Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
chala said:
Well for some folks, as an alternative they may consider selling their vehicle in the USA and buying one in Canada after landing. It appears that the price of vehicles may be cheaper in Canada than in the USA ( at least for the used vehicle market).
I just finished paying off a $40,000 SUV. Me selling it in the USA for pennies and buying a new car in Canada just to get into more debt would be the biggest mistake of my life.

I actually just got my EIN# from the IRS today. I called the port and will go in person to initiate the export 72 hours before fill out all paperwork etc. I will have to figure this all out because I refuse to sell my car!

oconnoec

Star Member
Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Medical
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
July 16, 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
April 13, 2014
LANDED..........
Already in canada on temp work visa... hopefully PR landing soon!
Mariac819 said:
I just finished paying off a $40,000 SUV. Me selling it in the USA for pennies and buying a new car in Canada just to get into more debt would be the biggest mistake of my life.

I actually just got my EIN# from the IRS today. I called the port and will go in person to initiate the export 72 hours before fill out all paperwork etc. I will have to figure this all out because I refuse to sell my car!
I don't think any of this is true for importing your car from the US.

I just called RIV, Canadian Border Agency, and US Custom and Border patrol and they all told me that I only needed to submit a copy of my original title to the US border patrol at least 72hrs before I plan to export the vehicle- they said I did not need an export # through AES online. Prior to me calling both border patrols and the RIV, i went to the AES website and attempted to register and see how the process worked, but I was unable to create a login since they require a COMPANY address and tax ID. I am under the impression that AES # is only for exporting cars for sale and not for immigration purposes. The second guy I talked to at RIV told me I did need the AES #, but I'm pretty sure he was confused because he wasn't listening when I told him that I was immigrating and not trying to export for sale.

Also, I asked two friends of mine who are Canadians- one owns a dealership and the other one works in car sales and imports/exports and the both said we do not need an AES number. They import cars from the US often, so I trust their confirmation of what I found out tonight.

Thought I would pass what I found out along! It seems there is a lot of confusing information about what we have to do- and it actually seems like an easier process. Just more forms :'( as if we haven't filled out enough forms!

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think we need the AES number according to my research.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
oconnoec said:

I just called RIV, Canadian Border Agency, and US Custom and Border patrol and they all told me that I only needed to submit a copy of my original title to the US border patrol at least 72hrs before I plan to export the vehicle- they said I did not need an export # through AES online. Prior to me calling both border patrols and the RIV, i went to the AES website and attempted to register and see how the process worked, but I was unable to create a login since they require a COMPANY address and tax ID. I am under the impression that AES # is only for exporting cars for sale and not for immigration purposes. The second guy I talked to at RIV told me I did need the AES #, but I'm pretty sure he was confused because he wasn't listening when I told him that I was immigrating and not trying to export for sale.

Also, I asked two friends of mine who are Canadians- one owns a dealership and the other one works in car sales and imports/exports and the both said we do not need an AES number. They import cars from the US often, so I trust their confirmation of what I found out tonight.

Thought I would pass what I found out along! It seems there is a lot of confusing information about what we have to do- and it actually seems like an easier process. Just more forms :'( as if we haven't filled out enough forms!

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think we need the AES number according to my research.
this is as of October 2, 2014, so it's very new. i'd encourage you to call the border again now, and ask them what's needed. When i called alexandra bay THIS WEEK to confirm what is needed, i was told borders can NOT accept accept paperwork without an ITN# which is ONLY possible to get when an export is initiated through AES. Yes, the system seems to be for commercial use only, but then when you call to enquire, the regulations census number will confirm it doesn't matter. you must sign up for an EIN# with the IRS and use your name as a business name.

I am not the only person to encounter this issue this past week. Mariac has confirmed this, there is a thread on the settlement board by a guy who notified us of the change and the issues he had with the export, and there is another person outside this forum going through the process.

If your information is PRE-October 2, then, you need to call again. the rules have changed.

Also, the RIV and CBSA have nothing to do with this. This is about EXPORTING A car from the US. The RIV deal with importing cars to Canada. They don't regulate US exports. you really need to call your US customs and border patrol and get the right info. otherwise, you are in for a major headache if you attempt to send paperwork without an ITN#. The export will not be accepted or processed. I am shocked someone from an EXPORT office at a US border office told you this isn't necessary, either you didn't talk to the right department or they are sadly giving out misinformation.

see the updated regulation here:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1736/kw/vehicle%20export

good luck with your export. if you find this information to be false after successfully exporting post oct 2, please do let us know.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
oconnoec said:
I, like yourself, had done all my research and thought I was ready for my export process. Thankfully RH brought this to my attention. Like she mentioned it is fairly new. Just since Oct 2nd.

I did a lot of research / phone calls etc today. I called the IRS / AES (email / phone) / I called my export port in the USA. They all confirmed I need to go through AES. The person I spoke to at the port was "unsure" but said he thinks so. I am going to say YES. 2.5 out of 3 says yes lol.. I also got this email from AES

Getting the EIN# was actually a lot easier than I thought. I haven't tackled the AES system yet though! lol... one step at a time! :) :)

Good Morning,

You must file in AES for a vehicle regardless of value and regardless if the vehicle is for private use or commercial or if it is a gift. In order to export goods to another country you must complete the following steps.

This option is only if you are a U.S .Citizen and have a U.S. address.

1. Go to the IRS website and apply for an EIN. Click APPLY ONLINE NOW at the bottom. Note: You must have a SS# in order to apply for an EIN or you must do the Authorized Agent option below.
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-Number-%28EIN%29-Online

2. Once you receive your EIN. Go to the AES website and click on "Registration Help" on the left hand side. This will lead you through the registration process. http://aesdirect.census.gov/ The questions will appear to be geared towards being a business, but once you have your EIN you may file as an individual.

You will need to:
Submit Registration Form
Review, Verify, and Confirm Information Submitted
Create Username and Password
Download User Guide/Sample Shipment
Take Certification Quiz
The complete registration process can be lengthy, feel free to give us a call at 1.800.549.0595 option 1 to provide guidance.

Your other option, and ONLY option if you are a Non-U.S. Citizen is for a fee, a Freight Forwarder or Authorized Agent can facilitate the movement of the cargo from the United States to the foreign destination and/or prepare and file the required documentation.

If you go to http://www.ncbfaa.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/index.html

1. Click the Membership tab
2. Click Find Members
3. Click Membership Directory
4. You can then search by state and pick anyone listed

Thank you,
AES Client Support
International Trade Management Division/Data Collection Branch
U.S. Census Bureau

Call Center: 800-549-0595 Option 1
census.gov
aesdirect.gov

Free Training Videos youtube.com/uscensusbureau
Check out our Blog: globalreach.blogs.census.gov/ [\quote]

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Hmmmm this is really reassuring, that it's not so difficult to import a car for Immigration as it was sounding :X as long as it's easy to get all the paperwork and the EIN#... I don't mind. I'm sure it's nothing compared to the rest of this whole Immigration Process lol

Even though I only spent $2,000 on my '97 5-speed Civic years and years ago, she's never needed a repair, never had a single issue, and still gives me 40 mpg freeway! I am not sure I could bare to part with and sell my baby so soon when she's still got another 200k miles to give me, I hope!! ^_^ Haha (at least, that's the plan!!)

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Sooooo ready for this to be done with and over with. I've been pretty adamant about waiting to move up to Vancouver until the Application process is done, but my partner is now suggesting I should come up sooner.. I don't know. I'm starting to lean more and more towards finishing this application process in Canada. Blegh, I don't know. I have a dog and 2 rattie girls I'd have to sneak over, but I could just throw my belongings and crap in a storage shed. I'm just more worried about not being able to work until it's done, having less money and/or getting stir crazy being stuck at home all the time until it's done. But, I don't know how strong I feel to finish this down here by myself. Tough decisions will be made soon... Thanks for letting me vent, ya'll.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
Amalthea said:
Sooooo ready for this to be done with and over with. I've been pretty adamant about waiting to move up to Vancouver until the Application process is done, but my partner is now suggesting I should come up sooner.. I don't know. I'm starting to lean more and more towards finishing this application process in Canada. Blegh, I don't know. I have a dog and 2 rattie girls I'd have to sneak over, but I could just throw my belongings and crap in a storage shed. I'm just more worried about not being able to work until it's done, having less money and/or getting stir crazy being stuck at home all the time until it's done. But, I don't know how strong I feel to finish this down here by myself. Tough decisions will be made soon... Thanks for letting me vent, ya'll.
We just got SA! I'm packing my clothes, shoes, pocketbooks, computer and my cat and I am heading up to stay with my husband until COPR. We have been doing this back and forth for 5 years! I'm done waiting! I will get my other stuff when I land.

Crossing over with a dog is easy as long as you have proof of up to date rabies vaccine. I have no idea what rattie girls are sorry! Lol

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Mariac819 said:
We just got SA! I'm packing my clothes, shoes, pocketbooks, computer and my cat and I am heading up to stay with my husband until COPR. We have been doing this back and forth for 5 years! I'm done waiting! I will get my other stuff when I land.

Crossing over with a dog is easy as long as you have proof of up to date rabies vaccine. I have no idea what rattie girls are sorry! Lol
OMGGG Congrats! I'm so glad you're headin up there!!! It will be so wonderful <3 <3 <3 I'm happy for you, Maria!

Sry by rattie girls i meant my baby girl rats. I guess I'm just more worried about proving I'm not intending to to "stay" in Canada and just visit when I show up w/ a dog and 2 rats lol. I get really paranoid about border crossings! I definitely have a lot to ponder over. Maybe I will wait till SA to decide.

Are you going email CIC and update your address to your partner's address in Canada?

Yaak

Star Member
Aug 30, 2012
Salt Spring Island, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
05-06-2014
Doc's Request.
26-08-2014
AOR Received.
SA 01-08-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2014
LANDED..........
17-01-2015
Mariac819 said:
Getting the EIN# was actually a lot easier than I thought. I haven't tackled the AES system yet though! lol... one step at a time! :) :)
Thanks to everyone for bringing this change in regulation to our attention. I went online this morning and obtained my EIN, which was pretty straightforward other than having to pretend I was a sole proprietor of a business. I then registered for AES, which is even more cumbersome and bureaucratic, but still manageable. Note that they require you to pass a test on the rules of export. It's tough enough that you should at least read through the documentation before trying it. On the other hand, they do let you retake it until you pass. (I failed on first try; passed on second). The next challenge will be to appropriately enter the data to obtain the required ITN, which will have to wait until we have an export date.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
Amalthea said:
OMGGG Congrats! I'm so glad you're headin up there!!! It will be so wonderful <3 <3 <3 I'm happy for you, Maria!

Sry by rattie girls i meant my baby girl rats. I guess I'm just more worried about proving I'm not intending to to "stay" in Canada and just visit when I show up w/ a dog and 2 rats lol. I get really paranoid about border crossings! I definitely have a lot to ponder over. Maybe I will wait till SA to decide.

Are you going email CIC and update your address to your partner's address in Canada?
I cross every month and I am a nexus member so I have security pre-clearance in both countries already. BUT I am brining our SA papers. Also, my hubby is having surgery on 01/19/15 and i'm brining that to show that I need to be there for him as his wife. Also, I have a work from home position, I'll bring my month pay stubs for them to see I get a monthly income, plus they can call my husband and he will collaborate that he will pay for me while I am visiting. Also, my car is still registered in the USA and I'd have to return NY for 72 hours to export it anyway.

The cat - I am not leaving my baby behind - who is going to tend to her???? I always mention this to them and they leave me alone! Seriously, my cat is my baby! And I have no shame telling customs that! Hahaha she goes where I go! The officers know me by now though! Lol

Also - brining our marriage certificate to show we are married lol since I didn't take his name yet - don't want to change my passport until it expires.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
Yaak said:
Thanks to everyone for bringing this change in regulation to our attention. I went online this morning and obtained my EIN, which was pretty straightforward other than having to pretend I was a sole proprietor of a business. I then registered for AES, which is even more cumbersome and bureaucratic, but still manageable. Note that they require you to pass a test on the rules of export. It's tough enough that you should at least read through the documentation before trying it. On the other hand, they do let you retake it until you pass. (I failed on first try; passed on second). The next challenge will be to appropriately enter the data to obtain the required ITN, which will have to wait until we have an export date.
Awesome - I figured i have Masters in science - a simple export test can't be that bad right? Lol I hope! Hahaha can you reference the information as you take the test? Is it timed?

WDWgirl2011

Nov 4, 2014
Hello everyone!!

I am a US citizen married to a Canadian citizen(Just got married 10/24/14). My husband is planning to sponsor me sometime in January. We are living together in Canada now and we will be going back to my home state of NY for Christmas. I am changing my last name on my US passport to my married name while I am back in NY.

These are some of the questions I have:

1. I haven't done the medical yet but I was wondering where I should get them done. Here in Canada before we leave for NY? Or should I have them done in NY?
2. On one of the applications I saw was "Immigration office requested for processing this application" should I put down Ottawa?
3. Am I able to apply for an extension if the process takes longer than 6 months?
4. When would be the best time to cross the boarder back into Canada? Before we submit the application? or after my husband gets Sponsor Approval?
5. Do we have to mail in the application from my home state or can we mail it in from Canada?
6. My husband is going back home to Canada January 4th while I stay in NY for a while to wait for my new passport. Would I have any trouble going across the boarder back into Canada? (Coming to Canada last week, I flew into Pearson International and got pulled for a secondary interview and I was really nervous. My husband and I have been dating for 3 years before we got married and I never had a problem crossing the boarder into Canada until last week.) Would it be easier to fly by myself? If so, what should I say and should I have any documents with me? Or should I have my parents drive me across?
7. Does anyone think ill have a problem going back into the US for Christmas since I got pulled for the secondary interview?( this was the first time I ever got pulled to a secondary interview)

I really appreciate all the help and advice!! :D

Sincerely,
Samantha

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Maria, are you going to e-mail CIC and have them update your address to your partner's address? Just wondering if that's how you go about it, so the COPR doesn't get mailed to the states. I'm probably gonna end up leaving sooner than later.

PS I think that's a great idea! You should have no issues getting over.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
WDWgirl2011 said:
Hello everyone!!

1. I haven't done the medical yet but I was wondering where I should get them done. Here in Canada before we leave for NY? Or should I have them done in NY?
2. On one of the applications I saw was "Immigration office requested for processing this application" should I put down Ottawa?
3. Am I able to apply for an extension if the process takes longer than 6 months?
4. When would be the best time to cross the boarder back into Canada? Before we submit the application? or after my husband gets Sponsor Approval?
5. Do we have to mail in the application from my home state or can we mail it in from Canada?
6. My husband is going back home to Canada January 4th while I stay in NY for a while to wait for my new passport. Would I have any trouble going across the boarder back into Canada? (Coming to Canada last week, I flew into Pearson International and got pulled for a secondary interview and I was really nervous. My husband and I have been dating for 3 years before we got married and I never had a problem crossing the boarder into Canada until last week.) Would it be easier to fly by myself? If so, what should I say and should I have any documents with me? Or should I have my parents drive me across?
7. Does anyone think ill have a problem going back into the US for Christmas since I got pulled for the secondary interview?( this was the first time I ever got pulled to a secondary interview)
1. generally, it seems to be cheaper to get it done in Canada. set me back $400 in CT.
2. yes, Ottawa is your visa office of choice.
3. yes
4. anytime is fine. if you haven't submitted the app or are waiting for SA, make sure to carry copies with you to prove intent/submission as well as your marriage certificate. once you get SA, and they can search for your app in the system, all you'll need is your passport. (though I always carried my copies no matter when it was)
5. you can def. save money and mail it from Canada. the sponsor app, applicant app and relationship proof get sent together in the same package to Mississauga.
6 -7. no one can tell you if you can expect "trouble" at the border. each entry is unique. if you've been pulled into secondary, then expect to continue to be pulled in at this point. it's always recommended to bring proof of ties to your home country, so proof of housing and employment are best. have that information and your application info ready in case it's requested. don't offer information until it's asked. remember to not act like you are "moving" or "living" in Canada, you are only "visiting". Also, if you fly, you will want a return ticket. It's perfectly acceptable to "visit" your husband while you wait out your application. don't mention intentions of extending, either, they don't need to know that right now, and it can cause you issues. obviously if they ask, then don't lie, though I doubt they will ask. Again, answer what is asked, and keep answers short. don't elaborate. CBSA will mostly be concerned with what you have to go back to, so make sure to be prepared. you won't have problems going BACK to the states, this all only applies when trying to enter Canada.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
Amalthea said:
Maria, are you going to e-mail CIC and have them update your address to your partner's address? Just wondering if that's how you go about it, so the COPR doesn't get mailed to the states. I'm probably gonna end up leaving sooner than later.

PS I think that's a great idea! You should have no issues getting over.
I haven't decided yet. My mother will be collecting my mail in NYC so either way she would tell me when the COPR arrives at my place here. Plus I am assuming I would get an email from CIC letting me know that a decision was made. I need the COPR to cross into the Canada and land anyway so I figured it doesnt matter. Who knows... lol I am always worried about making any change to the application, its going smoothly and I figure if it ain't broke don't fix it! lol... Once COPR is issued we will drive down to NYC pick up my stuff and then drive back to Canada and Land.