+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unable to get a reference letter, Is it fine if I move that experience to personal history post ITA

crd1937

Nov 5, 2023
Hello Members. I have an ITA but my ex employer is not willing to give a reference letter. Is it fine if I move my that work experience to personal history so I need not provide any documents for it. My points will still be above cut off. Please help to clarify. Thank You!

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hello Members. I have an ITA but my ex employer is not willing to give a reference letter. Is it fine if I move my that work experience to personal history so I need not provide any documents for it. My points will still be above cut off. Please help to clarify. Thank You!
Not sure about moving work experience to personal history as a primary applicant, but you can easily attach a LoE with the email communication details with your employer(screenshots of email conversation) and upload it. You can also attach job offer/employment contract, payslips/paystubs, etc to show evidence as well.

Reactions: crd1937

canadasj

Star Member
Sep 29, 2023
Hi @crd1937

I think you have a few options:

• If you want to still prove your experience:
    • You can get a job duties letter from at least two of your former managers/colleagues who were employed during the same time period as yours. If they can give it on official letterhead or via official email, that will be best. Else get those letters notarized, and also include their proof of employment at the company
    • Include additional proof of your employment like @iSaidGoodDay mentioned.
    • Include a letter of explanation and mention that you requested the company to provide a work experience/job duties letter, but they are not responding (any email communication), and you are including other proofs including letters from your former managers/colleagues to support your experience.

• If you want to move a particular experience to only personal history
    • I think it should be fine as long as your points are still above the cut-off (which you mentioned) as the system will re-calculate your points
    • Since you are changing your profile post-ITA, include a Letter of Explanation and mention why you made this change.
    • Also, attach employment proof and any email communication related to you requesting work experience letters just to show IRCC that this was a genuine experience but you are not including it in your work history as you are not able to obtain a work experience/job duties letter.

Reactions: crd1937

crd1937

Nov 5, 2023
Thank you for detailed explanation. I have some supporting document, will provide it to IRCC. Hopefully they will accept it and even If they don't count that experience, my CRS score would still be above than category cut off.

crd1937

Nov 5, 2023
Not sure about moving work experience to personal history as a primary applicant, but you can easily attach a LoE with the email communication details with your employer(screenshots of email conversation) and upload it. You can also attach job offer/employment contract, payslips/paystubs, etc to show evidence as well.
Thank you well noted.