+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT:My partner is 3-month pregnant & we want to shift to Canada(we're expats)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Davidef said:
Here let me add: since October, in all sincerity, we have been basically staying together almost 24/ 7, due to the irreconcilable differences with my ex wife. However, the housing proof at the time was hindered by her the precariousness and unnecessary rigidity of her contract, which strongly affected us a couple. My question is: Would a co-signed affidavit suffice to prove we have been staying together since October 2015?

Also, could one renew an ETA from within Canada a bit before the expiry of the previous one ?
No, a signed affidavit would not suffice. You would need other proofs such as mail, IDs registered there, bank statements etc.

You can apply for a new eTA after the current one expires. Note that an eTA is merely permission to travel to Canada. If you are asking about staying in Canada, you would need to extend your visitor status.

Davidef

Oct 8, 2016
Thank you for your quick reply Canuck.

So if her and I - once we complete the one-year period (which qualifies us as common -law partners) - decide to go to Canada and stay at her parents' house then I can make use of the current ETA to reside there until august 2017 (month in which the ETA expires). Afterwards, i understood correctly, I'll have to renew it.
Right? But where exactly and how ?

One additional thing, which doesn't have to do much with this: I heard that busking is free and legal in canada (only in designated areas) for any visitor ; and that doesn't have to be registered. Is that true ?

You know, in case I'll have to wait months for a work permit, as she applies to become a sponsor.
If this busking story is true then I could legally help everybody indirectly, since i am a polinstrumentist too, perhaps by busking a bit ( and I'll feel less like a burden on their parents!). Is all this virtually possible?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Davidef said:
then I can make use of the current ETA to reside there until august 2017 (month in which the ETA expires). Afterwards, i understood correctly, I'll have to renew it. Right? But where exactly and how ?

One additional thing, which doesn't have to do much with this: I heard that busking is free and legal in canada (only in designated areas) for any visitor ; and that doesn't have to be registered. Is that true ?
No, not right. Please read my previous post. An eTA simply allows you to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. It has nothing to do with status in Canada. You need apply to extend your visitor status.

No idea about the busking.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Davidef said:
It will be classified as working illegally.

Davidef

Oct 8, 2016
Thanks for your previous information.
That's what I suspected; in this case, then, one shouldn't do that. But the confusion comes from a paragraph on Vancouver's official website.
It says:

Busking locations where you don't need a permit
Entertain the crowds at these locations – no permit needed:
Parks, unless specifically prohibited
Library Square, specifically the sidewalks along:
300-block West Georgia Street
700-block Homer Street
Queen Elizabeth Theatre, specifically the sidewalks along:
200-block West Georgia Street
600-block Hamilton Street
Science World, specifically the sidewalks along:
West side of Quebec Street
Seawall from Science World to Cambie Bridge, specifically:
East and north sides of False Creek
SkyTrain stations, specifically the sidewalks adjacent to the stations (unless refused by TransLink)
Terry Fox Plaza, specifically the sidewalks along:
700- and 800-blocks Beatty Street
Vancouver Art Gallery, specifically the sidewalks along:
800-block Robson Street

Toronto doesn't have similar guidelines ?

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Davidef said:
That's what I suspected; in this case, then, one shouldn't do that. But the confusion comes from a paragraph on Vancouver's official website.
It says:

700-block Homer Street
SkyTrain stations, specifically the sidewalks adjacent to the stations (unless refused by TransLink)
800-block Robson Street

Toronto doesn't have similar guidelines ?
That's not referring to work permits, but to city permits for street performers. Most city have regulations as to where you can and cannot busk. Citizens need to apply for permits if they wish to busk. They don't need to apply for work permits, but for permission from the city to perform at X location.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Davidef said:
It says:

700-block Homer Street
800-block Robson Street
They are talking about whether someone needs a permit to busk, not whether a foreigner would need a work permit to busk. A foreigner would presumably need a work permit, and then a busking permit if he or she wanted to perform in an area where a busking permit was needed.
To be sure, I doubt the police would check if you were busking somewhere where busking without a permit is allowed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
MilesAway said:
That's not referring to work permits, but to city permits for street performers. Most city have regulations as to where you can and cannot busk. Citizens need to apply for permits if they wish to busk. They don't need to apply for work permits, but for permission from the city to perform at X location.
This exactly. They're not referring to work permits but busker permits. These are two entirely different things.

You cannot do work in Canada of any kind (including being a busker) without a work permit.

Davidef

Oct 8, 2016
scylla said:
- Once she qualifies to sponsor you (i.e. you are married or common law) then she can chose to sponsor you using either the inland or outland process. The inland process takes a lot more time but comes with an open work permit. The open work permit will be issued approximately four months after the inland application is submitted.
Thank you for the information people.
One thing i didn't ask you before, Scylla: how does this open work permit function?
Also, how/who (me or she?)/ where does one apply for it ?
Once a person is sponsored, can it take more than 4 months ?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Davidef said:
Thank you for the information people.
One thing i didn't ask you before, Scylla: how does this open work permit function?
Also, how/who (me or she?)/ where does one apply for it ?
Once a person is sponsored, can it take more than 4 months ?
They say 4 months. My wife's arrived close to that time. Some times it goes over a little. But vast majority have it around 4 months.

Only inland applicants can apply for the open work permit. As it states, you can do most jobs in most professions for most companies with it. Only a few exclusions. You'd be applying for this with your inland application.

Davidef

Oct 8, 2016
Thank you for the quick reply, Profiler.
Where (is there an office? )and how does one apply inland for that permit ?
Online and along with the future sponsor? Or separately?

How does it work ?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Davidef said:
Thank you for the quick reply, Profiler.
Where (is there an office? )and how does one apply inland for that permit ?
Online and along with the future sponsor? Or separately?

How does it work ?
Separate applicaton, sent with the sponsorship application. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

On the application, the work permit type is open work permit. Leave all employer fields blank.

Pay the fees ($155 for the work permit; $100 open work permit holder fee), include the receipt with your application. Then wait.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Davidef said:
So I recall watching an episode of Border Security in which the CBSA officials mentioned that Buskers do not require a work permit to perform in Canada. I did a quick Google search and came across this which confirms that fact:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/permit/arts/index.asp

So, it seems like as long as you are a visitor, you don't need a work permit to busk.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
torontosm said:
So I recall watching an episode of Border Security in which the CBSA officials mentioned that Buskers do not require a work permit to perform in Canada. I did a quick Google search and came across this which confirms that fact:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/permit/arts/index.asp

So, it seems like as long as you are a visitor, you don't need a work permit to busk.
I recall that episode too ... wasn't the guy spanish or something??