+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trying my luck:-)

onse_k

Oct 14, 2012
Hello everyone.can someone give an advise pls... Me and my girlfiend have tourist visa already. We are planning to go to canada by january 2013. And we are planning o apply for work as well.is it possible that in winter season we can get a job? Or anyone can help us to apply for any job if we will be in canada? Plsssss help us.thanks:) hopefully someone will be reading my message and get back to me asap.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Competition for jobs with LMOs is fierce. I've applied for jobs I am vastly overqualified for and not gotten a response. Many employers only hire citizens, PRs, and TFW with open work permits.

Please note if your employer doesn't already have the LMO, it can take 2-3 months to get one. A work permit takes about a month. If your status expires in this amount of time, you will have to leave Canada. Also, if you get a job, but your gf does not, she will have to leave Canada without you. Overstaying runs the risk of being inadmissible to Canada in the future.

You didn't mention where you are going in Canada, so it would be hard to give any local recommendations. The job market varies in different cities in Canada as well. You can try Kijiji as they do post jobs with LMOs there (www.kijiji.ca) although as previously stated, I have never gotten a reply from any of those jobs. You can also post your resume on Kijiji. Kijiji is Canada wide, so you can search different areas.

That being said, don't get your hopes up. There are a lot of people looking for jobs with LMOs. It's difficult to get one unless you know someone.

eivol13

Oct 15, 2012
amikety's right.

I have a Canadian Citizen friend who lives in Kitchener.
His cousin is having a difficult time looking for a job. There are so many of them (citizens of Canada) who are still looking/waiting for jobs.
Kijiji is also helpful.Really helpful I would say.
Thats how/where my friend found his new job.

Good luck. Hope you keep us posted.

Lovie.Phil.Ceb.

onse_k

Oct 14, 2012
Hi amikety & eivol13 thanks for the advise. We are planning to go to Alberta. Hope we can find an employer who will give us LMO and working permit. Better to try before our visa get expired. Is there any place in Alberta where we can find job easily and less competition for those who are citizens?

As I heard for one of our friends, some malls posting jobs in front of their store, do you have any idea if we can pass our resume directly to them or it will be a problem coz we're holding a visit visa?

In immigration do they ask so many questions?

Thanks again for responding to me. Have a good day :)

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
onse_k said:
Hi amikety & eivol13 thanks for the advise. We are planning to go to Alberta. Hope we can find an employer who will give us LMO and working permit. Better to try before our visa get expired. Is there any place in Alberta where we can find job easily and less competition for those who are citizens?

As I heard for one of our friends, some malls posting jobs in front of their store, do you have any idea if we can pass our resume directly to them or it will be a problem coz we're holding a visit visa?

In immigration do they ask so many questions?

Thanks again for responding to me. Have a good day :)
I live in Calgary, AB. Competition for LMO jobs here is insane. Our Kijiji pages are filled with Visitors looking for jobs. If you find a job here, it won't be easy. The only routes that seem to be less difficult are live-in caregiver (and you must qualify with experience or training) and certain skilled professions (like pipelayer, welder) as needed in the oil fields.

If you're interested in traveling all the way to Fort McMurray, you could look into work at the oil fields, but work up there is hard and competitive as well. It pays extremely well so a lot of citizens and PRs take that work.

Many places advertize jobs - I see one almost everyday. However, 99.9% of these jobs in retail are NON LMO. They only want citizen, PR, or open work permit. You are free to go inside and inquire or drop off a resume. If the manager is in, you can speak with him/her, but you must request the LMO before they hire you. (Obviously you won't have a SIN to give an employer.) We have a TON of PRs here in Calgary - a lot of people are moving here because there are jobs open so companies can be picky about who they hire.

Some trucking companies also will hire with LMO, but you must have experience and in many cases, be willing to do over the road runs (away from home several days) or be legally allowed to enter the USA for deliveries.

If either of you have nanny or eldery caregiving experience or certified training (university), I can give you some tips of finding jobs of that nature as my sister-in-law was a live-in nanny for four years.

I would strongly advise you to go on Kijiji (www.kijiji.ca) and search "LMO" in the search field, then select the "Jobs" category. It will give you a better idea of how the competition is here in Alberta.

leycute

Star Member
Mar 3, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
onse_k said:
Hello everyone.can someone give an advise pls... Me and my girlfiend have tourist visa already. We are planning to go to canada by january 2013. And we are planning o apply for work as well.is it possible that in winter season we can get a job? Or anyone can help us to apply for any job if we will be in canada? Plsssss help us.thanks:) hopefully someone will be reading my message and get back to me asap.
seeking a job under visitor pass is really dangerous esp here in Canada. I'm pretty sure they will not issue LMO if your under visitor pass, a piece of advice, please be careful.. try this website, some of my friends used this and made it to canada LEGALLY, hope it will help... www.go2canada.com

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
amikety said:
I live in Calgary, AB. Competition for LMO jobs here is insane. Our Kijiji pages are filled with Visitors looking for jobs. If you find a job here, it won't be easy. The only routes that seem to be less difficult are live-in caregiver (and you must qualify with experience or training) and certain skilled professions (like pipelayer, welder) as needed in the oil fields.

If you're interested in traveling all the way to Fort McMurray, you could look into work at the oil fields, but work up there is hard and competitive as well. It pays extremely well so a lot of citizens and PRs take that work.

Many places advertize jobs - I see one almost everyday. However, 99.9% of these jobs in retail are NON LMO. They only want citizen, PR, or open work permit. You are free to go inside and inquire or drop off a resume. If the manager is in, you can speak with him/her, but you must request the LMO before they hire you. (Obviously you won't have a SIN to give an employer.) We have a TON of PRs here in Calgary - a lot of people are moving here because there are jobs open so companies can be picky about who they hire.

Some trucking companies also will hire with LMO, but you must have experience and in many cases, be willing to do over the road runs (away from home several days) or be legally allowed to enter the USA for deliveries.

If either of you have nanny or eldery caregiving experience or certified training (university), I can give you some tips of finding jobs of that nature as my sister-in-law was a live-in nanny for four years.

I would strongly advise you to go on Kijiji (www.kijiji.ca) and search "LMO" in the search field, then select the "Jobs" category. It will give you a better idea of how the competition is here in Alberta.
Excellent advice.