've contacted don't want to be bothered if your net worth is under $1 million (either US or CDN $$). The fact of the matter is that the US taxes all citizens, regardless of where they reside, but the US-Canada Tax Treaty allows one to offset taxes owed the US against what's owed Revenue Canada. Don't hide--don't panic--find a good accountant! 8)

tinytortoise

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
Houston, Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-01-2013
AOR Received.
06-02-2013
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-08-2013
My mom said just do what her parents and my father's parents did (all immigrants to the US)... keep the money under your mattress. LOL :p

libellula

Jan 18, 2013
computergeek said:
Seattle is not closed. Files from CPP-O may be referred to NYC, Detroit, Seattle or LA. Typically this happens for cases that require special handling, such as an interview.
Hello computergeek!
On the site of this forum,they announced in February,that the Seattle office and the Detroit office were closed.

"Detroit Visa Office to Close Monday, 18 February 2013 Category Other topics"
The Visa Office at the Canadian Consulate in Detroit has been closed. Its services have now been transferred to the New York City and Los Angeles Visa Offices.

"Effective January 29th, 2013, a number of changes have been made to Canadian visa offices in the United States. These changes have been made by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) with the intent to better expedite the processing of applications for Canadian temporary and permanent residency.

As part of the overall restructuring, the Canadian visa offices in Seattle and Detroit will be closed, and their files will be transferred to other offices in North America. In addition, the Canadian Embassy in Washington, D.C. will no longer be processing applications for Temporary Resident Permits, Rehabilitation, and Authority to Return to Canada. These will now be processed in either New York City or Los Angeles."

libellula

Jan 18, 2013
Seattle office closed

Hello again-
Oops,didnt read far enough down to see that someone had already informed you on the Seattle situation!
Need another coffee! Up till 2 in the morning doing taxes! ha ha!
sorry....

leodr

Feb 15, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I tried sending email to LA visa office once yesterday and twice today and got the same delivery failure message from
postmaster @ international.gc.ca

The message was:
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

re-los-angeles-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

I even tried case specific enquiry and got the same message. Anyone getting same message. Thanks.

Didi87

Jan 31, 2013
I just wanted to thank you all for your help and advice throughout this long and sometimes frustrating process.

My husband received his COPR a few days ago and will be landing on Sunday! :D

It's great to see how willing people are to take the time to offer advice and write out responses to specific problems. I am truly thankful.
All the best to those still waiting to hear good news!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
leodr said:
I tried sending email to LA visa office once yesterday and twice today and got the same delivery failure message from
postmaster @ international.gc.ca

The message was:
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

re-los-angeles-im-enquiry @ international.gc.ca

I even tried case specific enquiry and got the same message. Anyone getting same message. Thanks.
Why is re- in front of it? It's just los-angeles-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca