+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen woman wanting to live with QUEBEC boyfriend to establish common law

travlgrl

Mar 3, 2014
I would like to know the best and legal way to stay in montreal with my boyfriend so we can establish common law marriage, then we would proceed from there. Should Itell them at the border that iI am visiting my boyfriend??? Or what route should I take so NOT to be turned away at the border.
I own a home in the states, currently not working but have about 20,000in savings. If we work things out of course I would eventually sell my home.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
travlgrl said:
I would like to know the best and legal way to stay in montreal with my boyfriend so we can establish common law marriage, then we would proceed from there. Should Itell them at the border that iI am visiting my boyfriend??? Or what route should I take so NOT to be turned away at the border.
I own a home in the states, currently not working but have about 20,000in savings. If we work things out of course I would eventually sell my home.
My suggestion is to make sure to bring documents confirming your ties to the us. so your mortgage papers or deed for your home. I would use the term "visiting" your boyfriend. In my experience they are more suspcious of couples not married yet. I wouldn't tell them at the border that you are going there to become commonlaw. That is not a reason for them to allow you in.

Once you are in, you can apply to extend your stay. I believe on that applicaiton you can mention your intentions for becoming commonlaw. I have read people have had success with this. It's important to apply for an extension at least 30 days before your visit ends.

travlgrl

Mar 3, 2014
Should I mention that I am taking classes ( they start sept and end late December) also me and my bf are renting a place together. Where should I say I am living while there. Should I admit we are staying together. I would like to remain for the fullm6 !months we are allowed then apply for an extension. What do you reccomend

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
travlgrl said:
Should I mention that I am taking classes ( they start sept and end late December) also me and my bf are renting a place together. Where should I say I am living while there. Should I admit we are staying together. I would like to remain for the fullm6 !months we are allowed then apply for an extension. What do you reccomend
if you do not have a study permit, you certainly can NOT go to a class as a visitor. That will be a red flad for them. It's best to keep it simple at the border, then apply for an extension later on so you can stay longer. Visitors can NOT STUDY or WORK while in Canada, so suggesting you will be taking a class without a study permit, will be paying rent on an apartment and intend to stay longer than 6 mo. is a sure fire way to be denied entry. You can certainly help your boyfriend move into his new place, and tell them you will be staying with him.

From my experience, since you are not married, they will be more skeptical of your intentions and have no problem at all turning you away. If they become suspicious, they will certainly search everything you have with you, including your phone and computer, so it's important to not be sending emails suggesting you plan to move, study or work in Canada.

Why are you coming to Canada - "to visit my boyfriend"
How long do you want to stay -give them a specific date
where are you from? - tell them you OWN a home in whatever state you live in

These are common questions i'm always asked when i cross the border.

when you apply for the extension with CIC, i've read it's perfectly acceptable to write in the application that you want to stay so you can become commonlaw. When you cross the border, this is not a reason for CBSA to allow entry, so be very careful about suggesting this before you're actually in. Obviously, if they ask, it's best to tell the truth, and you'll be in the hands of the border agent and their decision to let you in.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
rhcohen2014 said:
if you do not have a study permit, you certainly can NOT go to a class as a visitor.
Actually if the course is 6 months or less, no study permit is required. See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5269ETOC.asp

Courses that do not require a study permit
-Generally, a study permit is not required for:
-attending nursery schools or kindergarten.
-distance learning.
-audit courses (where a student is permitted to attend an academic course without obtaining credit for it).
-taking courses include in tour packages as a secondary activity for tourists.
-following a course which is not academic, professional or vocational in nature that can be completed within the period authorized upon entry into Canada.
-following a course or a program of study which is six (6) months or less that can be completed within the period authorized upon entry into Canada.

If you claim to be attending a course less than 6 months, then you would need to prove to the border officer that you are actually enrolled in the course and have paid tuition fees, so should bring a letter of acceptance that shows start/end dates and receipt of payment.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Rob_TO said:
Actually if the course is 6 months or less, no study permit is required. See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5269ETOC.asp
oh! good to know! i often wondered about going to a seminar or workshop, and was nervous it would qualify as "studying".

So for the OP, it's safe to tell them about your course!

travlgrl

Mar 3, 2014
Yes i actually am studying advanced esthetics in Montreal ( I will bring acceptance letter) class ends dec 18th but would like to stay till january
So when i get to the border i will show them my deed to my house my bank account balance ( if needed) and SHOULD i then say i AM staying with my boyfriend during this stay???? and last question at WHAT point can i apply for an extension and WHERE in montreal would i go, if anyone knows.
thank you SOSOOOO much

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
travlgrl said:
i then say i AM staying with my boyfriend during this stay???? and last question at WHAT point can i apply for an extension and WHERE in montreal would i go, if anyone knows.
thank you SOSOOOO much
yes, there is nothing wrong with you staying with your boyfriend while you are there to visit him and go to this course. the extension can be applied online or by mail. online is quicker, and i'm sure someone will provide you with a link of it, or you can do a search on this thread because it's shared often. you apply through the CIC website. it's recommended to apply at leat 30 days prior to the end of your visit.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Link to apply to extend visitor status: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
rhcohen2014 said:
yes, there is nothing wrong with you staying with your boyfriend while you are there to visit him and go to this course. the extension can be applied online or by mail. online is quicker, and i'm sure someone will provide you with a link of it, or you can do a search on this thread because it's shared often. you apply through the CIC website. it's recommended to apply at leat 30 days prior to the end of your visit.
The quickest way is to drive to Lacolle. Come back through Canadian customs. We did this a few times with my Korean common-law partner. We told them she was studying French at a private language school. They waved us through each time.