+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent...part-time hours, less than 30 hour a week

vic2014

Star Member
May 27, 2014
Hi everyone,

I've had 4 different jobs over the past 24 months. I'm currently working 20 hours a week. All of my jobs meet the NOC requirements. My question is: has anyone here (or anyone you know) been successful in receiving their permanent residency with part-time work experience of less than 30 hours a week?

This is from CIC (May 5, 2014)...
"To apply for permanent resident status through the CEC, you need at least one year of full-time experience (or the equivalent in part-time work) as a skilled worker in Canada. Full-time work means at least 30 hours per week, and you need to have worked at least 1,560 hours in a year."

Spoke with an immigration lawyer and two Immigration Canada call centre officers today and they're all saying the same thing: your application will be refused because you don't meet the minimum requirement of 30 hour a week, "Equivalent part-time" means two or more jobs held simultaneously, totalling a minimum of 30 hours per week over a period of 1 year.

I've seen some post/users here say that as long as you hit the 1,560 hours mark within 36 months, you're good.?

Other users say: take your part-time hours, add them up and divide by 30. If you work 20 hours a week for 7 months you have 560 hours. 560 hours divided by 30 is 18.66 full-time hours. If I add up all of my hours and divide them by 30, I'm now at 52 weeks total. It's taken me 24 months to acquire these hours.

OP 25 page 5. says applicants must have a minimum of 30 hour per week, whether it's full-time or part-time.

Comments, help, links, anything, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reading.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Re: part-time hours, less than 30 hour a week

Hi vic2014,

don't stress out too much,based on the info you have given,you are now qualified to apply for your pr under CEC.just prepare all your documents accordingly and triple check your working hours to make sure you meet the required number.
this is the correct version:
take your part-time hours, add them up and divide by 30. If you work 20 hours a week for 7 months you have 560 hours. 560 hours divided by 30 is 18.66 full-time hours. If I add up all of my hours and divide them by 30, I'm now at 52 weeks total. It's taken me 24 months to acquire these hours.

good luck.

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
Re: part-time hours, less than 30 hour a week

canadavisa13 said:
Hi vic2014,

don't stress out too much,based on the info you have given,you are now qualified to apply for your pr under CEC.just prepare all your documents accordingly and triple check your working hours to make sure you meet the required number.
this is the correct version:
take your part-time hours, add them up and divide by 30. If you work 20 hours a week for 7 months you have 560 hours. 560 hours divided by 30 is 18.66 full-time hours. If I add up all of my hours and divide them by 30, I'm now at 52 weeks total. It's taken me 24 months to acquire these hours.

good luck.
Hope you've meant 18.66 full-time weeks.

vic2014

Star Member
May 27, 2014
Yes, 18.66 full-time weeks in that position.

Hoping to hear from a few more out there who's working less than 30 hours a week or can shed some light on this situation.

juju211221

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
cpc-ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2014
Doc's Request.
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
11-12-2014
Med's Request
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
02-02-2016
Passport Req..
DM : 07-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2016
LANDED..........
:D 22-03-2016
Hi, I'm new in this forum but I actually now some staff about CEC, look what it say on the OP25A :

The full-time work experience requirement for applicants in the CEC may be met by the
equivalent in part-time, paid work experience (e.g., more than one part-time job held
simultaneously or one or more part-time jobs held over the equivalent of at least one
year of full-time work).

So, YES, One part time jobs can works if you definitely get your 1560 hours after 12 months.

vic2014

Star Member
May 27, 2014
Thank you juju211221 and everyone for your comments.

It looks like the OP25 and CIC's website are direct conflict then.

OP25:

"The full-time work experience requirement for applicants in the CEC may be met by the
equivalent in part-time, paid work experience (e.g., more than one part-time job held
simultaneously or one or more part-time jobs held over the equivalent of at least one
year of full-time work
)." This probably means I can still apply having worked only 20 hours a week for the past 2 years!?

This is the most recent information on the CEC (found on CIC's website two weeks ago):
"To apply for permanent resident status through the CEC, you need at least one year of full-time experience (or the equivalent in part-time work) as a skilled worker in Canada. Full-time work means at least 30 hours per week, and you need to have worked at least 1,560 hours in a year. The one-year of work experience must have been obtained within the three years preceding the date your CEC application is received."
I don't have 1,560 hours of part time work experience in a year...I have the equivalent of 52 full-time weeks, but it's taken me 24 months to accumulate these hours...

Do you think I'm still eligible to apply?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
vic2014 said:
I couldn't find the wording you say you found on the CIC website, it may have been there and changed because too many people were misinterpreting (CIC cannot anticipate all the ways that applicants, lawyers, etc. misinterpret their guidelines). Current instructions (last update 09 May 2014):
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5609ETOC.asp

You must have obtained at least 12 months of full-time, or the equivalent in part-time, skilled work experience at NOC Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B. Full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week.

This work experience must have been acquired in Canada within the 36 months preceding the date your properly completed application is received by the CIO.

The OP 25 applies ONLY to applications received before January 2, 2013. OP25A is for current applicants.
www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op25a-eng.pdf

Most recent ministerial instructions (there is a time lag between publishing the instructions and updating the OP25A)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2014/ob572.asp
Footnote 2
Qualifying work experience is 12 months of authorized full-time, or the equivalent in part-time, paid Canadian skilled work experience in one or more NOC Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B occupations within the 36 months preceding the date on which the application is received. Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full-time study or any periods of self‑employment will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience.

BOTTOM LINE - You can qualify using part-time hours if you meet the equivalent of 1 year of full-time work. If you are using a single part-time job to qualify, it is a simple mathematical fact that it will take longer than one year to qualify. To me, it sounds like you are eligible, at least in terms of the length of experience -

BTW - when I applied, "full-time" was defined as 37.5 hours per week, my contract is for "at least 33.75 hours." That meant that my full time job was considered part-time by CIC, so I had to work longer than one year to qualify.

CECnew

May 28, 2014
Hi all.....

I am new here.. Need your help... mine is not a related question but I feel its a bit similar as two different jobs...

I have an years experience in two different NOC. My first job is 7 months contract job and then after immediately I got another 6 months contract job and now I have 13 months of work experience. but both the jobs are contract and its now almost a month I am job less just looking for jobs and doing some job for living. both the jobs fall under NOC level B. my question is

1. is it mandatory that I should be working under Level B, only then I can apply under CEC.
2. Also will it be a problem for me if I don't get another Level B job while my CEC application is in process and CEC enquires about my current job status and I am still doing a labor job not necessarily just in case.

kindly seniors please advise as I am confused to apply now or to first fetch another job and then apply.

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
CECnew said:
1. is it mandatory that I should be working under Level B, only then I can apply under CEC.
Hmmm.... it is not mandatory that you are working at the time you apply. It is not mandatory that a job be skill level B, only that the qualifying experience be skilled (skill level O, A, or B).

2. Also will it be a problem for me if I don't get another Level B job while my CEC application is in process and CEC enquires about my current job status and I am still doing a labor job not necessarily just in case.

With CEC - you either meet the qualifications at the time you apply, or you don't. After you apply, it doesn't matter if you are working, what work you do, whether you stay in Canada or leave... only that if you stay in Canada, you maintain proper authorization (work permit, visitors permit).

You don't mention what kind of work permit you have, so ...?

vic2014

Star Member
May 27, 2014
Seems to me like you qualify.
You can have one or more jobs at the same time as long as they are of the right NOC skill level (which yours seem to be).

Like jes_ON said, it of course depends on your current status/work visa situation.

A huge thank you to everyone who replied!! :)

I'll still apply, hoping for the best~

CECnew

May 28, 2014
Thanks jes_ON and vic2014 for your valuable suggestions. its a great relief for me now....

Thanks guys...

by the way I forgot to mention I ma on PGOWP right now.

OzakiRobert

Jun 4, 2014
vic2014 said:
Hi everyone,

I've had 4 different jobs over the past 24 months. I'm currently working 20 hours a week. All of my jobs meet the NOC requirements. My question is: has anyone here (or anyone you know) been successful in receiving their permanent residency with part-time work experience of less than 30 hours a week?

This is from CIC (May 5, 2014)...
"To apply for permanent resident status through the CEC, you need at least one year of full-time experience (or the equivalent in part-time work) as a skilled worker in Canada. Full-time work means at least 30 hours per week, and you need to have worked at least 1,560 hours in a year."

Spoke with an immigration lawyer and two Immigration Canada call centre officers today and they're all saying the same thing: your application will be refused because you don't meet the minimum requirement of 30 hour a week, "Equivalent part-time" means two or more jobs held simultaneously, totalling a minimum of 30 hours per week over a period of 1 year.

I've seen some post/users here say that as long as you hit the 1,560 hours mark within 36 months, you're good.?

Other users say: take your part-time hours, add them up and divide by 30. If you work 20 hours a week for 7 months you have 560 hours. 560 hours divided by 30 is 18.66 full-time hours. If I add up all of my hours and divide them by 30, I'm now at 52 weeks total. It's taken me 24 months to acquire these hours.

OP 25 page 5. says applicants must have a minimum of 30 hour per week, whether it's full-time or part-time.

Comments, help, links, anything, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reading.
Your part time job hours has completed your full time requirement and you can now get permanent residential address.

Deedle

Star Member
May 5, 2014
vic2014 said:
Thank you juju211221 and everyone for your comments.

OP25:

"The full-time work experience requirement for applicants in the CEC may be met by the
year of full-time work
)." This probably means I can still apply having worked only 20 hours a week for the past 2 years!?

This is the most recent information on the CEC (found on CIC's website two weeks ago):
"To apply for permanent resident status through the CEC, you need at least one year of full-time experience (or the equivalent in part-time work) as a skilled worker in Canada. Full-time work means at least 30 hours per week, and you need to have worked at least 1,560 hours in a year. The one-year of work experience must have been obtained within the three years preceding the date your CEC application is received."
I don't have 1,560 hours of part time work experience in a year...I have the equivalent of 52 full-time weeks, but it's taken me 24 months to accumulate these hours...

Do you think I'm still eligible to apply?
I second this question. I had a part-time job for almost two years averaging 21 hours per week but worked over 2000 hours. Do you think I'm eligible? I already applied because I thought I was! I guess they can only say no I suppose.