+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US-based applicants, let's connect here

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
@TECC_Seneca , that letter sounds fine being that recent. We just submitted two letters and no statements and were fine. They were probably about as old relative to the AOR date as yours but I think CIC kind of has to expect that since with these things you often end up doing them a few weeks early in case of any delays or other issues.

Thanks a lot @moose17. We will just stick to the letter then. And any clue about the RCMP certificate at all? Is it wise have finger prints ready and then apply for the certificate if at all we get that request during processing. Just because we may save time.
Or you think we just wait for it from CIC to request and then start the process. No one seems to know about this.

any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

No problem! I did just check to be sure and our bank letters were dated Aug. 30 and Sept. 6 (that was really the main one, we wouldn't have even submitted the Aug. 30 one except that it had our mortgage on it) and our AOR was Sept. 22, so similar ranges with yours.

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
He gave us a form to fill out for the PR cards once we have a "permanent" address. By which he meant when we physically move.

He was basically really into that we have to physically move first. Which is not an actual requirement. Tbh, he was a bit of a jerk. But it's not a situation where one can do much. So we just said ok, and will deal with it later. Getting approved was much more important.
Congrats. You can call to update your address to your relatives. You need a Canadian number to call though. SIN can be applied for anywhere as far as I know. We did not have a address at that point and put in our short stay airbnb address. The lady at the SIN counter said the address does not matter since they will never mail us anything.

Reactions: JERiv and moose17

s_spiff

Star Member
Dec 23, 2016
He gave us a form to fill out for the PR cards once we have a "permanent" address. By which he meant when we physically move.

He was basically really into that we have to physically move first. Which is not an actual requirement. Tbh, he was a bit of a jerk. But it's not a situation where one can do much. So we just said ok, and will deal with it later. Getting approved was much more important.
How did you "send in the form for the PR cards..using the same address" later?

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
@JERiv , congratulations! Sorry you got a crummy officer but yay getting through! It really is kind of a put your head down thing if that happens (that's where the massive amounts of time spent reading here help, since you know what's up so that cuts down the stress at the time IMO). At least in Ontario, you can use any Service Canada site for the SINs so I hope it's the same for you. It really made it easy. Do you all have any good celebration plans?.
No celebration plans really, just relax and enjoy our visit here with the family. :)

On a quick update, we got our SIN #s. VERY easy to do and the person helping us was great! He apparently has been to Puerto Rico (where I was born) a few times for a "salsa festival" that I didn't know about. Very cool. :)

Reactions: moose17

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
How did you "send in the form for the PR cards..using the same address" later?
The guy behind the counter didn't give us our PR cards, but approved our landing. So the COPR forms are signed, etc. For the PR cards, we'll now need to send a form ("address notification permanent residency card" form) to give them our "permanent" address. We haven't sent it in yet (have to fax it), but we'll do so later.

Again, the problem we had was just that the particular immigration officer we got was essentially trying to make a rule that we have to physically move to that address in order to apply for the cards. And based on everything we know that is not true.

s_spiff

Star Member
Dec 23, 2016
The guy behind the counter didn't give us our PR cards, but approved our landing. So the COPR forms are signed, etc. For the PR cards, we'll now need to send a form ("address notification permanent residency card" form) to give them our "permanent" address. We haven't sent it in yet (have to fax it), but we'll do so later.

Again, the problem we had was just that the particular immigration officer we got was essentially trying to make a rule that we have to physically move to that address in order to apply for the cards. And based on everything we know that is not true.
Looks like you can do it online too : https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/introduction.do?app=coanotify

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
Oh, thanks for letting us know. What did you use to notify them of your permanent address?
I called them and updated it. I googled for the number don't recall it now. You need a canadian number to make the call. I went and got a prepaid sim (for some 50 bucks) with enough minutes to make the call. I assumed I would be on hold for a few hours but my actual hold ended up being 25 mins or so.

Reactions: JERiv

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
I called them and updated it. I googled for the number don't recall it now. You need a canadian number to make the call. I went and got a prepaid sim (for some 50 bucks) with enough minutes to make the call. I assumed I would be on hold for a few hours but my actual hold ended up being 25 mins or so.
Yeah, we tried doing it online too, but it wouldn't let us. I'll look into the prepaid phone. That seems easy enough!

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
Just a quick update, we used my BIL's Canadian cell phone and were able to update our address for our PR cards. Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions!!! :)

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
To all you US citizens or permanent residents: did any of you have to submit Form IMM5669 - Schedule A or Form IMM0008E - Schedule 4 (if you were were PNP applicant), either with your original application or after an ADR? I finally received ITA on Wednesday the 20th after unexpectedly getting Ontario provincial nomination on Tuesday the 19th. I was referring to this document list pre-ITA to find out what all the post ITA docs I would need:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

I have filled out the first section of the PR application (with the questions) and have uploaded most of the docs listed on the next page.

I recently heard that we need to submit more docs than what's listed in that link and what's listed in the docs I need to upload:
Form IMM5669 - Schedule A http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5669E.pdf
Form IMM0008E - Schedule 4 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm0008_4e.pdf
PNP certificate

It seems that some people but not everyone is asked via ADR to submit Form IMM5669 - Schedule A, and some but not all PNP applicants are asked to submit Form IMM0008E - Schedule 4. Some people told me I should complete and submit both of these forms in the last LOE section of my documents page, while others have said I should wait and submit only if I am asked for these additional docs. I wonder if this differs by country of citizenship or residence? So I wanted to ask if any US citizens or PRs had to submit these additional docs?

BrittanyElaina

Jul 18, 2017
California, USA
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
Med's Done....
18-07-2017
Hello all!

It has been a whirlwind since my "soft landing" at YVR so I haven't been able to post a detailed write-up. But I wanted to pop in to give a quick update and possibly vent some new frustrations that I've run into.

First off, my landing at YVR was incredibly easy. I landed around 11:45pm, regular customs was quick and I was the only person in line in the immigration office. Entire process from departing the plane to leaving the airport took less than an hour probably. The next morning I went early to a Service Canada and got my SIN, it was also very simple and only took about 15 minutes. Then I headed to my appointment with TD Bank to open up a bank account, also relatively easy, I got the newcomers package so there are no fees for six months regardless of balance and no transaction limits.

That afternoon I went to my job interview and then enjoyed some time in the city before returning home. The next week I received and have now accepted an offer for the job! :D I'm very excited about it but oh man have things started happening quickly! I'd be lying if I said it wasn't incredibly scary finalizing all the logistics for the move. Even with having a plan there is just so many moving parts to it all.

So now onto my current issue... I can't import my car. I drive a Ford Mustang and my car, along with over a million other cars in North America, had a recall for the Takata airbag. This would be fine and I would just get it fixed however, Ford DOES NOT HAVE THE PARTS AVALIABLE UNTIL SPRING. I need to be in Canada in two weeks, not in the vague timeframe that is SPRING. But you can't import your car with any recalls. So my current plan is well... to just... not import it yet. Except that I still need to drive it across the border and have it with me in Canada until the parts become available in a few months.

Now, American cars drive into Canada with no issues all the time, and as far as I can discern there isn't even an actual time limit for how long your vehicle can remain in Canada because typically it would just be the length of the stay that YOU are legal to be in Canada, which could even be months or years if you are on a work or student visa. I've called the CBSA and basically got the answer that because I am a permanent resident I SHOULD have to import my car when I cross, HOWEVER even though I am now a permanent resident I don't actually have a permanent address or home in Canada yet and could therefore not register/insure the car yet anyways. So I kind of fall into a gray area and just have to hope that the border officer that I get when I drive through is sympathetic to my plight and allows me to drive my car across on the understanding that I WILL import it as soon as I have an actual permanent address (and at which time I should also be able to fix the recall and have it ready for import.) But I'm just very stressed about driving across now. :( If anyone has assurances or experience with this please let me know.

I'm pretty sure I recall some people here driving their cars back and forth with a COPR, which is essentially what I'll be doing, did the officer give you a hard time about not importing your car each time? I did list it on my Goods to Follow so that when I do import I won't need to pay the taxes.

Last edited:

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
@BrittanyElaina, first a HUGE congrats on the job! That's awesome and has to be such a weight off your shoulders!

For the car thing, we won't be moving for a few months but will be doing another visit by car before that without importing it, and as already-landed PRs. I'm just hoping for the best. Not having a permanent address yet should help both of us, I would think. You will want to be careful about how your car is being insured though once you start your job and are really a resident there. I would honestly worry more about that than the border.

I feel so much the same about these logistics with the final move! I have one list of things to do before our apartment-hunting trip and then another growing list of things to do after that and before the move. We're slowly but surely cutting back possessions in our home which is making it less intimidating, but still. We also have a house to sell so that adds another layer. That, apartment hunting, and the car are the most intimidating things for me right now (the car shouldn't be *too* bad but we do need to sort out if we need to pay extra taxes for it being built outside of North America or not and I'm so not feeling that task right now lol).

I have my own question - did you all get your goods accompanying lists stamped? Only our goods to follow was stamped. I really hope it won't be an issue. The only notable things on it were our cell phones and wedding bands, all of which are nothing special at all so in theory our worst-case scenario shouldn't be awful but still, I really hope not stamping that is the norm. It was so hectic and we were so tired at the border that I missed it until I was reorganizing our documents a few days ago.

And another question while I'm at it - has anyone looked much into cell phone plans that are good for calling the US? A lot seemed to charge more extra per month than I'd like for packages for that (fair enough of course, but $20/month between the two of us adds up) but I did see that Koodo had an option where for $3 a month per phone, you can call the US for only 5 cents/minute, which was very appealing. With our current timeline cell phone plan research is a low priority but if anyone knows of other providers worth looking into, please let me know. As much as I'd like to stick to apps that work over wifi (Skype, facebook, etc.), my family just doesn't do much with anything but cells and landlines so I'm kind of stuck dealing with this.

BrittanyElaina

Jul 18, 2017
California, USA
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
Med's Done....
18-07-2017
@BrittanyElaina, first a HUGE congrats on the job! That's awesome and has to be such a weight off your shoulders!

For the car thing, we won't be moving for a few months but will be doing another visit by car before that without importing it, and as already-landed PRs. I'm just hoping for the best. Not having a permanent address yet should help both of us, I would think. You will want to be careful about how your car is being insured though once you start your job and are really a resident there. I would honestly worry more about that than the border.

I feel so much the same about these logistics with the final move! I have one list of things to do before our apartment-hunting trip and then another growing list of things to do after that and before the move. We're slowly but surely cutting back possessions in our home which is making it less intimidating, but still. We also have a house to sell so that adds another layer. That, apartment hunting, and the car are the most intimidating things for me right now (the car shouldn't be *too* bad but we do need to sort out if we need to pay extra taxes for it being built outside of North America or not and I'm so not feeling that task right now lol).

I have my own question - did you all get your goods accompanying lists stamped? Only our goods to follow was stamped. I really hope it won't be an issue. The only notable things on it were our cell phones and wedding bands, all of which are nothing special at all so in theory our worst-case scenario shouldn't be awful but still, I really hope not stamping that is the norm. It was so hectic and we were so tired at the border that I missed it until I was reorganizing our documents a few days ago.

And another question while I'm at it - has anyone looked much into cell phone plans that are good for calling the US? A lot seemed to charge more extra per month than I'd like for packages for that (fair enough of course, but $20/month between the two of us adds up) but I did see that Koodo had an option where for $3 a month per phone, you can call the US for only 5 cents/minute, which was very appealing. With our current timeline cell phone plan research is a low priority but if anyone knows of other providers worth looking into, please let me know. As much as I'd like to stick to apps that work over wifi (Skype, facebook, etc.), my family just doesn't do much with anything but cells and landlines so I'm kind of stuck dealing with this.
Thank you!!!

So far, what I have found about car insurance coverage is that "According to the U.S. Bureau of Consular Affairs, all personal auto insurance coverage extends to US drivers in Canada, however, you should contact your representative about getting a “Motor Vehicle Liability Card / Canada Inter-province" insurance card” before traveling to Canada." But I haven't called yet about getting the liability card they refer to. I do also imagine there is some sort of time limit (I've seen 6 months mentioned in forums, but not verified it), however since I really do plan on doing the import as soon as I'm able to and I'll very rarely be driving around I'm not terribly concerned with it. Still more concerned about crossing the border I think.

I'm not sure if both my goods lists were stamped. I'll have to check when I get home. But I have to say the officer I had at immigration really didn't seem concerned with my lists at all. Stamped or not stamped I'm sure you're fine.

As for cell plans, I haven't explored them much yet. I'll be using Verizon's unlimited plan that includes Canada and Mexico initially and then deal with finding a new Canadian carrier in a couple months when I have less to worry about.

Reactions: moose17