+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Typical Wait Time After Test - If officer requires record of CBSA entries/exits

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anyone have a timeline for what I am looking at for waiting for an update to my case post passing the test. Had interview with two officers, likely because my work takes me in and out of the states quite frequently. How long does it take them to receive entry and exit data from CBSA. Then review it to see if my data I posted on the online form matches what they received from CBSA. Maybe also can expect an RQ at some point depening on how long this data takes to be processed.

Any thoughts are appreciated?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
It will likely depend on the speed of your local office. Where are you? Simply asking for a list of entries from CBSA does not make an application "non-routine," but I have seen cases where this was the only post-test request, but it still took well over a year from the test to oath. Clearances could expire; it will take CIC a while to figure that out and rerun them and the wait starts to accumulate......

sudy007

Star Member
Sep 17, 2011
Toronto
Category........
FSW
once you have given the test, and are waiting to hear from them for the oath ceremony, does it matter if you are in the country or out of the country after that. Would they only be concerned if you have met the residence requriement of 3 years before the date of your application was received, or will they consider the dates even after the citizenship test.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
sudy007 said:
once you have given the test, and are waiting to hear from them for the oath ceremony, does it matter if you are in the country or out of the country after that. Would they only be concerned if you have met the residence requriement of 3 years before the date of your application was received, or will they consider the dates even after the citizenship test.
Does this refer to an application with an "intent to reside" clause or not? Regardless, one has to maintain PR status until the oath--so whatever you do do not violate PR residency obligation.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
MW2015 said:
Anyone have a timeline for what I am looking at for waiting for an update to my case post passing the test. Had interview with two officers, likely because my work takes me in and out of the states quite frequently. How long does it take them to receive entry and exit data from CBSA. Then review it to see if my data I posted on the online form matches what they received from CBSA. Maybe also can expect an RQ at some point depending on how long this data takes to be processed.

Any thoughts are appreciated?
Since its internal matter between CIC and CBSA we may not know the exact time frame. Probably the CIC can access that data directly from CBSA's database. However, it all depends how soon CIC would review it, approve your case and schedule your Oath.

Let's hope and wish you get the Oath invite soon.

As a precaution, get thru ATIP your travel history from CBSA, it takes 31 days and from FOIA, USA in 6 weeks. Although, CIC get CBSA report but might NOT have access to FOIA report. Upon receipt, you can send copies of both to CIC as an additional solid proof.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I would caution against sending them US CBP FOIA report, unless they specifically ask for it. If your CBSA report matches your declared entries more or less, they probably wont ask for it.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
links18 said:
I would caution against sending them US CBP FOIA report, unless they specifically ask for it. If your CBSA report matches your declared entries more or less, they probably wont ask for it.
Yes, you are right. Get both the reports, compare them and only in case if FOIA report required to prove your case, later it can be used.

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks everyone for the replies, on the atip request page what type of records do you request case files or corporate records? Assuming this is also a privacy act request. Just not very clear on the instructions here.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
MW2015 said:
Thanks everyone for the replies, on the atip request page what type of records do you request case files or corporate records? Assuming this is also a privacy act request. Just not very clear on the instructions here.
Make a Privacy Act request (Its Free) to CBSA (not CIC) for your individual entry/exit records (ICES).

PinkMagnolia

Apr 8, 2016
we passed the test on Mar 10. During the interview the officer was okay with the absent times of my husband (since he flies a lot back and forth to the US for work), but told me, she will make a request to CBSA for my absent times (way less than my husband's). we were told it might take 3-5 month to get an oath invite. I was quite worried about the delay, since now it would be a non-routine application :-(

I checked my ecase this Wednesday (Apr 6), still "in process". Today I opened our mail box, only to find the three invitations for the oath. Just checked back with the ecase, it only says "DM". I was crying, since I was so worried before. Now we take the oath on May 3 (3 days short of my birthday :) ) in Vancouver Expo Blvd.

so it was 4 weeks between Interview and request, and receiving the oath invite.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
PinkMagnolia said:
we passed the test on Mar 10. During the interview the officer was okay with the absent times of my husband (since he flies a lot back and forth to the US for work), but told me, she will make a request to CBSA for my absent times (way less than my husband's). we were told it might take 3-5 month to get an oath invite. I was quite worried about the delay, since now it would be a non-routine application :-(

I checked my ecase this Wednesday (Apr 6), still "in process". Today I opened our mail box, only to find the three invitations for the oath. Just checked back with the ecase, it only says "DM". I was crying, since I was so worried before. Now we take the oath on May 3 (3 days short of my birthday :) ) in Vancouver Expo Blvd.

Congrats, happy ending to long torture.

Husseinsyed

Star Member
Jan 26, 2016
Canadiandesi2006 said:
Congrats, happy ending to long torture.
I had my test/interview this week. The thing i concerened is, when officer checked my passport there was a stamp in persian that wasn't matched with my entry to Canada when i checked it at home after interview it was a mistake in translation which i provided at the time. Officer told me that she will cross check it with CBSA and i questioned that how long it will take? She replied within 2/3 days. Hoping that it will be done in 2/3 days but looking at posts here it seems it will take longer than that. I'm afraid.....

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PinkMagnolia said:

I hope mine comes soon not sure how many times you go in and out of the country and how close your minimum days were, but that may all impact my decision. But I to would hope to hear something this month as well for my oath invitation. congrats to you.

PinkMagnolia

Apr 8, 2016
I'll cross my fingers for you, that it doesn't take too long. Usually - if yourself are asking CBSA for the records - it takes around 4 weeks (what I now found out through other people). I'm not sure how fast the officers have a reply if they ask for the documentation.

MW2015 said:
I hope mine comes soon not sure how many times you go in and out of the country and how close your minimum days were, but that may all impact my decision. But I to would hope to hear something this month as well for my oath invitation. congrats to you.