+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent...part-time hours, less than 30 hour a week

vic2014

Star Member
May 27, 2014
Deedle,

Please let me posted! I'm in the process of applying. Taking the IELTS in 3 days. Once my results are in, I'm mailing in my application as well. How long ago did you apply? Did you gather all the docs and forms on your own or use an immigration rep?

seab

Star Member
Mar 1, 2013
This forum is great for providing advice but if an immigration lawyer and two cic reps tell you that you don't qualify then trust the experts that you don't qualify. I can tell you from first hand experience if you work 40 hrs one week and then 20 hrs the next week you have only gained one week of full time experience because you only work 30+ hrs for one week. They don't just look at the number of hrs worked. They are looking to find out how many of those hrs were in weeks where you worked 30 plus hrs. Depending on how your employment letter(s) is/are worded you may qualify.

Deedle

Star Member
May 5, 2014
seab said:
This forum is great for providing advice but if an immigration lawyer and two cic reps tell you that you don't qualify then trust the experts that you don't qualify. I can tell you from first hand experience if you work 40 hrs one week and then 20 hrs the next week you have only gained one week of full time experience because you only work 30+ hrs for one week. They don't just look at the number of hrs worked. They are looking to find out how many of those hrs were in weeks where you worked 30 plus hrs. Depending on how your employment letter(s) is/are worded you may qualify.
Like I said, I was under the impression I was eligible because I had worked part time for 22 months gaining well over the required 1560 hours. I guess I will be rejected because my employment letter says I worked on average 21 hours each week totalling 2200 hours.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Deedle said:
Like I said, I was under the impression I was eligible because I had worked part time for 22 months gaining well over the required 1560 hours. I guess I will be rejected because my employment letter says I worked on average 21 hours each week totalling 2200 hours.
???? What on earth would give you the idea that you would be rejected? Everything in this thread says that you have met the length of experience requirements...

Deedle

Star Member
May 5, 2014
jes_ON said:
???? What on earth would give you the idea that you would be rejected? Everything in this thread says that you have met the length of experience requirements...
What the guy above you said! I don't know haha. I'm so confused!! I guess all I can do is wait and see what happens. If one door closes another one opens :)

vic2014

Star Member
May 27, 2014
I'm confused as well.

Keep receiving a lot of conflicting information. However, I've spoken with several immigration lawyers who believe that Deedle and I are 100% on the right side of the law. The OP25a manual clearly states that it's OK to hold one part-time job over the equivalent of one year of full-time.

I know 40 hours or more week only counts as one week. This is Immigration Canada's way of saying you cannot take any shortcuts and must have a minimum of 1,560 hours in a year if you're working full-time.

I've heard a lot of people say that 20 hours a week doesn't count as a week because it's not 30 hours, but that's confusing because 30 hours is their definition of full-time.

Deedle, keep up posted. I'm sending my application in end of June!

vic2014

Star Member
May 27, 2014
Cheers Deedle, best of luck to you as well!

And to everyone else out there: if you know of someone who's been successful in receiving their PR this way, please do share.

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
My understanding is:

You need to have the longer of:

a) one calendar year of full-time work; or

b) 1560 hours, if you're working part-time or have inconsistent number of hours

This means that the very minimum of time spent working is 1 calendar year (working at least 30 hour per week for all weeks) before you qualify.

So for the 20hr/wk, assuming this was flat every week, it will take you 1.5 years to get the full-time equivalent.

juju211221

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
cpc-ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2014
Doc's Request.
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
11-12-2014
Med's Request
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
02-02-2016
Passport Req..
DM : 07-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2016
LANDED..........
:D 22-03-2016
Only one thing is gonna tell us the true story ... OP25A .. AND, it say's this :

: The full-time work experience requirement for applicants in the CEC may be met by the
equivalent in part-time, paid work experience (e.g., more than one part-time job held
simultaneously or one or more part-time jobs held over the equivalent of at least one
year of full-time work).

Applicants must have 12 months of full-time, Canadian skilled work experience (or the
equivalent in part-time work experience) in one or more NOC 0, A or B occupations within
the 36 months preceding the date on which their application is received [R87.1(2)(a)].

SO, IF you have after 52 weeks, 1560 hours OR more in one or more NOC O, A OR B, you're good.
you just must have 52 weeks of salary AND, at lease, 1560 hours paid work in this category.

the OP25A is the most important rule for the CEC application. You have to read it and it says that yes, you can apply if you are working in part-time job.

vic2014

Star Member
May 27, 2014
Menic Monday, Juju,

Exactly! That's my interpretation of this clause as well. Leaves no room for confusion actually!

Haiderzaidi

Sep 12, 2014
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys,

I was following this post. Have managed to confirm the information if you can apply on that basis.

I have experience of 2 years & 3 months as a part time Accountant. I am i eligible to apply for Permanent residency ?

gberking

May 18, 2016
Hi folks! Super helpful thread here! Has anyone applied using part-time skilled labour experience and heard back either successful or not?