+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unusual FBI clearance request

yazad05

May 30, 2018
Today I got a notification from the portal to submit additional documents. This was the message:

"This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada.
As you have resided in the USA for 6 months or more, you must provide a scanned copy of an original FBI clearance certificate."

However, i have NOT spent 6 months or more in America so how am i to show proof or submit a clearance certificate? In the last 10 years, i visited America for 3 weeks on holiday. Also, just wondering, if by mistake i mentioned i stayed in America for 6 months or more in my application form (which i highly doubt it), wouldn't they have asked me to upload the document before submitting my application? I studied in the UK for a year and was asked to provide a police certificate on the submit documents page, wouldn't the same process apply for America as well if i made a mistake?

Has anybody else faced a similar issue? I have raised a technical issue ticket but is there any other way to contact the Canadian team and see how to fix this problem?

Suggestions on what to do next is highly appreciated. I need to submit the FBI clearance certificate by 17th Dec.

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Upload letter of explanation that you did not stay in the usa for 6 months along with proof like entry and departure history on the dhs website and entry exit stamps on passport.

yazad05

May 30, 2018
Thank you. Would it be possible for you to share the link where i can find my entry and departure history on the DHS website? Also, will calling customer care help in solving this?

yazad05

May 30, 2018
Thank you so much Navinball. Appreciate it.

Unfortunately, this website provides information for the last 5 years only and i visited America in 2012. Hence, there is no information available.

However, i will send them my entry and exit stamps and see if that works. Is there a way i can check what i had mentioned in my application? I tried looking at the portal but could only find the section which tells me the documents i uploaded.

Lastly, while filling up the form, i had to mention the travel details of my parents and sister. Could it be that since one of them has visited the US more frequently i need to provide an FBI clearance certificate for them?

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
There is a trick to see the form you submitted. When you login and click on 'view submitted application' replace the last part of the url with applicationChecklist.do

No they won't ask pcc for family members.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
STOP

Okay, this is exactly what I've been trying to make other applicants more sensitive about...
Yes, the rule for PCC for other countries is, if you've lived there for 6 months or more, you should get PCC.

HOWEVER, I feel strongly about the idea that the case of the United States specifically is very different than other countries, as some sort of unwritten rule.
Firstly, yes, I have seen many applicants getting PCC requests for stays of just 2 weeks! Others even ONE week! And they were all just for vacations!
Second, the agent examining your case has the discretion of asking you for any additional document he/she think is relevant to the evaluation of your case.

I am fairly confident that the agent examining your case wants to see your FBI IDHS, regardless of your duration of stay in the last 10 years in the Untied States, and the reason why the email says "As you have resided in the USA for 6 months or more..." is most probably because they are using simple email templates, instead of customising them for each and every applicant.

I don't think that submitting your I94 history or passport stamps would do any good at all. Firstly, they don't need you to tell them that you haven't lived for 6 months because they can already see it in your travel/address history, and secondly, I'm 100% sure they already have your I94 history as part of your background check, as respective US/CA immigration databases are shared between the two countries!

Reasons behind such requests is a mystery. But one could argue that US police are very strict, and that many applicants would end up with a police record even for minor offenses, even if charges were eventually dropped. One could also argue that the US is the only neighbouring country with Canada, and therefore want to be absolutely sure that you didn't do anything wrong right next door...

Reasons are endless, albeit sometimes unfounded... But still...

My very strong advice would be to submit your fingerprints to get your FBI IDHS, and upload it as per their instructions! If you don't, you run the risk of having your application rejected for failure to upload requested documents in due time.

GET YOUR FBI IDHS. It's probably the easiest PCC to get, and it would be a real bummer if you'd have to apply again just because you didn't!

Seriously... Follow instructions, as weird as they may seem. You're not in position to judge the relevance or accuracy of the request.

Last edited: