Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2016
LANDED..........
28-02-2017
I received DM about 10 days ago so I'm expecting my COPR in the mail in a bit. My COPR will expire March 13, 2017.

My question is this: we have had some things come up in the past week that will likely require us to stay here in the US for longer than my COPR is valid. Do I have any options at all? How does the residency requirement of living in Canada 2 out of 5 years work? Can I "land" as a PR before next March and then delay actually moving north until we have our stuff resolved? ANY insight at all would be much appreciated. We really don't want to forfeit our PR and hope there is something that can make it work out.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
julies879 said:
I received DM about 10 days ago so I'm expecting my COPR in the mail in a bit. My COPR will expire March 13, 2017.

My question is this: we have had some things come up in the past week that will likely require us to stay here in the US for longer than my COPR is valid. Do I have any options at all? How does the residency requirement of living in Canada 2 out of 5 years work? Can I "land" as a PR before next March and then delay actually moving north until we have our stuff resolved? ANY insight at all would be much appreciated. We really don't want to forfeit our PR and hope there is something that can make it work out.
The short answer is yes. However, if the CBSA agent suspects that you aren't ready to permanently settle when you land, then they may refuse to land you, so I would be careful with being upfront about this.

julies879

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
Doc's Request.
17-05-2016, sent same day
AOR Received.
27-04-2016
File Transfer...
16-05-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-03-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2016
LANDED..........
28-02-2017
Decoy24601 said:
The short answer is yes. However, if the CBSA agent suspects that you aren't ready to permanently settle when you land, then they may refuse to land you, so I would be careful with being upfront about this.
Thanks! What's the long answer? ;)

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
julies879 said:
Thanks! What's the long answer? ;)
The rest of what I said besides "yes" ;). It's doubtful that you would have any issues with what you're planning, but it's something to keep in mind.

julies879

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
Doc's Request.
17-05-2016, sent same day
AOR Received.
27-04-2016
File Transfer...
16-05-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-03-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2016
LANDED..........
28-02-2017
Decoy24601 said:
The rest of what I said besides "yes" ;). It's doubtful that you would have any issues with what you're planning, but it's something to keep in mind.
Things are still up in the air so it might not be an issue at all.

How would it work with importing goods down the road? If I filled out a goods to follow form, would it still be valid even if my COPR expiration date has passed?

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
SeaVan said:
Thanks for the clarification!
Not sure if the rules have changed in a month but...If your bringing a US car into Canada you have to present your car to US customs at least 72 hours before ...You now have to use a broker to get the EIN to get an ITN from IRS...once you get that then you advise US customs as to when you are bringing the car to them and they will tell you if its ok...FYI at Pacific Crossing they are only open 8am to 330 pm Monday thru Friday...We raced to get there and made it at 2:15 pm on Friday!!!!..It sounds so complicated but once you get the EIN and ITN all is good! Oh yeah...Money Money Money ( not a lot but everyone takes "not a lot")...as long as you sing that song your good!!!

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
julies879 said:
Things are still up in the air so it might not be an issue at all.

How would it work with importing goods down the road? If I filled out a goods to follow form, would it still be valid even if my COPR expiration date has passed?
I believe that all you need is the B4 form. They changed the form and renamed it to where it's the same for the original landing list and the goods to follow (a separate copy for each). I'm not sure if there is a limit for how long you have to "settle" with all your goods, but I think there may be one. I will try to look this up since I'm curious about this as well.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Decoy24601 said:
I'm not sure if there is a limit for how long you have to "settle" with all your goods, but I think there may be one.
i asked this question at landing, as as far as the CBSA officers knew, there is no time limit for bringing things in that are listed on the B4. I mentioned i had heard there was a 10 year limit, and they said they were unaware of any time limit.

linabuch

Apr 28, 2016
julies879 said:

I was wondering the same thing... Just received my COPR in the mail yesterday. We want to visit in August, then officially land in maybe Sept or Oct. I wonder about my personal belongings... if I did have to officially land in August, but we moved in Sept would I still not have to pay duty on my car, etc. I don't want to mess up the tax situation.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
linabuch said:
I was wondering the same thing... Just received my COPR in the mail yesterday. We want to visit in August, then officially land in maybe Sept or Oct. I wonder about my personal belongings... if I did have to officially land in August, but we moved in Sept would I still not have to pay duty on my car, etc. I don't want to mess up the tax situation.
the only rule is you have to land by the expiration date listed on the COPR. If you want to come to canada to visit before you're ready to land, then you just leave your COPR at home. It is doubtful CBSA will even question you, if they do, just explain and they will be fine with it.

If you have stuff already in canada before you land, then you really don't need to bother with declaring them on a B4 - only the goods you plan to bring with you at landing and after.

No matter when you bring your car to canada, it MUST be on the B4 form you present at landing. if it's not on your B4 form (goods with you OR goods to follow), then you are subject to paying taxes when you import it. There is a whole import process that must be followed to legally be able to insure and register your car in canada.

fleuredeflorida

Jan 23, 2016
We just submitted our application for PR this morning via FedEx. My wife is Canadian, I am a US citizen. We sent off 104 pages total. Now to figure out how to not spend the next several months obsessing over whether everything is correct and we provided enough documentation.... ???

Is there still a spreadsheet for US outland applicants? Can someone link that here again? I thought I had seen one before but can't seem to find the link.

Also, is there a place where the steps after submission of an application are listed? I've sort of picked up on some of the terms and acronyms but it would be really helpful to see what to expect now. For example, will I get an email or some sort of confirmation that the application as been received and is being processed? I see folks talking about ECAS...does CIC email you the client number so you can check? Any information from folks who have been through this so far would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm hopeful the recent spate of posts regarding the speedy processing means we'll have good news sooner rather than later! I am currently visiting my wife and my six months will run out in early October, and it would be a dream to get COPR before then although I know it's a long shot.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
My PA side started showing "in process" around midnight PST. I hope I see DM soon ;D.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
fleuredeflorida said:
We just submitted our application for PR this morning via FedEx. My wife is Canadian, I am a US citizen. We sent off 104 pages total. Now to figure out how to not spend the next several months obsessing over whether everything is correct and we provided enough documentation.... ???
I wouldn't be too concerned about "enough information". US citizens really have a low threshold for approval. 104 pages seems pretty good (i think mine was 90-something and there weren't any requests for additional info - it's more about quality than quantity for us applicants).

fleuredeflorida said:
Is there still a spreadsheet for US outland applicants? Can someone link that here again? I thought I had seen one before but can't seem to find the link.
i'm not sure about this, so maybe someone will post it if it's still available. i haven't seen a spreadsheet since i went through in 2014, so the one i have won't be helpful to you.

fleuredeflorida said:
Also, is there a place where the steps after submission of an application are listed? I've sort of picked up on some of the terms and acronyms but it would be really helpful to see what to expect now. For example, will I get an email or some sort of confirmation that the application as been received and is being processed? I see folks talking about ECAS...does CIC email you the client number so you can check? Any information from folks who have been through this so far would be greatly appreciated!!
not really, though you can go to the very first thread and post by LEON. even though it's outdated, it does give a good breakdown. There is also a thread somewhere (maybe on a different board?) with all the acronym definitions. I would recommend checking in on the applicant thread for the month you submitted your application, so you can see when others are getting notified by CIC.

basically how it goes is like this:
AOR (acknowledgement of receipt) - sponsor will receive this by email when CIC opens the package and confirms it's complete. This is taking 2-4 weeks right now i believe. This will have the SPONSOR'S UCI(Unique Client Identifier) and file number (which is shared with the applicant).

SA (sponsor approval) - sponsor will receive this either by email or snail mail (CIC likes to switch it up) to confirm approval. It will also provide information about what visa office the applicant's application will be processed at (for us citizens it's usually ottawa). The applicant's application is internally transferred. This is taking anywhere between 30 and 60 days right now. If the medical results and police clearance were not sent in upfront, instructions would be provided in this letter for sending it to the visa office.

ECAS - the electronic system for checking in on your application. Keep in mind, this is NOT an accurate source for finding out what's going on with your file. generally, the information in ECAS is updated AFTER you've already been notified by CIC. You may not be able to log in until AFTER SA.
- In Process - means application has been picked up for processing
- Decision Made (DM) - means the application has been approved (unless there was an interview or document requests were ignored) and the COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) has been mailed.

PPR (passport request) - applicant will receive an email from CIC requesting a copy of their passport and if the Right of Permanent Residency (RPRF)fee wasn't paid, it will be requested at this time too. This is the last step before finalization and it's assumed the interview is waived and the application is approved. CIC wouldn't send for these if not approved for visa processing. Keep in mind, not everyone gets PPR. If the applicant is a male or has already changed their name to their sponsors, this is when PPR is generally waived, ECAS is changed to DM and the COPR is in the mail.

COPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence - this is the approval letter that must be presented at landing. CIC will mail this through regular mail to the APPLICANT'S address that is listed in the applicaiton. There will be an expiration date on it and the applicant must land before then. Usually the expiration date is the same as the medical expiration date, unless it was extended by CIC to help the person land.

fleuredeflorida said:
I'm hopeful the recent spate of posts regarding the speedy processing means we'll have good news sooner rather than later! I am currently visiting my wife and my six months will run out in early October, and it would be a dream to get COPR before then although I know it's a long shot.
the way processing is going these days, it may just happen! Otherwise, you can just apply online to extend your stay and you won't have to leave.

sarahchester

Sep 30, 2014
Hello, I am an American citizen and my hubby is a Canadian citizen. I applied for PR the first time in Nov 2015. My application was sent back to me stating that they did not receive my IMM 5669. I am a very OCD and meticulous woman. I went that package 6 times to make sure everything was there. We re-applied for PR and it was received on January 19, 2016. We received confirmation that they had our application and began processing it. On April 20, 2016 I received an email stating that they needed my youngest daughter's medical completed by May 20, 2016. I made sure that I sent in my divorce decree and custody decree (same file ) with my application so that there would be zero problems. I also sent in a letter stating that my youngest would not be immigrating with us to Canada per her father's request. Now they are asking for all of these documents again as if I had never sent them. I got in contact with my local MP office and they were able to make some headway with the Ottawa office. I completely understand why the government of Canada is needing this information. I just do not understand why they did not just look over what I had given them the first time around. This time I am having the MP's office send all of the files to prevent them from saying they are not receiving them. My husband and I are going on 3 years of visitor's visa's and at 300 dollars a pop on one income is proving to be quite the battle. I was told by my MP's office that now we are looking at my DM not happening till after we have to file for a visitor's visa again. If there is anyone out there that can give me advice on how to handle this situation I would be ever so grateful. I know that other's are getting there PR completed in less then 3 months and it is driving me crazy, that I have had so many problems.

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
sarahchester said:
Hello, I am an American citizen and my hubby is a Canadian citizen. I applied for PR the first time in Nov 2015. My application was sent back to me stating that they did not receive my IMM 5669. I am a very OCD and meticulous woman. I went that package 6 times to make sure everything was there. We re-applied for PR and it was received on January 19, 2016. We received confirmation that they had our application and began processing it. On April 20, 2016 I received an email stating that they needed my youngest daughter's medical completed by May 20, 2016. I made sure that I sent in my divorce decree and custody decree (same file ) with my application so that there would be zero problems. I also sent in a letter stating that my youngest would not be immigrating with us to Canada per her father's request. Now they are asking for all of these documents again as if I had never sent them. I got in contact with my local MP office and they were able to make some headway with the Ottawa office. I completely understand why the government of Canada is needing this information. I just do not understand why they did not just look over what I had given them the first time around. This time I am having the MP's office send all of the files to prevent them from saying they are not receiving them. My husband and I are going on 3 years of visitor's visa's and at 300 dollars a pop on one income is proving to be quite the battle. I was told by my MP's office that now we are looking at my DM not happening till after we have to file for a visitor's visa again. If there is anyone out there that can give me advice on how to handle this situation I would be ever so grateful. I know that other's are getting there PR completed in less then 3 months and it is driving me crazy, that I have had so many problems.
What's costing you $300? Visitor extension is only $100, isn't it?