+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US -> CAN, Temp work permit through NAFTA - Question about qualifications

Dec 8, 2016
Hello,

My fiancee is trying to get a job in Vancouver, and we are looking at NAFTA as the easiest option. I'm currently here on a student permit, and she has made a bunch of contacts with various companies here.

My question is related to the qualifications for NAFTA permits and the relevant degrees. She has a BA in Poli.Sci, 2.5 years in the Peace Corps, and 3 years as the National Director of a financial tech start-up in the US. If we were to go by the explicit degrees and licensure requirements, it looks like she would only potentially qualify for the "Management consultant" title under the NAFTA jobs. It's looking like an accounting company is going to give her a job offer, but we don't know if she will be able to use it, since the NAFTA website says she needs a BA or license in accounting.

A lot of the other NAFTA firms simply say that you need a job offer, $150, and your passport at the POE, but do you also need to prove your educational background?

Thanks

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
That's a good question. From what I've read, the offer is the key. I'm also American, looking to utilize NAFTA, the problem is most places don't want to wait until your paperwork is processed. Good luck, if she gets the offer, I think the rest can be "figured out".