+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT:My partner is 3-month pregnant & we want to shift to Canada(we're expats)

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
torontosm said:
Absolutely! And he had the most amazing mustache.
+1. I couldn't wear one of those, no matter how hard I try.

Davidef

Oct 8, 2016
Guys,

Thanks for all your help.

I am about to give my one-month notice and resign from my post here in India and my partner (almost 5month pregnant) and I are getting ready to settle in Canada.

I want to soon relocate to Canada my savings and provident funds (namely, those accumulated
during my work in India) in order to help sustaining me and my family (partner and unborn baby) financially during our stay at her parents' house.

I wonder what's the best thing to do in cases.

How can I regularly transfer these funds ?
Is it legal to deposit them into my girlfriend's Canadian account or her parent's if I am not allowed yet to open a bank account in Canada? (We are not yet common law and she'll sponsor me once she is)

Or else what is the solution?
I could also deposit my money into my father's account or my account (thru a legal power of attorney delegating him) and ask him to help us occasionally thru legal money transfers.
What say?

David

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Davidef said:
I am about to give my one-month notice and resign from my post here in India and my partner (almost 5month pregnant) and I are getting ready to settle in Canada.
If you're going to Ontario, then she will not have OHIP coverage until 3 full months after arriving. So she should prepare to pay out of pocket to cover all pregnancy and delivery related costs for the baby. I would budget at least $5000 for a simple natural birth, and $10000 or over if any complications arise. If an extended stay in hospital is needed, this amount could skyrocket.

I want to soon relocate to Canada my savings and provident funds (namely, those accumulated
during my work in India) in order to help sustaining me and my family (partner and unborn baby) financially during our stay at her parents' house.

I wonder what's the best thing to do in cases.

How can I regularly transfer these funds ?
Is it legal to deposit them into my girlfriend's Canadian account or her parent's if I am not allowed yet to open a bank account in Canada? (We are not yet common law and she'll sponsor me once she is)

Or else what is the solution?
I could also deposit my money into my father's account or my account (thru a legal power of attorney delegating him) and ask him to help us occasionally thru legal money transfers.
What say?
You can certainly send funds to her bank account. Or you can try setting up your own account or a joint account once you arrive. Some banks offer this even if you're not a PR yet.

Davidef

Oct 8, 2016
Rob_TO said:
You can certainly send funds to her bank account. Or you can try setting up your own account or a joint account once you arrive. Some banks offer this even if you're not a PR yet.
Thank you so much, Rob, for the precious info.
Perhaps I could try - only if it is legal of course - transfering my savings and redeemed funds into her Canadian non-saving account, wherein she won't earn any interest.

-Do you think it could create any taxation issue even if the money is merely for family use, deposited in a current (non-yielding) account?

- also, do you know one of these bank offering such accounts and, perhaps, if any delegated person can open such an account for me from Canada before arrival ?
(Like her parents e.g.)
Thanking you

David

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Davidef said:
Perhaps I could try - only if it is legal of course - transfering my savings and redeemed funds into her Canadian non-saving account, wherein she won't earn any interest.

-Do you think it could create any taxation issue even if the money is merely for family use, deposited in a current (non-yielding) account?

- also, do you know one of these bank offering such accounts and, perhaps, if any delegated person can open such an account for me from Canada before arrival ?
There is nothing illegal about transferring your money into her account.

If interest is earned, it would be minimal and your partner would pay any applicable taxes. There is no taxation issue with this.

No one can open an account on your behalf.

Davidef

Oct 8, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
There is nothing illegal about transferring your money into her account.

If interest is earned, it would be minimal and your partner would pay any applicable taxes. There is no taxation issue with this.

No one can open an account on your behalf.
Thank you so much for clarifying!
Considering I'll become a common law partner by April (month in which our baby will be born), when will I be able to apply for a bank account in Canada?

Also, do I need a work permit for it?

Previously in this chat it was discussed, if I am not mistaken, that the work permit could be given to me tentatively after 4 months from the date of my partner's sponsorship application. Is that correct?

P.s. we have a rent agreement valid for 11months and 30 days as a proof for the common law partnership

Davidef

Oct 8, 2016
When.. as in "after how many months of stay" or "after achieving which status" will I be able to apply for a bank account in Canada ?

Does anybody confirm the period of 4 months (circa) for the post-sponsorship obtainment of a work permit ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Davidef said:
When.. as in "after how many months of stay" or "after achieving which status" will I be able to apply for a bank account in Canada ?

Does anybody confirm the period of 4 months (circa) for the post-sponsorship obtainment of a work permit ?
There's no minimum - you can open a bank account as a visitor. You may have to visit a few different bank branches before you'll be successful.

Yes - assuming you apply using the inland process, it takes approximately 4 month to get the work permit approved.