04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015
saria1 said:
I doubt it will be. I'm sure with an increase of a month and a half, there will be an increase on the overall time. I'm wondering if the slow up in Mississauga is also going to flow over to the VO's office, if it's due to an increase in applications. Only time is really going to tell. I'm crossing my fingers that ours will be done by the end of June or mid July.
:eek: probably because they had staff cuts at CIC, i was reading online since Harper has been PM, he has steadily been cutting jobs at the CIC which is probably causing the backlog, i read somwhere on this site last year around this time AOR/SA was only 28 days!

EmSNYC

Star Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-12-2014
AOR Received.
25-02-2015
File Transfer...
02-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
25-07-2014
Truth is, we can only guess but we really don't know what's happening. I noticed one thing though: every time I submit something the timeline increases, it happened for the FBI certificate, now with this. :(

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
jamsham12 said:
:eek: probably because they had staff cuts at CIC, i was reading online since Harper has been PM, he has steadily been cutting jobs at the CIC which is probably causing the backlog, i read somwhere on this site last year around this time AOR/SA was only 28 days!
and total processing this time last year was also 8-10 months AND longer. so just because SA takes longer, doesn't mean the visa office will. they are 2 different offices with different workers. It wasn't until March/April 2014 applicants that the process was UNDER 8 months. if you look back at late 2013 and early 2014 applicants, you will see a dramatic difference in total processing. one of the reasons things sped up this summer is because US and Canada increased the amount of information shared with each other. The total processing time right now is still better than this time last year, when then entire process is counted, not just SA. it is no secret processing time changes throughout the year. right now, it looks like 7 will be the new "average". could it go BACK UP to 8-10 that those from last year saw? sure! Could it go back down to 5-6 like this summer? absolutely. no one is going to be able to say for sure what will happen until it actually happens. Right now, the "average" is better than last year, so at this point, anything under 16 months (the posted processing time) is good.

jamsham12

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/19/2015
AOR Received.
03/16/2015
File Transfer...
04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015
Lets pray, before the calgary stampede Ill be in Canada as a PR. loool 8)

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
EmSNYC said:
Truth is, we can only guess but we really don't know what's happening. I noticed one thing though: every time I submit something the timeline increases, it happened for the FBI certificate, now with this. :(
So now we know that you are the one to blame! 8)

Roni07

Star Member
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/01/2015
AOR Received.
12/03/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
N/A
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2015
submitted paperwork to sponsor my US wife. now she's worried that she'll be flagged and CDN immigration might give ber a hard time or deny access ehen she comes to visit me in CDN. can they deny her entry? would a letter ftom a lawyer help? what should we do?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Roni07 said:
submitted paperwork to sponsor my US wife. now she's worried that she'll be flagged and CDN immigration might give ber a hard time or deny access ehen she comes to visit me in CDN. can they deny her entry? would a letter ftom a lawyer help? what should we do?
Why are you worried? The average US citizen get the most slack from CBSA when trying to visit Canada. Many US citizens visit their spouse/partner in Canada have no problems. My wife visited me many times before and after the sponsorship application was sent in.

The key thing is to NOT show up with a U-Haul at the border (if driving) or with tons of luggage (if flying). That will make it look like to CBSA that she is jumping the gun and planning to move and live in Canada before her application is done and that is bad. If she is flying, CBSA likes people who already have a return ticket purchased to leave Canada. That is the only thing my wife was ever asked to show when she came to visit me. And I think they didn't even really ask to see the ticket, they just asked her when her return trip is and she just told them and that was it.

Just be honest and calm to CBSA, do not show up with tons of luggage, and have at least a clear plan to tell an officer when you intend to leave. There should be no issues. CBSA (and CIC) is pretty used to this.

monstergirly

Star Member
Apr 6, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2015
AOR Received.
20-03-2015
File Transfer...
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2015
LANDED..........
29-06-2015
My husband and I are moving up there from NYC at the end of March - just submitted my application to the CPC and it was delivered on Friday (the 16th). Eeek!

We've been married since 2008 and have two boys (who I got Canadian citizenship certificates for already) - not sure if this will make things easier for me...

We have already signed a lease on an apartment we will be renting from my husband's father. We haven't decided on doing U-Haul or hiring a mover - if there is a best way to do this I would love to know. I was thinking my husband would drive the truck and I would take a rental car with the kids and enter as a visitor.

Any advice is appreciated on getting there, etc.

Thanks!

VAtoBC

Star Member
Jul 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2014
Doc's Request.
29-05-2015
File Transfer...
21-01-2015
Med's Done....
25-09-2014
Seeking clarification on how long I can stay in the USA with my spouse while we await CIC decision for her PR status in Canada. I''m aware of the IRS 183-day formula over a period of 3 years. Do we make the calculation by calendar year, or by counting 3 years back in time from today's date? Do I have to count every day I spent an hour shopping in the USA as a full day? (My home in Canada is right on the border, and I have a US mailbox address.) I had planned to stay for a total of 5 months from last Nov. until the end of March, but plan to return to help pack for our cross-continent drive with all her belongings and our pets. I don't want to trigger the possibility of US border control denying me entry for the next 10 years if I exceed the length of stay limits. Thanks for any help clarifying my confusion.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
monstergirly said:
My husband and I are moving up there from NYC at the end of March - just submitted my application to the CPC and it was delivered on Friday (the 16th). Eeek!

We've been married since 2008 and have two boys (who I got Canadian citizenship certificates for already) - not sure if this will make things easier for me...

We have already signed a lease on an apartment we will be renting from my husband's father. We haven't decided on doing U-Haul or hiring a mover - if there is a best way to do this I would love to know. I was thinking my husband would drive the truck and I would take a rental car with the kids and enter as a visitor.

Any advice is appreciated on getting there, etc.

Thanks!
Your case is a bit different than the OP since you have been married and living with your spouse for awhile in the US. But yes, it is ideal that your husband drives the U-Haul and claims most of the stuff (especiall all the big stuff like furniture and appliances as his (which it is) while you follow in the rental with the kids and tell border officials that you would like to visit Canada and stay with your husband/kids while you wait for sponsorship. I'm pretty sure you will have no issue as others have done this before where the Canadian spouse is relocating to Canada with all the stuff and the US spouse is coming along to visit while waiting out the application process.

Hopefully others who have done this can chime in on their experiences and advice.

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
keesio said:
Your case is a bit different than the OP since you have been married and living with your spouse for awhile in the US. But yes, it is ideal that your husband drives the U-Haul and claims most of the stuff (especiall all the big stuff like furniture and appliances as his (which it is) while you follow in the rental with the kids and tell border officials that you would like to visit Canada and stay with your husband/kids while you wait for sponsorship. I'm pretty sure you will have no issue as others have done this before where the Canadian spouse is relocating to Canada with all the stuff and the US spouse is coming along to visit while waiting out the application process.

Hopefully others who have done this can chime in on their experiences and advice.
I'm about to do this in 11 days. Will be driving a moving truck across the border while wifey drives the family car with a suitcase in the back. We still have ties to the U.S. - bank account, house, investments, etc - but I'm moving 99% of our things to make life a little simpler and she's visiting to help us me get settled, etc. She gets nervous easily and I'm trying to give her clear concise answers for questions she's likely to get when she crosses. If anybody has input, it's welcome as always.

Panamai

Oct 3, 2013
Kingston, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
28-03-2015
File Transfer...
31-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
Wait, so I will need an employer ID number to export my car? But I don't own a business.. I looked it up on the IRS website and I don't meet any of the qualifications for receiving an EIN. I'm confused. Here is what it says under "do I need an EIN number?"

"Do you have employees? YES NO
Do you operate your business as a corporation or a partnership? YES NO
Do you file any of these tax returns: Employment, Excise, or Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms? YES NO
Do you withhold taxes on income, other than wages, paid to a non-resident alien? YES NO
Do you have a Keogh plan? YES NO
Are you involved with any of the following types of organizations?

Trusts, except certain grantor-owned revocable trusts, IRAs, Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Returns
Estates
Real estate mortgage investment conduits
Non-profit organizations
Farmers' cooperatives
Plan administrators

YES NO"

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Panamai said:
Wait, so I will need an employer ID number to export my car? But I don't own a business.. I looked it up on the IRS website and I don't meet any of the qualifications for receiving an EIN. I'm confused. Here is what it says under "do I need an EIN number?"

Do you file any of these tax returns: Employment, Excise, or Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms? YES NO
Do you withhold taxes on income, other than wages, paid to a non-resident alien? YES NO

Trusts, except certain grantor-owned revocable trusts, IRAs, Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Returns
Estates
Non-profit organizations
Farmers' cooperatives
Plan administrators

YES NO"
you don't need to own a business to get an EIN. if you are signing up online, and it asks for a business name, then you just use your full name. if you can't figure out the application online, then call the IRS and get it done over the phone. it's very easy to do and takes very little time to get it. yes, it's needed to initiate an export, even if using a broker to get the ITN#.

Someone recently posted in the settlement board about using Fedex to initiate the export without the use of an EIN. It is on one of the threads about exporting a car.

Panamai

Oct 3, 2013
Kingston, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
28-03-2015
File Transfer...
31-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
Thank you! I'll give it a try.

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
Panamai said:

Estates
Non-profit organizations
Farmers' cooperatives
Plan administrators

YES NO"
Yes. Get an EIN. I have two...maybe four or more...check the limits on the number of EINs you can request in a DAY and you'll realize getting one is no big deal. There must be people thing hundreds of them based on the daily limits.

Now, I don't know about the idea of FedEx helping out with your export. I mentioned on a thread a while back about a company that in San Diego that charges $60 to upload export details to AES Direct. Someone PMed me a few weeks to say the company wasn't doing it anymore, but I called the company (it's getting close to that time for me) and confirmed they are STILL uploading AES exports for $60 (I think he quoted me at $62USD, whatever).

Ignore all the IRS mumbo-jumbo and enter the data you have to to get the EIN.

Here's a list of the details the exporter needs for entry into AES Direct:

AES Requirements

U.S. Border Crossing:

Date of Crossing:

How Crossing Border:

Pick up address in U.S.:

First & Last Name

Address

City

State

Zip Code

Phone